New member to the B.C Club

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there I have heaps of cool bandanas/ scarves you can have and I’d be happy to post them to you I’ll PM you now and give you my number so you can give me a ring and you can give me your address if you’d liked them. They are quite bright and fun and Im happy for you to have them.  Margie xx 
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Her is a great support group in Melbourne called young pink sisters. I’ll PM you the details. Margie. Xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Just a thought - I was certain I wasn't a wig person, but my terrific oncology nurse said it did no harm to have a look, I might want a change at some time. I wore a wig throughout! It was light and easy and I never had to go into long explanations at work or at leisure if I didn't want to. It cost $200 but I felt it was very worthwhile.
  • Salpal
    Salpal Member Posts: 43
    Thank you @afraser perhaps l will investigate when the time comes x
    @onemargie you are a gem.
    I am at eork at the moment so will look at your p.m tonight x
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I too am a page stalker... Diagnosed 2 days ago and feeling like it's been 2 weeks.  I still don't know exactly what's coming but reading the various posts at least gives me some context.  Go girls!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    HI @Sister
    Sorry you need to join our forum but this online forum is both supportive and a great place ask questions, vent and we get it. 
    No question is a silly question take a look around and ask away. 
    SoldierCrab
    aka Alice 

• Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Hi to everyone
    My first post! I only became aware of this website once BCNA sent me an email. I wish I heard about it sooner. I was only diagnosed on 6th December & I have my first appointment with the surgeon tomorrow (18th) with surgery booked in for 3 days later. May not be doing much for Christmas!! Still seems surreal, happening so quickly & haven't had enough time to digest anything or prepare, let alone the surgery options. i have been told the cancer is DCIS in early stage with no spreading to lymph nodes & they suggested breast conserving surgery. But with the reading I have had a chance to do & talking to others, you hear stories of many who have opted for a single or even double mastectomy as there is still a slight chance of it returning. How do you decide what to do & how far to go? So many questions, so confusing, scared I will make the wrong choice & not ask the right questions tomorrow. I feel like you lovely ladies are more informed than me & I have so little time to prepare for the surgery when I have only just found out my diagnosis. My brain hurts, I haven't got a breast care nurse yet & have just received "My Journey Kit" which I won't have time to read properly before tomorrow. A lot overwhelmed at the moment & the tears still keep coming. I know I will gain strength from reading your comments but I just don't know where to start & what to do............................     

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Hi Anne65
    Welcome although we are sorry too that you are here! First things first, do you have someone to go with you to your appointment? It helps to have someone whose head is not spinning (most of us were in the same state when first diagnosed) to help with questions and write down the answers. I had three days between confirmation of cancer and surgery but I had more limited options. Second, you need to know more about your pathology to date to know what real risks you may, or may not be facing. It's hard to make a decision without a lot more information. Bottom line, your surgery may be booked but unless there is some imperative reason why it has to be done then, a few extra days if it can be delayed, to consider your options are unlikely to be critical. You will hear many bits of advice repeated; cry by all means, it helps with the shock; don't go to Dr Google - get proper researched information of course, ask your surgeon and oncologist for written information, use the links on this website; and take one step at a time. Don't rush headlong into things without feeling as sure as you can and don't fret about things that haven't happened yet. Your diagnosis is a shock but words like early stage and no spread are very good words! I hope your appointment clarifies things for you. Best wishes.

