Going through treatment and working

2»

Comments

• Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    I worked right thru... Chemo in the morning then work in the arvo.
    I was lucky not to suffer any other side effect than hair loss.
    I even managed a 5km run each Saturday at parkrun..
  • Gizmo
    Gizmo Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Everyone for their feedback it has been greatly appreciated. I have completed my A/C treatment and have just had my 3rd Taxol yesterday and it has gone better then I thought. When possible I have started up walking in the mornings which has helped to clear my mind and get the body moving. Taxol has been interesting as there are some nights that I bounce off the walls and the buzzing in the hands and feet that take a day or two to settle down but that hasn't stopped me from working. I cut my hours back to half days to take some of the pressure off and am glad I did. I found day 3 and 4 (thankfully fall on the weekend) were the days I got extremely tired and if I could find the drivers of the trucks that parked on my eyelids on those days and tell them to park somewhere else that would be a bonus. LOL. I don't drive to and from the treatments and I am lucky that the hospital has a foundation car service that picks us up and drops us up for $5 one way or $10 return. Which is fantastic as if I did a cab it would be $60 each time. It takes a lot of stress off on the day. Thanks again to everyone.xxx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    ah Gizmo nice to hear you are bouncing along with Chemo .... 

• Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Well done @Gizmo!! Sounds like you are really looking after yourself. Big hugs xx
  • SusieT
    SusieT Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I’m not sure how I feel after reading all these comments. I’d always seen myself as so strong and capable and my return to work plans sounded just like yours but, after my first treatment, I’m not sure I can do what I’d planned. 

I was diagnosed late Nov with a 4cm mass in my breast and the sentinel node biopsy showed one cancerous node. I had a lumpectomy and bilateral reduction just before Xmas and can still be quite sore at times. My first chemo was Tuesday (it’s now sun morning) and this is the most I’ve been able to write (or think) since then. 

I was queasy and tired pretty much straightaway. Thursday morning I took my daughter to her first day of school and had a cup of tea with friends but went more downhill after that. I’ve been sleeping a lot and trying to keep fluids up but there’s been so much emotional exhaustion as well. I thought I’d be able to read or binge watch or whatever but there just often is nothing i feel up to. I don’t want to sleep all day but I do want the day to pass. I don’t want to be alone but I don’t want anyone around. 

I feel very lucky (even if it doesn’t show) for the incredible support I have — husband, kid, in laws, friends. We’ve had meals dropped off, lots of checking in and endless messages. My work has been amazing, giving me all the time off I need. 

I thought I’d be back at work tomorrow and do two weeks on, one off after chemo, but I’m worrying now that I won’t be able to do it and then I feel like there’s something wrong me because everyone else who’s already got so much less help can do it. I’ve got three more rounds like this before 12 weekly cycles of something else (then radiation then tablets). Suddenly this road feels a lot longer and harder than it did before. 

Sorry for self-pity but this isn’t how I thought things would go. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @SusieT I haven't started chemo yet (tomorrow for me) but it sounds like a similar regime to yours.  I am seriously in awe of those who have remained working.  My GP, however, strongly recommended against it and this was backed up by the surgeon.  So, my advice for what it is worth, is to listen to what your body is telling you.  You won't do yourself or your family any favours by pushing yourself too hard. (and I'm repeating what I've been told)
  • Gizmo
    Gizmo Member Posts: 7

Hi @SusieT, It looks like we are on similar treatments. I remember what that first week was like and I went through the same thoughts about work . I learnt a lot about myself that first week and truthfully I am still learning a lot about myself.

My first week of treatment, I reckon was my hardest out of all of the A/C treatments. The first night I was sick and up all night walking the house. I had the buzz and incredibly stuffy feeling in my head that just seemed to slow my thinking down. I couldn't concentrate on anything and when I could fall asleep it wasn't a peaceful sleep and then I was awake an hour later. Due to it being summer I also struggled with the heat. It was like I was having a permanent hot flush 24 -7. After 4 days of this, I was thinking I cant even contemplate working and was emotionally rung out. Self pity was starting to kick in.

But then everything started to change after my husband said just try and go for a small walk for some fresh air. Truthfully I hated him even suggesting that to me as I was still nauseous and my mind set was not good. But it was the best thing I did. I only walked to the end of the street very early that morning so no one could see me and it took me 3 times longer than it normally would but I did it and then came back and had a little sleep and it was the best snooze I had had in days. 

