Just diagnosed

2»

Comments

• Vallerina
    Vallerina Member Posts: 183
    @Claudia21 hi. I wasnt given a choice as my dcis was too big for lumpectomy. Umm i guess  im glad not to have had rads. I wouldnt hav chosen mastectomy willingly i was draqgged kicking & screaming. But looking back im ok with it now. The recon boob is a good match  it was all over quickly and chance of recurrence is virtually nil as no breast tissue remains. They tell me I have Same chance as anyone else of getting a new one in the other side. I think its just all so confusing and overwhelming at the start for everyone. My surgeon said they dont give anyone tamoxifen aftet mx for pure dcis  because i did query why im not on it as a protection for my other side since my dcis was very high er + ??? @MaryAnnie . What a difficult choice to have to make. I hope all goes well for you. Xx Regarding mri i wasnt ofered mri my brother in law is a dr and he told me to ask for mri so i did. They did do it bc my bressts were very dense and ultrasound didnt show anything and mammo only picked up 2 small areas of calcifications . I dont think they wouldve done it if there was only one area. they dont offer as it costs about $1000 and isnt always reliable. It overestimated  my dcis at 9 cm !!!! I will also have mri at my yearly checks for next 5 years.  Interesting how differently we deal with things. My approach was to become a hermit. I have only told a few people even my best friends had no idea what i went through this year. I am finding im only telling people now as the trauma is fading and new normal setting in. Silly me cancer the crab hiding under her rock!! Hugs to all xx
  • Piak
    Piak Member Posts: 26

Claudia21 said:

Hi I've just received results for core need biopsy (DCIS intermediate grade) and am seeing a breast surgeon later this week.  It's a lonely and daunting time and I thank the ladies on here for your advice and knowledge. Obviously from reading posts on this forum I understand that the next (surgical biopsy) might show a different picture and different treatment path. But at this stage, based on what I do know, I wondered if any Brisbane-based ladies found a good oncoplastic surgeon who did a good job with the lumpectomy?  And whether those with DCIS have done ok with the lumpectomy + rads or ultimately needed mastectomy due to biopsy results or recurrence? thanks in advance

Hi Claudia21

I had lumpectomy +rads  2 and a half years ago, my Surgeon is Prof Owen Ung, he is very nice, explains things well and you will feel comfortable to ask him any questions. My operation went well without any problems.

All the best with your choice.

Piak