Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Newly diagnosed bone & liver mets

Options
Etta
Etta Member Posts: 16
hi everyone
i first had breast cancer in 2013. This week i found out I have bone & liver mets. I'm 45.
I am petrified and lost and angry and scared and so so sad. But mostly completely heartbroken for my husband. 
My big question is: has anyone refused chemo? My instinct is to do live my life as well as I can be. I know how sick chemo makes you.
And if I decide this how on earth do I explain this to my husband, family & friends?
Any advice much welcomed thanks ❤️ x

Comments

• Etta
    Options
    Ps I know it's 3:40am but I can't sleep any replies very much welcome x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi @Etta, hello from a fellow insomniac. Firstly, a big hug. I hope you're doing ok. Be kind to yourself, you must be in shock at the moment. There are women on here who have had to make the same decisions who would be more useful than me. I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you. x 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hey @etta You know, I was seriously considering refusing chemo when my cancer came back. At the moment my situation, as far as I know, is rather different because mine was a local recurrence which is, in theory, treatable. Mind you, all the palaver I went through in 2006 didn't seem to work, so...

If it happens again, and it probably will, I'm telling all and sundry that I've run out of chemo options. If you tell people you are considering refusing the pressure is absolutely bloody relentless. As in it never, ever, stops. Everyone hopes that they will be the one who makes you 'see sense' and the smugness when you capitulate has seen me ditch two people who were part of my life for over twenty years.

So, if that is your decision, and I can see why you will be considering it, tell no-one. Is that good advice, I don't know. But if you share your uncertainty you will be exposing yourself to a situation where many people think they know better. Think things through, take your time and make sure you truly have the strength of your convictions before you make up your mind.

Good luck. Marg xxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Etta
    sorry to hear your dilemma!  It is a personal choice as to how you want to roll with treatment.  Have they indicated what affect treatment will have?  I have a neighbour who made the same decision as you..........cancer returns, mets in liver, 9 years from original diagnosis and this was her third bout and she didn't want to fight it anymore! 

There is a group on here that perhaps you should join and natter with others
     http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/2-living-with-metastatic-breast-cancer

Perhaps talk with the BCNA counsellors as well as tel:1800500258

https://www.bcna.org.au/metastatic-breast-cancer/metastatic-breast-cancer-telephone-counselling/

Take care
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @Etta, just sending you a huge hug. Xoxo
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    There are some chemo's like the pill one that doesnt actually make you feel that sick. My dad did the whole 12 infusion thing and it didnt do a scrap of good but these pills he is on are keeping it at bay. He is 77 now and he is crazy outside lately gardening. He loves gardening and cooking. He just soldiers on and doesnt worry about mortality any more. Cannabis oil would be of benefit too although it still seems to be illegal and hard to get on script. Just sayin tho it will help.
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    Options
    Hopefully you have been able to sleep by now.  What has happened is what we are all scared of.  Maybe more treatment won't be that bad and you can stop at any time.  Keep the lines of communication open with your husband (and maybe kids) and don't worry about the rest.  
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hey @Etta it's incredibly difficult, there just aren't any words, it is frightening...I don't have mets but had a recurrence at the 4yr mark and I remember it was incredibly devastating to deal with and so was the treatment. Did you have chemo at the last diagnosis?  I just know this...NOBODY can make that decision for you and I agree with others, if you tell them..the opinions will fly. I was going to not do chemo and I had people say I HAVE TO DO IT, I HAVE TO DO IT FOR MY KIDS. My answer to that was...If I cannot do this for me?? I cannot do it for anyone else. It isn't selfish at all...this is about you nobody else. I'd discuss it with your Oncologist too and sift through your options. Big hugs...Melinda xo 
  • Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi Etta.  I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with mets. It's a huge shock especially when you have already been through treatment. I was diagnosed in August 2015 de novo. I had a clear mammogram in January 2015. I had major surgery to my cervical spine, a lumpectomy and was put on letrozole which worked until earlier this year. I had another bout of radiation to my spine and then begun a trial at Peter Mac. I have just been taken off the trial as I have had progression with my liver mets. I have not had chemotherapy but will be beginning Xeloda next week. I am currently crippled with anxiety. I am petrified.
    i understand your feelings 100%.  You have been through it before. I think you need a little time to digest your news. Everyone has their different opinions on what you should and should not be doing. Do what is right for you, your husband and family. Sorry that is all I can offer you apart from my warmest wishes and love to you. Sandra xxx
  • Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    Options
    I am 41 and was diagnosed with liver and bone mets (innumerable) in May this year. After some trial and error with treatment i have now completed my first cycle of Eribulin, which so far hasnt caused me too much grief. Hang in there, dont give up yet. Its not over.
  • Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Sorry for what you are going through.  As said before only you can make the decision.  My advice be informed the chemo may extend your life longer than you are ill with it.  What ever you decide own it and live every day well.  Sending virtual hugs and squeezing tight 
  • Etta
    Options
    Thank you everyone so so much for your thoughts and advice.
    I see my oncologist next Thurs I will let you know what happens...
    This forum is incredible I don't feel so alone love to all of you ❤️❤️❤️