The symptoms didn't change but I realised that I could manage them differently. Don't hold off taking the nausea medication thinking you will be ok. For me I had to take it regularly for the first 5 days and then cut it back. I changed to smaller meals more often and I ate what ever I felt like I could handle. My first 2 days all I seemed to want was tinned peaches with custard or jelly. As long as it was cold. Even Zooper Dooper Ice blocks became a favourite and I never liked them before. Once I started to find a routine of what was working for me it slowly started to fall into place.

Day 7 was my first day back at work and I lined up only to do half days until I could see how I went. Thankfully I am early bird so found that I managed work better in the mornings and then had a break after lunch. After a couple of days I was back working full time but I didn't multi task like I used to and I had to use notes to remind me of things.

I also learnt that if I was having a bad day I had to take that day off. Don't push through as it makes you feel worse. I had to learn to slow down.

The second treatment I found was easier to manage as I knew what to expect but this time I got out the next day and went for my little walk and started getting back into my routine. it helped a lot and as the treatments progressed it also helped me deal with the other side effects and slot them into the routine.

That first week brings all our emotions and fears to the front as no matter how much everyone try's to prep you for what to expect none of us are the same and its this big unknown until we go through it for the first time.

But what we can do is be there for you and support you when you need it. I know there are times when I have wanted to talk about my fears but was too scared to discuss it with my family as I didn't want them to think that I wasn't coping and being able to access this forum has been able to help with that. The support from the ladies here has been fantastic and being able to read their experiences also helps with what we go through.

Lots of hugs and if you need to talk feel free to message me as I would be happy to chat if you need to.

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    As one of those who worked throughout, please remember that I did not fight my way to work through fatigue and feeling ill. I actually felt fine! I went off my food (no nausea, just not hungry) for a day or two, and I had some problems with really sore feet towards the end of taxol but that was about all that affected normal day to day living. I never needed nausea medication. There was nothing super-human, just luck. So don't make the wrong comparisons, most people feel lousy!! As far as possible, you should do what you need. Most people find there is a cycle, and once they know what it is, a great deal of chemo fear and uncertainty is reduced. Best wishes.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    @SusieT That was my plan too with work but I personally found the second week I was just lightheaded and couldn't stand for any length of time. I was exhausted
     I kept thinking each cycle would be better and I could work but had to admit by cycle 3 that it wasn't going to happen. I felt terrible guilt but I had to do what was best for me. Having the pressure off to return to work helped me mentally. Week 3 I was better...went to the pool and just walked with my sister and had a coffee out. Then it was bloods and back to the next round. I decided if I only had 1  good week in 3 ...did I really want to spend that working. 

Everyone is different on chemo and you can feel...oh I'm a wuss...some people are still running marathons on it. Well...quite frankly those people  are rare. My blood pressure was very low it turns  out and it's not something I could control except keep hydrated.

My sister used to come over and just be with me. I could only watch telly for short periods as too tired or it made me feel sick. It was nice to have someone to just get you out for a short time after day 14 to make you feel normal again.

Hang in there. 1 down. 3 to go.  What you are feeling and how you are reacting is felt by many many women on chemo. Kath x.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @SusieT I should also mention that I'm applying for income protection under my Super scheme and the deal with it is that I cannot work as I have to go 30 days without working or it sets me back to square one.  If you have this with your Super it's worth considering.
  • SusieT
    SusieT Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much everyone. @gizmo I really appreciate the kindness. @Sister good luck and learn from my mistakes! @Afraser I hadn’t thought about the fact that I may actually be feeling differently rather than just coping poorly. @primek so good to remember that I have options. 

Does anyone go to support groups? I tried to find one locally but haven’t heard anything back and don’t know if they’re even still active. 

Wish i I could write more but I’m super drained. Will prob read your msgs again later so thank you thank you thank you!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I didn't go to a support group but I did go to a counsellor - having more or less sailed through chemo, I got an arrythmia and lymphoedema, on top of peripheral neuropathy, all in the last few weeks of chemo and felt thoroughly deflated! Best thing I could have done, got my focus back on the right things and the wind back in my sails. As I say do whatever you need, this is a hard road, in some way, for everyone. The trick is not to lose your way or your sense of who you are. Best wishes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.