Radiation and when can travel

DG61
DG61 Member Posts: 3

Hi, I am going through BC treatment. I am due to commence Radiation in Sept and finish in October. Does anyone know (from their own personal view) how long it takes before you are feeling well enough and skin is good enough post Radiation treatment to travel for a short break of a week. I am live in Qld and considering a small break to Tasmania for 7 days. Not sure approximately when would be a good time after radiation to book some time away for a crazy BC treatment year.

Comments

• Cyclo
    Cyclo Member Posts: 56
    I took a week off work straight after rad treatment and went to Hobart to recover from everything but no sooner did I get there that I wanted to come home. It wasn't that I felt sick but I didn't feel really well and just wanted to be home (melbourne) in my own space.  I stayed three days I think , enjoyed some nice meals and wine then jumped on the first available plane and came back to my own space for the rest of the week before going back to work.   I think I wasn't really ready although I got great joy in planning the trip and thinking about my escape from treatment. I'm heading to japan in October which is 6 months post treatment and hope I will feel ok while there as I'm still feeling a bit vulnerable after the whole ordeal. On the other hand I'm hoping it might be a turning point for me.  I don't think bc is something that can be easily left behind ,like others on this site it's an emotional time,coming to terms with what has happened, the new limitations ,the concern for the future and so on.  I didn't have any trouble with my skin during rad therapy so it wasn't a problem for me.  I hope you have a great trip DG61, lyn 
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    I had a week on the Gold Coast (from the Sunshine Coast) for my husband's work about 2-3 weeks after I finished treatment. I was pretty good at that point but still felt a bit fragile. I didn't do much - just lounged about in a nice hotel while he conferenced. There were lots of dinners and functions - most of which I managed to attend but a few that I skipped due to tiredness etc. I would have been disappointed if I had paid a lot of money for that trip (as a holiday) but it was better than being home by myself as my husband had to be there anyway. I like to do a lot of activity on my holidays and I get bored sitting around. 
    3 months after finishing my treatment I traveled to Thailand - by then I was fine. It was a family holiday and we all scuba dived, hiked, kayaked, rode bicycles and generally had a fabulous time. I had a few aches and pains (I still do - thanks to chemo and Arimidex!) but I was as fit as I had been prior to my diagnosis. 
    I think most people recover from radiation within a week or two of treatment finishing but everyone is different. Some people breeze through with barely any issues and others really struggle. What type of holiday are you hoping for? If it's not too physical you should be right within a few weeks. If you're traveling with someone who can carry your luggage and you have a nice relaxing time planned then it should be wonderful. 

• DG61
    Thanks to you both. The information is great. Its giving me an idea of what to expect.
    We 'normally' have active holidays with water sports etc. However with the BC diagnosis and treatment (began in Jan of this year) it has been exhausting. So will give me more to think about with timing and what to do. Thanks so much.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    I found the first 2 weeks too after rads very hard, as it is cumulative so it really hit at that point once I finished. I had severe burn too so that took a bit of healing and I couldnt wear any bra or crop nothing for a week. The fatigue was really bad and they said Id need 2 weeks to rest. After that you really pick up. x
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I think it varies from person to person dependent on hm radiotherapy and how your body reacts eg skin damage and fatigue. I am very fair but surprisingly skin impact was minimal but do note I creamed up 3 times daily with Dermaveen and still am 2.5 months later. We went to Cairns 4 weeks after and was careful with uv eg rashie in pool but no lengthy uv exposure eg no 8 hour outer reef snorkelling for me.Had noticeable fatigue the week after radiotherapy finished - did an exercise class the morning after and slept the afternoon - but otherwise ok .I also only had 16 sessions of radiotherapy.I think re tiredness the key might to be taking things at a relaxed pace after treatment but talk to your radiation onc and nurse plus give yourself some time to see how your body goes during treatment.Also radiotherapy is intense as it's daily going back and forth ( including trying to find a park) to get zapped you might like a bit of time to slow down from it all
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I remember saying to my surgeon I was worried I wouldn't be able to fly and he said yes you don't have wings - made me laugh after I got over the surprise and realised he was saying life goes on and so should my participation in it .
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I think a break away is invaluable, but when you take it is the problem.

If you are not working and you are flexible I'd say leave it a few weeks. If you have no choice, take what you can get.

You can reasonably expect to have some skin issues after radiotherapy, most of the time they resolve within a couple of weeks. If you are in any way comprised before you go into that phase of treatment you could need some extra help. Most of us get kicked off the bus after rads and don't have any follow up, but I wouldn't want to be chasing help while I was on holidays.
  • DG61
    thanks everyone, this is all great information.