When am I "in remission"?

Options
sandramj
sandramj Member Posts: 253
ive just been back to oncologist for results of blood tests at the 6 month mark after surgery, radiation and lastly hormone therapy. Dr said my blood tests were gr8 and to see him again in 6 months for more blood test results. 
Breast surgeon said all good and to come back in 6 months for s mammogram & ultrasound results also. 
Am I in remission?  If not when would that be?  

Comments

• Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    My understanding, if there is no more signs of cancer and no more ongoing treatment except for preventative medication such as hormone therapy, you are in remission!
    Congratulations!
  • sandramj
    Options
    Wow!  @Unicornkisses thank you for your very prompt reply. I hope you're right. The oncologist was "bland" when he said your blood tests are all good.  I might have s champagne with dinner tonight.
  • Unicornkisses
    Options
    My Oncologist is very conservative with his comments on prognosis.
    My surgeon, on the other hand is excited and positive that everything was removed with a great margin and no more lymphnodes involved. 
    I guess it is easier for the surgeon because their work can be checked in the pathology and the outcome is clearer.
    The Oncologist on the other hand can only hope that chemo has worked, that there is nothing lurking somewhere. That is why it is initially called remission, not cured.

Now you can get on with life, more strength to you and best wishes for the future!

• sandramj
    Options
    Here's to long term remission.  
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    My understanding has always been once they remove it and all results come back clear everywhere, then its gone..I never use the word 'remission' nope its just gone :) the rest is just preventative treatment. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    The other term is No Evidence of Disease - which means pretty much what it says. 
  • sandramj
    Options
    No Evidence of Disease. I like that Oncologist gives the NOD. ✔️
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Yep No Evidence of disease. A survivor is what you are considered now. Remission is used more for blood type cancers or stage IV cancers that are stabilised.  I'm  surprised they even do blood tests to be honest. Mine have stopped altogether and just usual now through GP. Of course if issues arise then they would do them then. 
  • Unicornkisses
    Options
    My Oncologist said we would be doing blood tests for thyroid function, cholesterol and Vit D etc because of the Femara, and to check for radiation damage to the thyroid (I had the lymphnodes next to it done) so perhaps that is the sort of blood tests they are doing?
    I think they are being done just once a year though, probably before seeing one or other of them.
  • sandramj
    Options
    My thyroid, cholesterol, Vit D, and many others are checked be endocrinologist six monthly but these were different ones on top for Oncologist. He mentioned Tcells & cancer markers and I'd imagine hormone tests as I'm on hormone therapy, and I'm having those again in 6 months for Oncologist and mammogram & ultrasound for surgeon. I'll no doubt be a nervous wreck a couple of weeks before that.  But necessary to make sure it's all clear still. 
    Im off to GP tomorrow to check out very sore under left arm and rib where surgery was done. I've been exercising for a couple of months, but suddenly this area is sore. Feels like adhesions but I didn't feel them at all till about ten days ago. Best get it checked out.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Good luck at the gp's tomorrow @sandramj. Hoping you've just strained some muscles. Xx Cath