Weight gain

LMW
LMW Member Posts: 32
Did anyone else put on weight during chemo?

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Yep. I blame the steroids and getting my ovaries removed and only being able to eat starch and sugar during treatment because my gut went postal. Not happy about it and, six months later, there is no sign of it coming off in a hurry.
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Grrr, don't get me started on that one! It is very common and not much you can do about it. I have not dealt well with this side effect emotionally. I'm better about having one boob. I was 48kg and got up to 62kg... more than 20% gain. They even increased my chemo dose at the end to cover the gain. My oncol also attributes my ongoing joint pain to weight and says I need to loose it to reduce risk of recorrance. Easier said than done now I'm also on Tamoxifen.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Weight gain is very common @LMW. As @Zoffiel says it is probably the steroids and the fact that most of us go into a chemo induced menopause. I had just lost some weight before diagnosis and was adamant that I would try my best to not put any on. I walked most days and tried my best to eat well but it is awfully difficult. 

I craved foods that were not the best, like hot chips! This was probably a combination of the steroids and the loss of my taste buds!
    My walking went by the wayside when I was hospitalised during Docetaxel and in the end, yes, I put on a few kilos.

With regular exercise (I started walking for just 10 mins at a time) I did lose those kilos and several more after treatment finished. 

During treatment you just have to listen to your body and make your way through it as best as you can. I found it helpful afterwards to get support from a dietician and exercise physiologist. I needed that help and support to get back to the weight I wanted to be. Take care. xxx
  • LMW
    Awww that's no good. I was hoping you were going to say it started to go once chemo ended 
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    @LMW it can be done. There are lots of women who've lost it without too much trouble and some really inspiring stories of lifestyle transformations from some other ladies too. During treatment just do what you need to get through and worry about it afterwards. Look after yourself xxx
  • LMW
    Thank you all so much for responding. I’ve gone from running half marathons to just walking most days and clearly eating way too much. I’ve put on 6kgs in 6mths but will try not to stress too much about it till chemo is over. I’m having number 9 weekly chemo as we speak and then only 3 to go yayyyyyy. Sending love and hugs to you all xoxo
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    I lost weight during treatment but I also took almost no steroids, so that may be the problem, as others have suggested, I also had affected taste buds half the time, and almost no taste buds the other half. The only things I could actually taste were all healthy (salads, eggs, avocado), so no temptations to eat comfort food as it all tasted like cardboard! I agree with what everyone else says, address this when your chemo is finished, you will have more energy and be able to see it as a goal/challenge, not just one more thing to get through. Good luck.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I just got fatter and fatter during treatment. I lost it with considerable work after given the all clear after chemo to do it and with optifast so I healthier for my changeover breast surgery. However my weight is creeping back on and I'm really struggling with it...most of the issues for me are stress eating and just fatigue issues meaning I just can't burn as many calories as I used to...but eat the same. Sigh.
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Sure did, at least 7 kilos.
    Most came off very quickly once started on Lasix fluid tablets for very swollen legs and feet on Docetaxel.
    I am almost back to preChemo weight now 14 weeks later.
    It was partly due to meds, fluid and eating anything I could stomach which was mostly things like hot chips, cheese, crackers.
    The dietitian told me not to worry during chemo, but we would address it when the treatment was finished.
  • LMW
    When I finish chemo I will find a dietitian and get some tips. Thanks again for your advice I truly appreciate it xoxo
  • Moosie
    Moosie Member Posts: 30

Unicornkisses I also have huge legs and arms from the fluid I’ve gained from docetaxal. My oncologist said not to take fluid tablets so I’m struggling to walk around and am worried about how I will ever get rid of my fat feet legs and arms and I am having my mastectomy on Monday!  Any help appreciated. Lyn. 

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @LMW yep I put on 5kg and 2yrs on not budging, no matter what I do, diet exercise zip!! My Surgeon the other day said the main culprit is the unnatural menopause you get thrown into. I now just do things to the point I feel good, that's it. 

x M
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hey @LMW, I'm a champion weight puter onerer! Didn't need chemo to achieve it either! I have to complete physical training for my work and decided I had better hit the gym to ensure my pec muscle on mastectomy side was going to handle the work training - if I can't pass - no job! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! So, I hit the gym and started to work out, only problem was my mouth started to work out harder than my body did :s I've managed to put on approx 4 kilos and I don't believe it all relates to new muscle, more like muscle, biscuits, turning post menopausal (I've also lost my waist somewhere trying to find it again). On the good side I did pass my work training so that was all good - now am just targeting diet (without biscuits!!) and exercise. I reckon any weight gain has the potential to make us feel like crap and we don't need that. Don't be hard on yourself as it's so easy to do that regardless of treatments, tablets and our bodies reactions and at least with treatment it is going to give you that time to feel more like you once your treatment is complete. Sending you a big hug. Xx Cath
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    @Moosie, either ask your GP or anyone you are seeing prior to surgery if you can.
    I had to take 2 in the morning and 1 at night to get the stuff to shift.
    There was no problem taking it during surgery apparently.
    It did take quite some time to go though.
    However, the TED stockings and the squeezey  things I had on my legs during surgery and for the day, after really helped with the reduction of the fluid, so if you can't do anything prior to surgery, it should be okay to see what you can do after, ask your surgeon at the 1 week check up for a script.
    There is sometimes a problem with the TED stockings if your legs are puffed up, they have to use a bigger size than normal and mine went too high up my leg and cut off the circulation behind my knee. My sister (a nurse) was worried about that and told me to get them removed, so if they are painful there tell someone as apparently they are not supposed to be. It kind of defeats the purpose if they stop the blood flow!

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited October 2017
    Yep. Thanks to the steroids. I always thought people who have chemo lose weight. Before when doctors didn't give steroids to combat the nausea they did lose weight. I was warned about the weight gain ahead of time. I dieted before hand and lost 7 kgs but then put on 9 kgs with chemo. I lost 32 kGS after all treatment finished but now I have been on holiday overseas for 5 weeks and have put on weight again thanks to all the eating I am doing. Hopefully I'll lose it again when I get back home.