Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Xeloda -- foot care

Options
13»

Comments

• Chantellep
    Chantellep Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi Moira. Did you get any useful advice from your podiatrist? :)
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi Chantellep - yes she was pretty clear not to file dead skin off feet as I think you said -with neuropathy as well it is hard to always know how how much you remove. She also recommended avoiding urea based foot creams as they can make the skin thinner and more likely to split. So...she recommends just keep on going with lots and lots of gentle moisturiser -I use Aveeno and to wear socks. Today I wore socks and sandals -something I swore I would never do!! BC continues to challenge us in so many ways
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    Isn't  it  interesting  that even in foot care there are different opinions? Yesterday I  saw my oncologist. I showed her my peeling feet and she told me that I should use urea based cream such as MooGoo. 
  • Chantellep
    Options
    Hi @MoiraC
    I've managed to avoid socks and sandals by doing socks and sand shoes, and pretending I look trendy. I got some cotton canvas sand shoes very cheaply at a low-end chain store; the soles were really soft but too thin for sore feet so bought spongy inner soles so now they are really soft underfoot and because they were cheap, there is not much to them so they are light. And they lace up firmly so there is minimal friction. They also can come in natty patterns and colours because they are cheap fashion. I'm currently looking for some plain white ones (hopeful of an end of summer $5 bargain) so I can paint them with acrylic paint to make them more fun! :)
  • MoiraC
    Options
    Way to go Chantellep! Very creative -you inspire me
  • MoiraC
    Options
    @Patti J- goodness  -it really is a mixed bag of views!
  • Lisa1407
    Lisa1407 Member Posts: 258
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I have been on Xeloda now for about 9 months. I am in remission, so feel I can't complain about the sore feet and hands too much. I am on 14 days on and 7 days off and have just finished the 14 days on treatment. I had a 2 day break mid way through and lowered the dose for the last 7 days and have still ended up with red, sore, swollen feet. The only thing that helps is rest which is hard when you work and have children. I always find I am a bit down on the first couple of days of the 7 day break. I assume this is because my feet have been sore and take a while to recover. Anyhow, I will continue! Oncologist says I should get 18 months on this treatment. Have been on 3150 mgs per day, but will try to go without the 150 mgs and see if that makes a difference. Oncologist not keen to drop below 3000 mgs per day and doesn't seem too interested in altering the amount of treatment vs nontreatment days like some of you have done. I guess she wants me to have the absolute maximum dose I can tolerate. Boy, sometimes it is hard though! xxx
  • JeanMargaret
    JeanMargaret Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi everyone, i saw my oncologist yesterday and he recommended urea cream too. Ive been using moogoo and dermaveen as my feet have just started blistering, during my first week off. I start the second cycle tomorrow so I wonder what side effects will come my way.  At least my tumour markers have dropped. Have a good weekend all.

• MoiraC
    Options
    Hi sisters foot warriors -thanks for more info on urea cream -will check with my onco on Monday
  • Chantellep
    Options
    Hi all. I've found another product which appears to be Vaseline with colour and smell added (called something like Mango foot balm) that has worked quite well and it is soothing to have something that feels like a treat to gently rub in. The massage itself seems to relieve some of the discomfort, but adding moisturiser (and an excuse to sit down and put my legs up while it soaks in) are good for body and soul! :)
  • MoiraC
    Options
    Hi @Chantellep -Good to hear. At present I am finding  a combo of aveeno moisturiser and Silic 15 is working quite well as I shed away!