Letrazole

Options
MKitty68
MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
This is the hormone blocker my oncologist has suggested he will be putting me on 4 weeks after I finish radiation.
I need to have a blood test to confirm my ovaries are no longer active (i went through an early menopause 10 years ago) and also a dexa scan to check my bone density first. 
Has anyone here been on Letrazole or are on it now?
Thanks in advance.
Cat
Tagged:

Comments

• brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi mkitty
    As 60% of bc diagnosis are hormone po 's itive there are many of us who are taking this AI therapy and lots have minimal side effects.myself i have been on for 15 months with min side effects. Joints ache cold weather..prickly heat hot weather ..but i 
    Have Mets bc    so still working for me
    Be proactivive with this drug to lessen side effects
    Walking excellent
    Reccomend getting b one density test to establish bone health
    Add Calcium vitamin D 
    Watch blood pressure ..im on low dose bp tab
    Watch cholesterol..im on low dose statin
    Also consider asprin for blood th I nner as SEcould be blood clots
    Lots of hints from others to come 
    All the best B
  • MKitty68
    Options
    @brightspace thank you :-) 

My bp seems to be really good, usually it's lowish, so is around low-normal at the moment. He's ordering the bone density to be done soon, i'm already on calcium & vit D on his recommendation during chemo. My cholesterol is generally good, although it's not been checked lately. 

Walking i really need to get back to though, not hard as I have 2 young American Staffy's (2.5 & 4 years old) that need walking ;-) I haven't done much walking due to lethargy from chemo, but have started trying to get out there a bit with them. The 4 year old is new to my family, having only adopted him 4 weeks ago, but he's fitting in so well with us, but has needed some training, and as I am the definite Alpha with my dogs, and my partner has no real experience with larger dogs, it's been up to me. 

With doing dose dense chemo it's been one hell of a ride!
    I am definitely wanting a reconstruction, and considering asking for the other side to be taken off with immediate recon at the same time. I had skin & nipple sparing mastectomy in May which went really well. 

I was lucky to have caught my bc before it became mets - I had 17 lymph nodes, all removed and all were + for bc, so i guess i dodged a bullet there. My tumours were also only 1mm from my chest wall. Who knows where it would have spread to. I feel very lucky indeed! 
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Ive been on for quite a while at first cramps in legs so upped my magnesium and this worked a treat and very stiff for about a month but othetwise a great experience.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Hi MKitty68, 

i have been on Femara for four and a half years. I have had no aches, pains, flushes etc at all. It can have an effect on bone density so a test will be done to check your current levels before you start. Mine was extremely good before I started, there has been an impact but I should get through 5 years OK. My bone density will probably then be average for my age, but so be it. I have had no accidents or bone related injuries. Femara can also cause vaginal dryness. This is pretty variable and there are lubricants available, but worth discussing. My oncologist encourages me to keep up dairy - low fat milk, yoghurt seems OK. I have also taken Vitamin D and calcium. Best wishes.
  • MKitty68
    Options
    @adean@Afraser thanks for your replies.
    I have bad vaginal dryness & lack of libido from Paclitaxel already, so hoping it's not too bad. 
    I eat bananas, but may look at a magnesium supplement I think, I already have issues with my legs due to arthritis. I also take a Vitamin D & Calcium supplement, and a B group supplement. 

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Oh my yes l forgot the libidio yep thats gone lol. I just love my bed   to sleep xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hiya. I've been on letrozole about 14 months now. Initially I had painful wrists and ankles but that has lessened. The odd day it's bad (and when I swim with just a kickboard my ankles kill me)
    Initially my libido plummeted and the nether-region was teribbley dry. However my body seems to have adapted a bit. Only need lubricant now for the marital business and not all the time. Libido is back somewhat but of course not what it was pre menopause anyway. For some bizarre reason when fitter and have aching muscles I'm more interested... maybe its all the pain stimuli....haha. My post chemo and  pre letrozole bone density scan showed a dranatic drop. However 12 months on and I'm within normal bone loss and possibly even gained some back in hips. I'm now doing weights to try to increase my back bone density. Next test 2 years. I haven't had any more hot flushes than I had post menopause but have a fan handy just in case. Wine, coffee and cooking always results in a hot flush but I persist regardless. Kath x
  • MKitty68
    Options
    @primek thanks for your reply, and a giggle re: wine, etc.. i'm allergic to sulfates, so a few drops in the bottle of food grade peroxide is needed for me, or i get bad leg cramps & flushes from wine. 
    I've had hot flushes with Pacletaxel, and of course the neuropathy. 
    I'm keen to get my libido back & try something for the vag dryness as it can be really uncomfortable during sex & needing lube all the time can be a bit of a put off, my relationship is only 6 months in. Luckily he's a very understanding guy with hormone issues of his own - he was born with a hormone disorder & needs regular Testosterone injections, so also has fluctuating hormones and all that come with that. 
    Pre-cancer I was on HRT, and my libido was really high, which was pretty normal for me... to the point it scared some poor buggers off when I was casually dating LOL so the thought of living with a low to non-existent libido is a bit hard to handle for me. 
  • primek
    Options
    Taxol killed my libido. I did find a few months on the dryness improved a lot (which seemed to help the actual desire weirdly). My husband has testosterone injections too so we have our struggles. A netflex night of "outlander" can help.  :D
  • MKitty68
    Options
    oooh i'm yet to start watching that.... may have to give that a try! *grin* 
    I've had topical estrogen, which he's said I could use during chemo from time to time, but i've no used it at all as i'd need to time it between his T shots, his often weird work hours & my chemo. 
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Hi @MKitty68, I will be starting on that soon too. I have another week left of rads and then I guess I will have to take this Crap. Hope it works well for you with minimal effects. Chemo has left me  with aching joints all over so am nervous to start it.
  • primek
    Options
    A holiday with just 2 of us cured our timing and got us back on track. I did try "replens" moisturiser  applicators. You use it twice a week to start with. Like moisturising your face...needs regular application. I have heard the "yess" products are good but only available on line. As my issue has settled I haven't bought it. 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    I use the Replens lubrication and find it good, but I also need to use a vaginal wash and daily external moisturiser too to prevent the outer skin drying out and hurting.
    The best thing I have found after suffering very uncomfortable sex for quite a few months was the Pujr water based lubricant. Bought it at an adult shop while on holidays and it made all the difference.
    It has actually helped my libido because I am not afraid of the pain which kills the enjoyment stone dead.
    Now just to get over the chest infection and radiation burns and I might feel like going there again.
  • MKitty68
    Options
    I have to be really careful with what lubricants I use. 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I’ve been on Letrozole 12 weeks now and managing ok so far. I walk daily for an hour and do gentle stretch/ balance class twice weekly plus now doing hydrotherapy Encore class once a week for 2 hours. I also take Caltrate Bone Health 2 per day and am on 6 monthly Prolia injections as was osteoporotic when I started Letrozole. Walking helps a lot with my head space and joints - I find I can walk thru the odd bits of joint pain .Only real problem I have noted is my usual very low cholesterol has more than doubled so am trying to be very vigilant with what I eat rather than statins which caused major memory problems after 6 months - I do take low dose aspirin daily too . My oncologist recommended krill oil for joint pain- have purchased but yet to need them.