Breast cancer after taking hormone blocking tablets

AT404
AT404 Member Posts: 19
Has anyone had cancer after taking the hormone blocking tablets?

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    From a personal point of view can't answer that but have read several ladies having recurrences years down the track and some were on hormone therapy - gather hormone therapy reduces risk but not iron clad guarantee so vigilance is required by ourselves and our medical support - the latter monitor carefully with regular mammograms etc
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hi @AT404
    This is a query you should putting to your oncologist as we are all different (i.e. different cancers of different grades, different treatments and we are of different ages) and the statistics they use for their percentages are calculated on all these factors.
    In my case, age and other health issues as well as medications, they determined that statistics to show that there was minimal benefit in relation to the possible side effects.
    If the use of the drugs concerns you do seek guidance from your medical team. In the end, though, it is your decision as to whether to take them - they can only recommend.
    Just be sure you won't later regret the decision you make.
    Hugs  Summer  :-)
  • AT404
    Oh I plan to take them, but just wanted to see to what extend you are protected compared with side effects.
    Thanks for your advice, all of you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    I think that parts of tumours can be responsive to hormones and other parts of them might not be. Tumours can also change and develop resistance to the hormone blockers. It depends on the individual. Treatments are improving all the time. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I had a recurrence after 10 years. I took Tamoxifen for 5. The recurrence was local, in my armpit, rather than metastatic. Still not thrilled but who is to say it may not have been worse without the Tamoxifen.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Hi @AT404
    No treatment is 100% effective, unfortunately.

As I understand it, the perecentage difference that it might make to your chance of recurrence can be different for each of us. It depends on your pathology and your doctor is the only person who can give you guidance in this.

If the hormone therapy worked for absolutely everyone with hormone positive cancer than it would be a cure. But that is not the case. There is a lot of research currently being done on why it fails in some situations and what can be done about that. For now, it is the best option we have. xxx
  • Southgirl
    Southgirl Member Posts: 80
    Hi @AT404 - as others have said, there are no guarantees with any treatment and oncologists give advice based on your pathology - every case is different. My initial breast cancer diagnosis (ERpos HER2neg) was in 2005 - I had a mastectomy, reconstruction, removal of ovaries, then five years on Arimidex. I was all clear for 11 years, then diagnosed with metastases last year - currently taking Letrozole which is keeping mets stable. If I hadn't taken Arimidex my mets would have probably occurred much earlier - so I am very grateful for the benefits of hormone blockers. I had only minimal side effects from both the Arimidex and Letrozole.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    HI @AT404 absolutely no guarantees in any of the treatments offered, and they'll be up front and honest about that. Not everyone is prescribed hormone blockers, it is dependant on their pathology etc and it is extremely complex as some ladies have shared. 

I was on Tamoxifen for 4yrs and had a recurrence in the same spot in the same breast after having had radiation as well...go figure? So there are ladies who have had recurrences inspite of Tamoxifen. Recent studies have shown Tamoxifen doesnt work in 1/3 of cases. It's learnt to adapt, sneaky thing!! So it just won't work for everyone. Side effects were zero on it too. Arimidex and Aromasin is very different, stiffness and pain being the norm...but honestly, I wouldnt say there were side effects now that things have settled that I'd say were too much that I'd not take it. I don't even think about it anymore.
  • AT404
    Thank you all.  I have been prescribed Letrozole.  I certainly plan on taking the tablets, but like to be forewarned to some extend.  I realize not all react the same, however how do those taking it find the side effects?  
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2017
    I haven't had anything new happen since I started letrazole 4 months ago but, and it is a big ' but' chemo really knocked me around--I ended up with all manner of shitty side effects mainly involving my gut, muscles and tendons. So I was in pretty poor shape when I started and I've also had radiotherapy which has left some lingering issues in my neck and armpit.

It's possible that I may have recovered better to this stage without it, but who knows.

I'm a stiff, creaky, achy version of my former self but I have been slowly improving.Exercise is really important and I'll have my bone density checked in a few months. All up, it's just another reason we don't want this disease.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I have been on these tablets a bit over 7 weeks and have had a little hot flushes - manageable and a bit of joint pain - this is manageable too by getting moving. The ladies on this site who have been on this longer recommend. Magnesium , panadol osteo and my medical oncologist recommended fish oil.all of which I have bought in anticipation but have yet to use as my side effects thus far have been minor . I take Caltrate Bone Health 2 per day and have done so for some time prior to bc.I try to exercise  daily - a stretch/ balance class twice per week and a daily 1 hour walk .My bigger issue is fatigue which whilst a side effect of Letrozole could be exacerbated by having had  3 major operations and radiotherapy this year - I am learning to pace myself and once again find exercise esp a walk helps also with fatigue.As I am osteoporotic and have had a fracture I also have Prolia injections 6 monthly as Letrozole thins bones causing fractures. I guess you will have a bone density test to assess your bone health at the outset as well as regular follow ups .Hope this helps - I was quite worried about Hormone therapy at the outset but thus far is ok however recognise is early days for me.
  • AT404
    I think myself very lucky that I could avoid chemo.  Will be starting radiation soonish, have an appointment for CT scan next Friday and will be told then when.  I do have lingering problems with the lymph node wounds.  Had a bad infection, and 3 lots of antibiotics sorted it out.  However, over the last couple of days the wounds and surrounding area became pink/redish.  Not sure if it is the results of strain due to exercise to get my arms above my head for treatment or not.  Will check this week with the breast cancer nurse.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I have been on letrozole (Femara) for over 4 years. Two major side effects are severe vaginal dryness and, as mentioned by Romla, letrozole can weigh in severely on bone density. My bone density was very good before I began so I think I'll get through OK but the vaginal dryness affects your sex life and requires a lot of artificial lubrication or adapting your sex life or both! Not everyone gets the same effects or to the same extent. There are a couple of threads on this topic. There is of course a potential benefit which is why I persist!