Drug free reversal of osteoporosis while on Femara

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
18 months ago I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my spine. I was osteopenic after treatment (mastectomy, chemo, radio and 2 years of Tamoxifen) but ovary removal and a few months on Femara resulted in 11% loss of bone density in my spine in just 12 months. I was very fit and hiked kilometres every week but still a very big bone loss in just a short period.

I stumbled across a revolutionary new research based (through Griffith University in Qld) weight-lifting program that was showing some amazing improvements in bone density for people with problems in this area. "The Bone Clinic" was just what I was hoping for. I was not wanting to resort to Prolia or other types of Bone density drugs unless I absolutely had no choice.

So for the past 13months I have been weightlifting under the supervision of this research based program. Just twice a week for about 45minutes I lift a few weights. It is fun and it has WORKED! Today I had my 12 month review and I am no longer osteoporotic in my spine (my hip was never in the osteoporotic range, just the spine). I have improved my bone density by 8.3%.

Both my oncologist and breast surgeon were very ok with my trying this approach rather than Prolia. For me, it was what I hoped would work. I still have a long time to go on Femara, but I am quietly hopeful that this approach will continue to work for me. My doctors were content if I just managed to maintain my bone density but I have actually improved it and made it back out of that osteoporosis category. Very, very happy day!  :)

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Well aren't you just clever!  Wow!  That is great!  Excellent!!!  

• Deanne
    Options
    Thank-you @iserbrown. They are gorgeous! xxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Fantastic. I've had a 4% increase in my hips  in 12 months just doing lots of walking but not my spine, it dropped another 1% . I'm still in osteopenia and want to try to reverse or stop it progressing. (Both my Mum and Grandmother had spinal compression fractures and not on an AI so yes I'm worried). I've just started weights again and my instructor is keen I do jumping on steps  (which with my balance terrifies me and  my back CT shows multiple disc bulging so not keen on it). Can you tell us a bit about what type of weight exercise you do as we don't all have the access. Thanks. Kath x
  • Deanne
    edited October 2017
    Options
    To do what I have done you really need proper supervision to prevent injury unfortunately @primek. I lift heavy weights but this has happened gradually over time and with qualified coaches. We also work on core strength and balance as part of the 45min session. The place where I go is expanding all the time and they were just on the news again this week. I think they are now supplying details of their program to exercise physiologists who want to learn about it and use it with their clients. If you look them up on Facebook or the internet (The Bone Clinic) they are having a webinar on Osteoporosis sometime soon with lots of info from their research.
    Sounds like you are doing a lot to improve your density too. It is frustrating that this program is not available everywhere but it is excellent and hopefully will keep expanding and sharing the research for others to benefit from. Great news that you have improved your hip density. Apparently I am very unusual in that my spine was worse than the hip. Maybe the walking I was doing kept my hips ok?
    My Mum has been doing lots of similar things to what I do through an exercise physiologist so maybe just seeing one of them would be a good start. 
  • primek
    Options
    My spine was always worse than my hip. But ny hip has dramatically improved, weird not my back. Probably the fact I've had disc issues plus a reconstruction has reduced strength...so I don't carry heavy things etc. 
  • Deanne
    Options
    Yes, you would have to be very careful with those herniated discs especially. This program is supervised by an exercise physiologist who is able to adapt the exercises for individual issues. Safety is very important to prevent further injury. 
  • Deanne
    Options
    @primek
    I was just reading over the info from my review again. That loss of 1% at your spine is actually very positive when you consider that most women post menopause lose bone density at a rate of 2-3% per year (and they are not on an AI). You have slowed this to only 1% so that would indicate that what you are doing IS working. Now that you have restarted some weights again you will probably have even more success with this. Hope you find even better results in the future, Kath.
    Deanne xxx
  • primek
    Options
    Thanks Deanne that is really good to know. I rechecked and my back  was 1.8% loss,  but that is still good considering on an AI as well, based on the norm from your paperwork.  So I'll keep plodding along and keep up the Vit D.

My previous back result was a 10.7% loss...after menopause and chemo...yikes. Hip was 8% loss. 

So yes...I am on the right path now. 
  • Deanne
    Options
    Just got my official results from my review today. My improvement in density at the spine was actually 9.72% which has me well and truly out of the osteoporosis range. The femoral neck at the hip also improved by 3.76%. I was never in the osteoporosis range for the hip but improvement is really good nevertheless.

The Bone Clinic also do functional tests (which I had improvement in too) with their exercise physiologist and I saw their Dietician to ensure that all areas of bone related health are addressed. 

I like this approach to improving my bone density and, for me, it has worked despite being on Femara. For now, I have avoided the need to take Prolia or similar bone medications. Now I just have to keep it up. Never thought I would enjoy (or even ever do) weightlifting but I look forward to my twice weekly sessions!  :)