Plaques on the beach

Options
Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
I live in a glorious area with a magnificent beach with miles and miles of sand for walks. The other day I walked a little further than usual (bad idea, sore feet and lymphodema afterwards) and came across eroded trees on the beach with metal plaques screwed into them, commemorating lost loved ones from cancer.
One had the pink ribbon shape embossed on it. Now while I think it nice that someone wanted to do something to remember them, there are more of these tags being put on trees not by council but by the public.
I walk on the beach to help dull the Tinnitus ringing in my ears as the waves block it out and for the sense of calm and admiration of nature but these plaques are really bugging me. I get that they are a commemoration for someone who didn't survive the cancer but do I really need to be reminded of it along the beach?
It could just be the Tamoxifen side effect giving me a short fuse on things but it is bugging me.

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Perhaps the loved ones ashes were scattered at sea and that is the nearest point for them to be able to commemorate!  
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @Brenda5, I like the idea that the lovelies who are mentioned on the plaques are remembered in a tranquil, beautiful environment when the plaques are read and names sounded. I reckon I'd like to be remembered in a setting with some wild nature that has a bit of spirit to it. Don't exactly know how good it is for the tree's themselves though, but I'm sure National Parks would do something if it was harming the trees. You could always take a beer along and have a sip and toast each lovely mentioned on the plaque and by the time you finish you might not be finding them so annoying - just don't drive afterwards ;) Xx
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    We lived in a small seaside village in South Africa before coming to Australia. Along the seaside cliff paths, there were benches which used to have commemorative plaques on them. I presume the benches were paid for by those families. I found it very peaceful and allowed me to reflect on life.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Lucky you to live in a glorious area with a magnificent beach with miles and miles of sand for walks - share a thought for the owners of those names on the plaques - they can no longer see what you can see !
    If you are conc
    erned about the actual trees perhaps be proactive in getting the plaques put somewhere that does not attack your senses. 
    If it is a Tamoxifen side effect giving you a short fuse on things perhaps this is a sign from above not to walk that way. 
    Bear a thought for those gone before and for their grieving relatives.
    Ignore the tinnitus - listen with closed eyes to the sound of the beach.

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Yes it isn't a walk I could do every day or even once a week, oh my feet! lol