Port removal tomorrow - no love lost

JoannieJoannie Member Posts: 64
I have so far had 2 ports inserted since March this year.  The first flipped and the stitches broke and it dropped about 1 1/2 inches down my chest, so that was removed and a new one inserted early April.  This one decided to tilt itself, but the nurses have managed to maneuver it to use it for the rest of my weekly chemo which ended on August 16.  I get aches and stinging and am very aware of the port most of the time.  I just think my body did not like this device taking up residence in my body.  With weekly chemo finished and only the 3 weekly Herceptin to go until end of May next year, the decision was made to let go of this port, and I will bid it farewell.  Yippee :D

Comments

• ZoffielZoffiel Member Posts: 876
    Oh yeah. I just took the steri-strips off after having mine removed last week. Get off me, you creepy metal do-dad. Marg xx
  • lgray3911lgray3911 Member Posts: 97
    Question?? So can you just do herceptin through normal cannula in your arm?
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 919
    Yep, that's how I did mine. 
  • primekprimek Broken HillMember Posts: 3,182
    Good riddance. 
  • Cynth6Cynth6 Member Posts: 131
    Cya port !! Congrats @Joannie

I have a picc line and on Friday I get it removed as it's my last chemo infusion. 

Is the port the one that goes in the chest ?

i had a really bad skin reaction with the dressing that was used to cover the line. Having this damn thing since April I'm also very happy to see it gone !
  • JoannieJoannie Member Posts: 64
    @Cynth6 yes, it is the one that goes into the chest, and this one is called a Power Port. @lgray3911 I will either have the Herceptin through a cannula in the arm, or sub. cut. in the stomach or thigh........... to be decided.  @Zoffiel so glad this whoosie whatsit is going tomorrow. Also can anyone please tell me how do I start a new paragraph, as just hitting "enter" does not seem to work.

• JoannieJoannie Member Posts: 64
    @Afraser I may have a sub. cut. to the stomach or thigh, apparently this is a new procedure that can be used to administer Herceptin. @primek I couldn't agree more, in my case.. yes good riddance to this (yet another) pesky port.

• AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 919
    Whatever method is easiest would be my choice. After 6 months of chemo, I was surprised my veins were still viable, especially as I was down to one arm, but it was all OK. Always good to see procedures change over time if they reduce wear and tear and angst!
  • wendy_h67wendy_h67 Member Posts: 342
    Sorry to hear your port was such a problem. This is my third time I have been on IV chemo and this time I begged for a port. I Haven't had any trouble with it at all and as my chemo is on  going,  I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm  in no hurry to give it back.
  • UnicornkissesUnicornkisses Central CoastMember Posts: 361
    Do you have any funny reactions to having the port removed? I had weeks of weird sensations when it was put in, I wondered if it is the same when it is taken out?

Another question, do power ports set off the scanner at airports?