Cognitive fog

steplightly
steplightly Member Posts: 185
Hi everyone  I have a question about cognitive effects after radiation. I know it isnt the head that gets zapoed. I finished 3 week treatment  3rd sept and in the past couple of weeks I have found I am very slow in thinking. Finding words (I am usually a wizz at this) and just overall foggy. I didnt have chemo and am not taking hormone inhibitor.  I had no obvious side effects during or after treatnent but wondering if fatigue may be setting in a bit. Anyone else experienced this? Thanks for reading

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I got the trifecta of chemo, menopause and Tamoxifen but thankfully I managed to dodge the radiation. My brain is still foggy from the chemo but I think the Tamoxifen and menopause do contribute as well. Perhaps the radiation lowered your brains Oxytocin levels too?
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Radiotherapy does bring on fatigue which will have an impact on thought processes and as I found for months afterwards - there are longer term side effects of radiation might be worth a look up
  • Romla
    @steplightly as odd as it sounds I found a daily one hour walk helps both with fatigue and brain functioning- and also I try to eat more fish as that seems to improve mental acuity
  • steplightly
    Thanks for the info  I do walk each day and at work also intentionally with my dog and eat fish regularly Also no sugar or processed foods at all  Could probably add more fish in so thanks Romla  I hadnt thought abought reduced oxytocin possibiloties Brenda5 so appreciate that thought  In reality I got off very lightly in this whole diagnosis treatment etc  I will revisit long term side effects  especially for the type of radiation I did have  Thanks for taking time to respond  Hugs
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Yes, steplightly, but I found I had it after chemo, still after mastectomy and it got worse during radiation.
    Not sure if it has something to do with being very tired too, as I am much worse as I get tired, even to the extent that I can no longer carry on a conversation.
    I am hoping it gets better, but have heard it can take some time.
  • steplightly
    Thanks Unicornkisses  I only had lumpectomy and sentinal node surgery  and thankfully no node involvement I literally just healed with no issues and nothing with radiation My rad onc is surprised by this. So maybe some delayed effects will come. Ireally have nothing to whinge about at all if this is sum total  All you people are amazing with what you have had to deal with  Great courage honesty keeping it real and integrity  
  • Romla
    @steplightly my treatment and reaction was exactly the same as your own but I found late side effects 3 plus months after radiotherapy ended and beforeI started hormonetherapy as am er positive . Was not told by radio onc nor read anywhere in literature about delayed side effects - read up online and was confirmed as correct by my surgical onc whom I told not included in any literature incl BCNA but it’s real alright
  • steplightly
    Thank you  Its all very challenging as we are all so different  I am Er pos too and a long way through menopause  The recent events have been noticed by a few people  my common response when i just cant get something is Hang on a minute or I will get back to you.  I can laugh at myself a bit but it plays out at work  badly sometimes  Oh well it is what it is  
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Both stress,  treatment and depression can cause fatigue and just general clouded thinking. So plenty of rest, optimum nutrition and exercise can really make a difference. I didn't have radiotherapy but chemo. I have found exercise and using my brain have helped. But enough rest and the addition of a multivit and fish oil made a huge difference. Becoming overtired is my enemy. Finding tbe balance is challenging. 

I needed a diary and notepad to assist with memory. I often couldn't recall an instruction at work.  I still use both but at least now remember what is in it. Kath x
  • Romla
    Sound advice from @primek I too find having a notebook and training myself to use it has been a god send