How long until BRCA test results?

Options
water_nymph
water_nymph Member Posts: 20
I was recently diagnosed with synchronous bilateral IDC both grade 1 with no lymph node involvement. As I am under 50 (47) and because of the bilateral primaries with a small family my Dr suggested the BRCA test. I had it yesterday but the pathologist couldn't tell me how long ghe results take. Does anyone know? Also my Dr wanted me to have it before rads - why would this be? I've already had bilateral lumpectomy , SNB and a successful re-excision on my right side. Would a positive BRCA result mean no rads? 

Thanks  for your advice! 
xx

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    If no family with the gene to check against you are looking at about 8 weeks for the result.

My Dr said to me ...which helped...it doesn't matter if you are positive or negative, it doesn't affect today how we need to treat your cancer. 

It was more about future surgical choices to reduce risk. I was fortunate to be negative. Kath x
  • Bakdom
    Bakdom Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I had the brca test last year, I had my results within two weeks. My test wasn't covered so i'm unsure if you get results quicker if you are privately funded.
  • Cynth6
    Cynth6 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Because I had family history with BC I got mine within 2 weeks. 
    I got offered an extra lot of chemo because I tested positive to it but I declined it 
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Options
    I had the test and they said 12weeks for results
  • TripleTea
    TripleTea Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I have family history with the BRCA1 gene and they still said they hope I will have the results by Christmas when I was tested last week. She said maybe sooner as the will look where my family's mutations were first but to expect it to take 8-10 weeks. 
  • water_nymph
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. The gene place actually called today to get my payment and said it would be 2-4 weeks til a result. 
    We also saw the Dr today & he said that because my tumours are grade 1 HR negative and ER and PR positive I'm unlikely to have BRCA1 but my <50yrs synchronous bilateral BC suggests there is a chance I might have the Brca2 mutation.  If this is the case he wouldn't want to do radiotherapy if I chose a bilateral mastectomy because it hampers healing ... so he wants to wait until we know about BRCA2 and I make a decision if I have to. Mystery solved!
    Thanks again for all your advice! xx

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Great stuff.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Wow you had to pay for the BRCA test ?.. I live in qld and as I was under 50 no family history I got it funded from the govt. I had to go to the royal bris to see the clinic but it was all bulk billed for me and took about 6 weeks to come back. If I’d tested positive it was recommended I had my ovaries out as well. Margie xx
  • water_nymph
    Options
    Hi Margie
    Yes, my surgeon didn't think I'd qualify for a free test because of no family history but I do wonder if, because I'm in the private system, he just sent me to a private pathology/genetics lab by default. That said, I think it varies by State at the moment- I'm in Vic,
    Mine was $600! But I figured better to know and I really want to know asap because it affects my treatment plan