Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

This is a nightmare I cannot wake up from

2»

Comments

• Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    Tennille your an angel thank you. Well have great hope because in 8 months my huge 12 tumors shrunk so much they can't see them. I did chemo once and i am on perjeta and herceptin. I have had a change of heart last night seeing johnny ruffo talk about his brain cancer with such positivity. It was inspiring. I lay in bed last night and made a decision I either sink or swim. And today I'm surfing and you've helped. Love and hugs to you and thank you for caring about me to comment when you are with me on this journey.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    @Sam09

Hi Sam - can't offer much except to ask!

Do you know about the Otis Foundation?  http://www.otisfoundation.org.au/
    They provide free holidays for us!  Check it out

Pleased to read today that you had found yourself, sink or swim and you're surfing! 

Take care 

• Lisa1407
    Lisa1407 Member Posts: 258
    If you are going to get mets, bone is the best place to have them as there are relatively effective treatments. I was first diagnosed with breast cancer 18 months ago and had numerous tumours in my hip. Although I have tried a number of treatments which worked for a while, they found out the mutation that caused my cancer by doing DNA sequencing of the tumours and suggested Afinitor would work well (as it targets the mutation). I have also been having Denosumab monthly. I am pleased to say that after 3 months on the Afinitor, I am officially in remission and the tumours in my bone have disappeared completely. The Afinitor is a bit of a nasty drug and I am battling with pneumonitis at the moment. There are lots of drugs that they can try, so hang in there and don't give up! Your dogs need you! xx
  • angg66
    angg66 Member Posts: 188
    Hi @Sam09. Sorry to hear about the bone mets. In early 2016 I was diagnosed with mets in my liver, bones & lymph nodes in the chest. Up until a few weeks ago all were stable. Now the mets in my chest lymph nodes are starting to increase but very slowly, so I've just started chemo. When I originally found out about the mets I fell apart & cried for weeks. But as you say, you can either sink or swim. I choose to swim. I continue to live life to the fullest for as long as I can. I owe it to my kids! Ange xx
  • jena
    jena Member Posts: 81
    Hi @Sam09. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It is a total s*~t and such bad luck. Bad luck I share with you. 

I was diagnosed on 1 May this year. Inexplicable back pain for some months turned out to be mets in my spine. ( I introduced myself on the newly diagnosed thread if you are interested in my short story) I still find it hard to believe, especially as I've always had a healthy lifestyle; healthy eating, plenty of exercise & naughty things ( wine & chocolate
  • Sam09
    Jena 
    cyber hug your not alone 
    I feel your pain and feel your fear too. Only we know this feeling. My world and yours has come crashing down. I would tell you to stay positive but I'm having trouble getting my head around everything myself. Guess I'm hard to live with and have been since my diagnosis. Like you I'm a health nut and can't understand why we got this. Sigh. 
    I will read your introduction story now. Thinking of you as we ride this train together 
    I'm glad I have company and someone to sit with
  • jena
    Thank you for your warm message @Sam09. Let's keep in contact. 

How are you going with keeping fit / exercising?  I'm frustrated as I can do so much less than I want to. How I miss long bike rides, hiking and what not! I do have a series of back exercises I do daily, I always feel good doing them.  

I'm off to Lismore for chemo and appointments with my radiologist & oncologist tomorrow.  I'm meeting with the radiologist as I have a bunch of questions following my last treatment. 

Thinking of you and wishing you healing energy.  
  • Sam09
    Hi Jena 
    my exercise keeps me sane. It's the only control I feel I have left. I push myself to mountain walk daily walk my beautiful French mastiff every morning along the beach for 6 kilometres and do weight sessions 4 times a week. My daughter was an elite athlete so we are gym buddies. I used to be a fitness instructor so it's vitally important to me.
  • jena
    Hi @Sam09

You are evidently keeping very fit. It must be lovely having the support of your daughter. What is her sport/s

I've only managed to maintain a modest level of fitness recently due to the pain in my hips and spine. My morning dog walk is only about 1 km - our 2 little elderly shitzu mixty dogs aren't up for much more these days; one has gone blind & the other has bad arthritis, so we are a sad looking lot, but it is quality family time. 

I recently bought a spring spring wet suit, to keep my back & hips warm, so I can swim at the beach and get my heart rate up while not bother my hips - but I was a a sook this week and turned off by the cold weather. I'll get back in the water on the weekend.

In the afternoons I cycle.  I've put slicks and a gel seat on my full suspension bike ( I don't think I'll be doing single track any time soon