Last Chemo

Options
Barney74
Barney74 Member Posts: 89
Yah had my very last chemo on 6-12-17 so excited .now i start my Radiotherapy on 27th December any tips would be helpful if any thank you 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Can't advise on radiotherapy as I didn't have any but congratulations on putting  chemo behind you! Hooray!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    woo hoo @Barney74
     one down and Rads to go ..... Lots of ladies say Moo Goo is great begin now with it..... I didn't know about it when I went through and I burned like a a crispy salmon skinned chest wall
  • Barney74
    Barney74 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Thank you Solidercrab x
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    I was told to only use moogoo or pure sorbeline. I used both and burnt like a crisp. I had six weeks of radiation with the last five as boosts under my arm. I had a mastectomy and was told it would burn more. Best of luck, you may be lucky and only have minor skin reaction.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    For rads I was told only sorbolene which I did as I went, everyone is different, I burned and blistered all over the breast and under my arm at the end. It healed super quick thankfully as it was difficult. The worst thing was the fatigue from radiation, I was forced by the radiologist to have 2 weeks off as I worked all the way through rads. 4yrs later a recurrence! and chemo ummm didn't fair so well, had to give up work, its a beast! x Everyone is different, the staff are great and will advise you every step, easier than chemo, just a nuisance every day but not weekends.
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    WooooooHoooo chemo finished!! Best feeling ever! Advice for radiotherapy... for me it was far better than chemo. Take care of your skin as advised by your nurses. Exercise daily AND rest when tired to help with the fatigue that usually hits when you're done. Be prepared for feeling emotional and flat when you're done. Many of us think we'll be elated, but it's actually very anticlimactic. All the best!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Congratulations 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jgameau
    jgameau Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi I had single mastectomy + axillary clearance, followed by 5 1/2 months of chemo and 5 weeks of radio.  I did get tired the last week of radio and then for about a week after.  A different tired from Chemo, not the fatigue, just exhausted and needed to sleep. My naturopath suggested calendula cream which I used to apply 2-3 times per day to my breast and neck area.  I only had mild burn in breast region and a bit of skin breakdown around neck - all manageable. I found radio much easier on my body and mental state.  Good luck - almost there!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    It's a long haul but you are getting there. Well done! 
    Burns during rads are common. Mine were at their worse about 10 days after I'd finished which was a bit insulting! Anyway, by the time you figure out how your skin will react and what works to help you will be done.
    As the others have said, fatigue is a big factor. I drove myself to treatment every day and clocked up nearly 7000  km. I was really pleased about not getting in the car every day and slept for a week when it was all over.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Well done@Barney74  with finishing chemo it’s always a relief isn’t it.  No rads for me as I had a mastectomy so I only had to have chemo and no rads. I work as a nurse in gp clinic and have used a cream called flamazine to treat the rads burns on patients. As long as you’re not allergic to silver it works well and is kept in the fridge so feels lovely and cool when applied if you need it. If you do your gp can give you a script for it too to use at home. Margie x 
  • MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    I got pure sorboline from chemist warehouse, i think it was $7.99 for the tub, i'm not even halfway through the tub. 
    I have been using cortisone cream on my chest where I have had the worst reaction, although i've also got some dermatitis on my back. My radiation oncologist said i could use the same cortisone on that too, but I can't reach it. I just used it sparingly, then sorboline over the top of that and my skin has coped remarkably well. (i have the cortisone for flexural psoriasis - unrelated to my cancer)
    I have also had indigestion and some nausea as well as pain in the breast area, it's also a bit puffy. So I have pain killers for that, pills for the indigestion, pills & wafers for the nausea....oh & sleeping pills to help me sleep. 
    However, tomorrow is my last one... yay!! 

Good luck with your radiation, apparently nausea and indigestion are not regular side effects of radiation.. so likely you won't have to go through that. 
    I am claustrophobic, so get there half hour early & they give me a lorazepam to help me handle the machine. 
    I have photo's of me laying on the bed in front of the machine if you wanted to see what it looks like? 
    I've kept a regular thing going on facebook explaining step by step of my treatments for my friends and family, so had them take pic of me and the machine. 

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Barney74

Congrats on finishing chemo.  I had 6 weeks radiation.  I have dodgy skin at the best of times and was really worried about it.  It held up well until half way through week 5.  Moo Goo is excellent. I used it 4 or 5 times a day.  The nurses used some solosite and guaze when it started to fall apart then flamazine after I finished rads. Because of the silver in it I had to wait till the end to use it. Everything healed up really quickly.  I didn't have a  problem with the fatigue so that was good.
    All the best.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Yayyyyyyyyyy @Barney74 , Congratulations!!!
    Image result for chemo ninja
    All the best for rads Xx Cath