Seeing surgeon for results today

Options
nonkyboy
nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
edited October 2017 in Newly diagnosed
Hi ladies, well finally after almost 4 months, today is the day I get the results from my recent surgery. I am stumped over what to ask her because of course it depends on what the results are as to what questions I would need to ask. Further surgery, chemo, radiation etc. Its all unknown to me right now. The only thing I have written down is to ask for a copy of my biopsy report. Can anyone think of anything else so I don't come out of there thinking I need to make another appointment just to ask my questions? Thanks xx Lesley 

Comments

• steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Options
    HI Lesley All the best today  Are you taking anyone with you  Make sure you understand each important bit  I saw the bc nurse straight after and she highlighted those for me  Invaluable as i have gone over the report a number of times  Are you driving yet  I took a bit of time to get back to that  perhaps ask if there is a timeframe for it.  Perhaps note things down as you discuss and ask for email address to maybe send questions you think of later  Thinking of you xo
  • nonkyboy
    Options
    Thanks @steplightly I have my daughter coming with me as another set of ears. Luckily for me she is on holiday here for 3 weeks as she is living in the U.K. At the moment. Asking for an email address is a great idea. I'll put that on the list. I had surgery 3 weeks ago so I am driving. I'll ask Amy to jot things down too as it's so easy to forget so much xx Lesley 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @nonkyboy I think you will find the questions will come naturally as the surgeon will detail the results.  As we all know the diagnosis is the same but the rest is so individual!  
    Wishing you well for your appointment today!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Get anything in writing that you can. My oncologist gave me details of treatments on individual sheets - invaluable for reading over when the dust settles a bit. Ask how long treatments will take, it's useful to know if you need an hour or half a day. All of this is easier if you have someone with you so you can compare notes after. Remember that possible side effects don't necessarily all happen! Unfortunately you usually have to start treatment to really know how you will go. If you will be driving to appointments, ask what parking provisions are available. It's worth taking something to drink and a snack to first treatments, you'll find out then what is normally offered (we were always offered tea or coffee and a sandwich at my day oncology). Very best wishes.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @nonkyboy
    How did you go with the surgeon?  Are you being referred to an Oncologist? Hope you found the appointment beneficial and clear with direction
    Take care 
  • nonkyboy
    Options
    Visit went quite well. No spread to lymph nodes and no further surgery needed. She is referring me to the chemo and radiation oncology people and said I should hear from them in the next 2 or 3 weeks hopefully. My breast still had fluid in it so she drained that again today and sent it off to pathology to be sure there was no bacteria in it. HER2 was negative oestrogen and progesterone positive. So now it's waiting for the next stage to begin. Meantime I'm going to enjoy life before it all starts. Thanks again for the advice  xx Lesley 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Woohoo on good news regarding pathology outcome. 
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Good news!
  • Binniebin
    Binniebin Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, really  good news on your pathology.  I have a notebook and just add when I think of a question. My hubby is good at taking notes in consultations. If your daughter is not with you for following appt I suggest you take someone, my first onc appt was 40 minutes and radio appt next week will be the same. Also your McGrath breast nurses may be able to go in with you.  You can request a copy of the chemo info including side effects & any results.  Be prepared for more tests ahead as soon as you see the docs. This week mine included a blood test, gated heart pool scan and bone scan which get a baseline as chemo and hormone treatments can affect lots of things. Are you seeing a lymphodema physio? I only had the 2 sentinel nodes so only carries 5% risk of lymphodema, but  the exercises will also help keep flexibility for my radiotherapy ahead. I see the Physio again before radio.I also practice breath holding for 20 seconds as that's lifts the breast away from the heart when they zap. 
    Enjoy the couple of weeks breathing space and catch up with your friends.

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    wonderful news that there is no spread or additional surgery needed.  I'm sure there will be lots of advice and information coming your way once you know what your next steps are.  In the meantime, enjoy your time with your daughter.  Jane xx 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Splendid news, Lesley.  You've come a long way in the last couple of months. It's a privilege to walk alongside some of the people here; you are doing a great job in shitty circumstances. Marg xxx
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @nonkyboy, Congratulations on your results. Are you going to Macarthur Cancer Therapy Centre or Liverpool? Have you been introduced to your breast care nurse? I had surgery at Auburn hospital but live at Leumeah and met my McGrath nurse at my first appointment with the oncologist (Macarthur) . I had my mum and older sister with me but the McGrath nurse had a special form that she filled in that had lots of areas and details I would not have had any idea to ask about and gave that to me for my records. I have referred to that bit of paper a number of times over the last 15 months to find out further details. Let me know if you haven't had contact with your McGrath nurse and I can always send you a copy of the form so you have an idea what to ask or fill out ;) Xx Cath
  • nonkyboy
    Options
    Hi @socoda I will be going to the MacArthur Cancer Therapy Centre. Thank goodness because they have designated parking for us. When I was in hospital for surgery I met the McGrath nurse and she gave me the cushion and a seatbelt protector. She never gave me a form at all though. Her name is Linda Nolasco. She also called me once when I went home. I would appreciate a copy of the form. Are you able to post it or email? Just let me know. I appreciate the offer xx Lesley.