Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Don't be afraid to use a walking stick

Options
hi ladies am having one of those wonderful insomnia nights so I thought I would share some of my experience just in case it might help someone out there .  I have nets in my neck back and pelvis .  There are some days I can't walk very far and even with painkillers my hips hurt .  A friend bought me a walking stick and it changed my life.  I resisted for ages ,  it sat in the corner for weeks until my husband convinced me to give it a go. It has given me my independence back.  I can jump on the tram and go shopping knowing I will always get a seat ,  I can walk further for longer and best of all it is do much easier to get up stairs and ramps.  The same friend suggested I get a disability parking sticker . Again I resisted thinking I was not sick enough to have one.  I did not want to take away a park from someone who needed it.  Then my Gp also suggested it.  It was then I realized I was one of those people who needs it.  I only use it like the stick on my really bad days but it does make a difference.  I think I have finally learnt I font need to be stubborn and strong everyday,  it is not giving in to my disease but living with it using tools available to me to kept my quality of life.  Sharing over hope it helps someone.  Will try and get to sleep again now Xx Cathy

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there Cathy I've just read your profile. Definately don't hesitate to get the parking permit. We all like to stay as independent as possible but getting the permit is just going to make life easier for you lovey. And you need to be kind to yourself at this time and take advantage of the things out there for that reason. You need to ask yourself would you suggest the parking permit to someone in the same position as you and you know the answer would be yes. It's like the disability support pension - if you haven't applied for that you should consider that too. Youve worked hard and deserve to be kind to yourself lovey. Good on you for putting it out there and hopefully it will encourage others to do the same 

And a Massive week in SA this week .... im from down there originally and my husband and son are massive crows supporters. I'm a port Adelaide supporter. Its very exciting for them and everyone down there. I've been trying to win tickets to the grand final for them  along with 2 million other people but no luck yet. Margie❤️

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I've got a hiking stick with a larger than usual rubber foot on it. The adjustable length is good as I am quite tall and I can change it depending on what I'm doing.  It doesn't look as 'orthopedic' asa regular walking stick.
    Chemo has buggered up my feet and ankles and generally made me a bit unsteady but the trusty stick gives me balance and confidence, particularly on rough ground or if I'm going somewhere I have to deal with heaps of stairs.  I can also poke stuff with it. Very handy.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    For the markets my step father has a cane and it has a flip out seat. The cane is like a tripod thing. Very handy for him.

• Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks Margie huge week down here.  Nice to see hubby so happy. Re disability pension I was really lucky enough to be declared disabled by my super fund and was able to access the insurance component of my super .  Funny to call myself lucky to be declared disabled.  It is all relative I guess :)