Post Operative Clothing

JasiB1
JasiB1 Member Posts: 18
Hi everyone, I am about to have a unilateral mastectomy and was wondering what I should wear home after the surgery. 
Sounds like an odd thing to ask probably, but my brain is scrambled. 
Thankfully for any suggestions. Jasi1

Comments

• nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    Hi @JasiB1my suggestion is a button up top or dress because you may find you have limited movement with your arms still. If you think you may feel odd going brakes then a loose soft cami top underneath would do the trick. The breast care nurse will most likely give you a lovely cushion for under your arms to protect you and possibly a seat belt protector cushioned thing as well. If they don’t then ask her for them as they are supplied by volunteers for just this purpose. Wishing you all the best with your surgery xx Lesley 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Nothing tight that you have to pull over your head. Anything else will be fine. A soft old pillow to keep the seatbelt off you is also a good idea, but it's very likely you won't have much pain. Marg xxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I actually went home in the same clothes I arrived in, including bra! No pain at all, felt fine. Best wishes, hope you have a good experience too. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I had bilateral. I had great big T shirts and knee length strech pants and flat shoes. Comfy, stretchy. 
  • JasiB1
    Thank you everyone for your responses and positive feedback. :) I ended up wearing trousers and a shirt - very comfy.  
    Two weeks post op and I think I'm doing ok.  Have an appointment with the Oncologist in approx 10 days....
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi, glad your op went ok.It takes abit of getting used to the lopsided thing.I got fitted for a prosthesis around 6wks post op and felt a lot better wearing it.Clothes fitted better after that too.Best wishes for your recovery. Tonya xx
  • JasiB1
    Thanks Tonya. The Op went well and I'm getting used to being lopsided!!.
    I'm now three weeks post op and doing ok, although I find I get tired quite easily and by late afternoon I start to get a little uncomfortable.  I've been wearing the Berlie Bra provided by BCNA and finding it quite comfy.  I will get a prosthesis fitted at the six week mark, which I'm looking forward too. Not sure which one to get, but I'm guessing they will help me with that.  Jan :) x