• Anne65
    Thanks AFraser. Yes, my husband is coming with me so hopefully his head will absorb more info than mine! It would be nice to have more time between initial visit & surgery but maybe they wanted me in & out before Christmas & I come from the country so travelling is an issue. Hopefully after tomorrow a lot of the questions can be answered & I have been told my surgeon is highly recommended so I will be guided by her thoughts. Thanks for your words of wisdom & you're right, one day at a time. I like to be in control normally but this is so out of your control! xx
  • Sister
    I know exactly how you're feeling @Anne65.  I was diagnosed about 10 days ago and have surgery on Thursday.  I still don't know which side is up.  I've at least met the surgeon a couple of times.  I'm also have the breast conserving surgery on the advice of the surgeon but with the proviso that I am willing to go in again for a second op the following week if he's not happy that there's clear margins.  I like to know where I'm going and when and feel completely out of control.  All of the advice I've taken from this network has helped me to try to contain my thinking (when I can) and I'm trying to not look past the surgery at this stage.  I do have bad moments though - at my daughter's primary school graduation the other night and wondering if I'll see her high school one.  I could just scream at everything!  I digress... good luck with your surgery and I hope that your Christmas is a good one.
  • buster
    buster Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Anne65 and @Sister. I too have dcis no lymph node involvement. I actually went in being told it was benign so thought that was the end ah nope only to find out it was cancer and went in and had breast conservative surgery, had the tumor  (in fact two as I found out when the pathology came back) and have now started radiation  (today is day 3). No chemo needed as it was not invasive and after radiation will go on hormone therapy  (letrozole) as I am menopausal. I too have found it a bit much my head in a fog for awhile. Hubby came to surgeons and oncology appointments as he could ask his own questions. So far no side effects. My advice is take one appointment at a time deep breath  and go forward from each appointment with each bit of information you obtain. The big "c" word is frightening and daunting. Do the best you can and dont be hard on yourself. Good luck keep us posted and I will too xxx Jill
  • Anne65
    Thanks @Sister and @buster! so lovely to hear your comments. Sounds like we have similar stories, @sister, & were diagnosed around the same time & will be going under the knife on the same day! My thoughts will be with you as I know we will both be going through the same feelings & emotions together. I will be holding your hand every step of the way & hoping the best of outcomes for us both. You're right, @buster, one day at a time as it doesn't pay to look too far ahead in case things change along the way. I had my first appointment with the surgeon yesterday & am booked in for surgery Thursday. I went in feeling overwhelmed as I thought I would have to make many decisions about the surgery but the surgeon was so clear & decisive about her surgery plan for me that I didn't have to make any decisions...which I am normally not good at, especially when it comes to life changing decisions like this! As the DCIS hasn't spread, she is going to do a lumpectomy & also fill in the crease left behind with other tissue to fill in my "gap". She told me not to look too far ahead so all my questions didn't need to be asked! I may or may not be needing radiotherapy after, depending on what she finds in there & I don't need any lymph node treatment as there is no spread. I must admit, leaving the surgeon's room, I felt relief as she had a clear direction & she made all my decisions for me. Until surgery, I guess she doesn't know what else she may find but at least I know she hasn't taken off 1 or 2 boobs when she doesn't need to. Thanks ladies, for your support. How lovely to know we have friends going through this with us & that we aren't alone going crazy!! Good luck to you both & everyone going through this. Fingers crossed for us both @sister for Thursday & please let me know how you got on. xxxx
  • buster
    buster Member Posts: 22
    Hi @Anne65 I am glad you came out a little relieved. This was the stage I was at one month ago. I will give you a giggle or just call silly. I had my op and went home bound up in tubing. At first i thought when I had a peep nothing much has changed bit of a 3cm scar but nice and rounded. I forgot how swollen it would be. Now a couple of weeks past it looks a bit caved in and flat on the side. It doesn't matter as I always wear a padded bra and noone sees it anyway but here I was thinking ooh still round and shapely. I have a bit of a  giggle still thinking if people only knew how silly I was. I embrace what I have now no different to me. I still think I have got off lightly compared to alot of other women who have been through so much more. Good luck for Thursday. Rest up and be kind to yourself afterwards. xxxx Jill
  • Sister
    Will do, @Anne65.  Positive thoughts!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Best wishes to all that are in the throws of surgery or recovery!  Regardless of time of year when you first start out it is so daunting!  I personally learnt about BCNA in my information pack from my Breast care nurse when I was in hospital awaiting surgery.  
    Take care and speedy recovery and remember the most important thing in all of this is you!  Put yourself first, for once, as it will help!