Options
Jen79x
Jen79x Member Posts: 125
edited October 2017 in Newly diagnosed
hi everyone 
people say mixed things about these forums so I'm not sure if I should be here or not but we all need support when we are going through something like this and I hope there is people out there with similar stories to mind so we can share our journey and provide support.

this is my story : I'm 38 and found the lump about 3weeks ago. I experienced the rollercoaster that everyone talks about and all the tests and waiting - that part was awful. It took a week to find out if we were facing early stage or Spread to liver. The tests don't show any cancer cells in the liver do they are going with early stage triple negative breast cancer (0h why did I google that). Because it's triple neg they are doing chemofirst 4 ac dense duo then 12 taxol. I had my first ac on Thursday - but nauseas and tired but overall not as bad as expected though I here it gets worse as it goes along? Interested to here about anyone else's experiences and going through s similar story. If chemo goes well and brac gene comes back positive preparing for double mascetomy and hysterectomy as preventative:)
What a journey we are on!! Looking forward to hearing from some of you :)
Jen 

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Hello @Jen79x
    We are all sad to hear that you have had to join this special group but please be assured this is the best place for support and information - and yes, it is a legitimate website.
    Most ladies will tell you to stay away from Dr Google - it may only get you concerned about things which will not happen.
    Please write notes and ask questions of your treatment team - they know you, your specific cancer and the treatments.
    On this site you will meet many ladies in your age group and many with similar diagnosis so stay tuned for the best possible support from the most wonderful ladies.
    If you are worried, concerned or even happy do come onto the site and chat.  There is always someone on here, whatever time of the day or night you are needing to talk.
    You will be in our thoughts.  Keep in touch.
    Summer  :-)
  • Jen79x
    Options
    Thanks summerhill38 :) it's happened so quickly ! I assume the same happens for most :( no one would ever expect it would they. Do you have kids? I have one 9 year old girl, I've only told her that I'm a bit sick so far - havent used the C word yet, I do t want to scare her :( 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Options
    Dear @Jen79x,

No-one ever expects it. But in the shock and uncertainty you have found a good place to get advice and support. This is a well run site, and everyone here has experienced some part of your story. Focus on words like early stage and celebrate every test that has a good result. Good start with chemo - we all dread that one but many of us like you found it not so bad. The general view is that taxol is easier than A/C, just count them down. It seems like forever at the start but it's not. Plenty of people here can share their experiences with surgery but for now take one step at a time. Thinking too far ahead is exhausting. Telling children is hard -  mine was 30 and it was still hard! But again little by little is still the way to go. Best wishes.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @Jen79x, Welcome to the forum. I reckon that those who say forums are no good haven't been to this one!! Its phenomenal. You might like to join the group - http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women  so that you can chat with those around your age and also have a read of this thread about how to tell your young ones about your diagnosis - its by Shimmer78 and its in the newly diagnosed thread - http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/comment/110606#Comment_110606.  And we are all here to help you get through this. Big hug. Xx Cath
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Welcome and yes the beginning is overwhelming. But I was pleased the treatment I had was started so quickly. I travelled 500k for my appointment. I happy though my chemo was done locally at least.

I had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. My bc was Es+Pr- Her2+. I had ACT-H chemo. I found it terribly hard but got through.

Although older at diagnosis,  I was 51, all my son's were still at home and still so much of need of me. That's all I could think of. Although that made me really scared and sad some days it also gave me the strength to keep going no matter how miserable I felt. 

I'm am now 20 months since diagnoses. 12 months since end of chemo and 9 months since end of herceptin. I'm still on oral tablets. I was gene negative and like you was prepared for all surgery needed. I did choose the bilateral at the beginning as my cancer was invisible on a mammogram 5 weeks before I felt it. I just thought I would spend my life always being terrified because of this...and at my surgeons suggestion we went for bilateral. It is a big op. A reasonable recovery and a decision I do not regret. I'm now waiting on my last bit of surgery which is nipple creation. 

This site is fabulous support. There is always someone here to help. We have quite a few younger members who I am sure will connect with you soon. But regardless of age, type of breast cancer our journey and experiences are all similar in some ways and very different others. We are all united by our fight and eventual survivorship. 

Kath x

• Jen79x
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) it's nice to hear there are nice forums out there :) Socoda I will check out shimmers post about telling kids :( and also the young women's page.
    im still learning to navigate myself around the page so that you for the suggestions. 
    And Kath i guess it's never easy :( my own mum was diagnosed with ovarian when o was 9 years old and passed away when I was 15. It's something I experienced first hand and has really shaped me into who I am today. I try and think positively about it but it was tough and I'm scared I'm going to put my own daughter through the same :( but again that's what we all fear :( I look forward to getting to know you guys xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    If you've coped with the first chemo you are off to a great start. Shit almost invariably happens to some degree, but if you have had no major reaction to the drugs, dealing with the 'product in, product out' equation--which seems to be the main housekeeping issue-- will work itself out.
    Forums vary, people come and go. There are occasional rants which are usually are coloured with a fair bit of humour and the overwhelming majority of posts are people asking 'has anyone else...'
    Good luck. Marg
  • Jen79x
    Options
    Hi marg,
    thanks :) first ones been ok I guess! I'm tired and a bit funny in my tummy but today is only 3 days after (treatment was Thursday) I should be over the worst right?
    xx
    jen
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there @jen79xLast year in may I was diagnosed with stage 2a grade 3 (3cm tumor) left breast triple neg bc aged 43. All scans clear and no lymph nodes involved. I'm negative for the gene though. I had 4 rounds of AC chemo and 4 rounds of paclitaxol fortnightly for 16 weeks. I shaved my head after the first round as i started shedding and I had a mastectomy left side so I didn't have to have rads as well as chemo and then took the right one off - my choice 6 months later.  I didn't have the nausea as such just no appetite for the first few days. The most discomfort I had was from after the neulasta injections. The tow days after that made me feel like I'd been hit by a bus. But warm baths with the Egyptian bath milk and endone and it was tolerable. I didn't work during treatment as I'm a nurse normally. I didn't find that it got worse the more treatment I had it was pretty much the same for me. I still managed to function some what. The first 3 to 5 days post I felt like that I'd get up with hubby at 4am and get hm off to work then I'd tidy my house cook an easy tray bake for dinner then walk my dogs and hung out a load of washing so I was done by around 7 then I'd rest or sleep on the couch on and off through the day then got up and sorted dinner lunches etc (which my son and hubby offered to do but I wanted to do it) I'd have cravings for certain foods like I had to eat beef chow mien for a whole week for some reason so would cram it with veges. And I drank that flavoured bubbly  mt franklin water which was good for my icky tummy. I had my treatment on Mondays so come the Friday I was out and about going to the shops etc  so it was doable for me. Hope this helps feel free to PMMe anytime if you have any other questions. 
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Hi @Jen79x
    I hope that you are over the worst and that you get through chemo with the minimum of effects. This is a great place to come if you want some practical advice on how to handle anything that does crop up along the way.

I found this network a wonderful source of support during my treatment. I also found it heartening to find women on here who are several years down the track and doing well. I am now one of those, I guess. I will be 5 years post a Stage 3 diagnosis (at 47) in May next year. I don't take anything for granted and appreciate feeling healthy again. I have learned to take things one step at a time and also the value of good support. You will find that in bucketfuls on here. 

Wishing you all the best for what lays ahead. I hope you find it passes quickly, many of us are surprised by that I think. At the start it looks like forever but before you know it you are onto the next bit and so on. Take care. Deanne xxx