Advice needed

Believenat
Believenat Member Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in Health and wellbeing
Had stage 2b estrogen positive, double mastectomy, lymph nodes 2 micro, 19 more lymph nodes no cancer, radiation and hysterectomy, arimidex now 3 1/2 years ago was eating organic however i found that so expensive and I have noticed I am going back to what I use to eat before BC and it's not bad but it's not all fruit and vegetables either.  Don't drink any alcohol never have (maybe I should) I am just getting on with life but should I be really focussing on what I eat? 

Comments

• nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    I'm only starting out in this journey  @Believenat but from what I've read and researched along with my daughter it says toeat a well balanced healthy diet. The only real things I've found are to avoid too much processed meat and that turmeric is counter active to some drugs do shouldn't be taken. I'm sure others on here will be much more knowledgeable than me.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    There are many schools of thought on this ranging from punishingly strict diets to WTF difference does it make, I will eat and drink what I want. I tend towards the latter but I do have a spectacular lack of will power when it comes to anything gourmet.

I guess we all feel better when we have a balanced diet and keep a handle on our weight. I also feel better when I'm sitting in front of a cheese platter with a bottle of red. So shoot me. 

Eat well, allow yourself some treats and get some exercise. Be kind to yourself. No one knows for sure why most of us find ourselves in this situation, rear view mirrors aren't that helpful when it comes to BC. Marg.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I wish it were that simple. Start eating this or stop eating that and you will protect yourself from cancer. Unfortunately it isn't. For general good health, the best advice seems to be not too much meat, more fish, fruit and vegetables daily. Dairy fat is uncertain, so not too much. Limit alcohol, don't smoke. Exercise, fresh air and sleep. Obviously you may need other things depending on treatment - I am on Femara which is not good for bone density so I take calcium supplements and vitamin D on medical advice. As nonkyboy says, check supplements in case they inhibit prescribed drugs. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Sleep. @Afraser, I think you are into something there. I bet if you did a quick survey here an alarming number of the BC club would report a lack of sleep as one of the major things that makes them miserable. Whether it be stress, pain, medication--in the long run it doesn't matter what is causing it, sleep deprivation sucks. And it makes recovery Soo much harder.

I can handle some really shitty situations if I'm rested, but a press stud that won't stay done up (don't ask) can have me in tears when I'm tired and BC is exhausting. Sleep. Yeah. Let's have some of that.

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Zoffiel I couldn't agree more! Sleep is so incredibly key and the biggest thing I've never been able to do or get is a good sleep. 

I think it's just common sense with food, most importantly eat the things that make you FEEL GOOD! Do NOT deny yourself anything, it doesnt make any difference honestly. I try to clean eat through the week and have the things I really enjoy on weekends. I think thats living ;) 

The only other thing I think would be interesting right across the board of BC patients would be how many actually put themselves first, or self nurture. That was the biggest lesson for me, so damn hard to do...and yet the most important thing to learn to do. It doesnt mean youre not caring or selfless anymore..it just means that you are a priority first...others after that. 

Melinda xo
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    You can drive yourself batty trying to stop cancer.  So much info out there good and bad.   I have gone past diet and exercise and got a real bug in my bonnet about plastics and non stick coatings.  I have got rid of most of these in my house and go with the commen sense diet.  If you eat crap you'll feel like crap - whether it causes cancer or not.   Makes me feel better and hey what about stress ....   not worth it.  I am better with putting myself first Melinda - of course my kids have moved out so its a lot easier.  But if somethings worrying me I relax and bundle that worry up in my mind and when I get it nice and compact I throw it away.  I am actually getting good at doing this most of the time.  Good imagination!!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    edited August 2017
    Hi!  there are resources within this site - here's one
    https://www.bcna.org.au/health-wellbeing/physical-wellbeing/healthy-eating/

Hope it helps to give you some focus

It's all about balance and we can get hung up on things. 

Today I heard a social news report suggesting that women who dye their hair black or brown maybe more suspectible to Breast Cancer.  I have never, never dyed my hair yet here I am a BC patient/survivor!  So I must be a statistic in some other study!  who knows! 

The article also states "...

Not proven

But the lead author of the study said while there was a possible link between dark hair dye, chemical straighteners and cancer, it didn’t prove a connection..."

But it would seem that the media, like to run with the headline and not the content!

As I say there is no point trying to figure out why, it is all about how do we knock it on the head, become cancer free and into longevity and improve our health and well being!

Take care

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I am definitely NOT giving up chocolates! Having said that, its only for a few months after my birthday that I have any. In diet I do try and include fruit and veges that are coloured red or black which is supposed to be high antioxidants. That's about it for eating healthy with me. Alcohol is a beer with my 80 yr old neighbour once a month or so. He supplies the beer. :D