Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Accessing super for treatment

Options
Does anyone have experience with the process of accessing superannuation early with the purpose of spending it on medical treatment (specifically, palbociclib)? Or do you know of anywhere we can find out details about the application process? 

Thank you ladies!

Comments

• nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Hi @scientist I haven’t accessed super but have heard that you do it through Centrelink. Apparently they have the paperwork. Maybe give them a call xx Lesley
  • nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    Options
    There you go. Have a read through that and see if you are eligible
  • Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Dear Scientist. Yes I have with my super. Have a disability pension now and my balance can be accessed at any time. I am  with a government super and they have been awesome. Good luck and please message me for more information. Kind regards Sandra xxxx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there you can’t access your super for medical treatment if it is available through the public health system. Not sure about the treatment you are speaking of?. If you don’t have income protection or TPD you can’t access it either unless you are terminal. There was mention though if you have non preserved funds you might be able too (that’s money you have contributed yourself)?.. and not from an employer. Not sure what scooper is talking about but I was told the rules are the same for everyone ?. As you have to apply through human services. I’m just with hesta. I’ve already been down this path and got no where if you read my previous posts. I hope you are successful though. Please let us know how you go. Margie xx 
  • onemargie
    Options

This is from the human services website

You must have:

• a life threatening illness or injury
    • acute or chronic pain
    • acute or chronic mental illness

You must show that:

• you can’t get the treatment through the public health system - this isn't required for travel to medical treatment
    • you can’t pay any other way, such as using savings or selling assets
  • onemargie
    Options

You may be able to get early release of super if a lender threatens to sell your home

You can only do this if:

• it’s your main home
    • you’re legally responsible for the mortgage
    • you can’t pay any other way, such as using savings or selling assets

You can’t apply for early release of super for anyone else’s mortgage, even a dependant’s.

So they didn’t consider me life threatening as my breast cancer was treatable which I’m grateful for but that doesn’t pay the bills does it I thought I had income protection but didn’t and also didn’t have TPD which you can’t claim unless it’s as it says total permanent disablement  

Best Of luck I hope you are successful with your claim and keep us posted  Margie xx 

• Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hello. I didn't have to give any details about my treatment which has been through the public system nor sell any of my assets. My oncologist had to fill out some forms, I had to fill out forms and then my super fund made appointments to see two other medical professionals. I was deemed eligible for my disability pension and access to my super balance at anytime tax free. My super fund ESS super were fantastic and helped me no end. I am stage 4 so in the future I might access my super for medical treatment or new medicine. 
    I am really sorry that people can't access their super when you have been diagnosed with any illness that stops you from working. I am financially ok. I had 18 months on full pay with my sick leave and when I resigned from my job I had nearly 10 months of long service leave. Not many people are that lucky. 
    But at the end of the day I would swap it all if I had no cancer.
    my warmest wishes to all
    sandra xxxxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Scooper The superannuation debate has been on the forum and some are frustrated by the system.  Like you say  "But at the end of the day I would swap it all if I had no cancer."
    Wishing you wellness! Take care, sending you a virtual hug xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • onemargie
    Options
    We would all give it up everything to be cancer free for sure you can’t put a price on your health I know...and no one wants to hear those words.  I’m a nurse for fucks sake  so I know all too well about that. and had i not been diagnosed it never would of been an issue for me. But it was and I guess you could argue yes I should of double checked I had income protection but still even so I still think under the circumstances we should be entitled to some government support after working our whole lives when we need it.  The apprentices get a $20k tax fee loan to support them during their apprenticeship for tools etc and they can spend it on whatever they want, you can get a HECS loan for your education which you pay back once you earn over a certain amount same for the apprenticeship loan, which I totally support  but I’ve worked my arse off and no govt loans for me or even a lousy Centrelink payment for all the bloody tax I’ve paid.  Even if we got a temporary dsp or Newstart payment during  treatment that had to be paid back when you get back to work would of been so helpful and I Would be happy to get a 20k tax free loan  and pay it back once I got back to work too. I’m sure I would not be the only one who feels this way about it. Margie xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I sense the frustration but good on those that have been able to unlock a component in their superannuation.

Some don't have a job hence no super, sick pay, long service et cetera

As to apprentices I think it is a great thing that they can get a loan to get tools to help with their trade.  Like the word suggests it's a loan that needs to be repaid and it is limited each year
    https://www.atq.com.au/blog/apprenticeship-trade-support-loan/
  • ShazS
    ShazS Member Posts: 131
    Options
    None of us asked or wanted cancer but as Margie said why is no help for us of whom our Super seem to be so igorant of our illness and help. To those who there super has been great that's wonderful news why can't all Supers be compassionate and help out without all the third degree bullshit. Should only need a Drs letter and release your super we worked paid our taxes now we need the money to help out its a drama to get your own money why!!! Shazx
  • onemargie
    Options
    Hi again. Just wanted to say I have no issues at all with the apprenticeship loan or the hecs loans for students I think they are both a great idea I have a son who is an apprentice carpenter who can access it if he wants but hasn’t had too. That’s not the point I was making. I’m just saying there could be a similar loan put in place for people in our situation. That’s all. And if you don’t have a job or have never had one hence no super or sick pay then there’s no issues with getting support I know it’s tough for those solely on those payments as it’s not much for some others like single mums with a tonne of kids earn more than I do on Centrelink the lucky buggers but if you work hard your whole life there’s no help from the government when youve paid tax every week and need a hand that’s all I’m saying. Margie xx