Anti-werewolf pep talk?

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    edited August 2017
    @Romla and @Primek I had lengthy discussions with my Oncologist and Pharmacist, I do not qualify, I exhausted it believe me, osteoporotic or not under 70 there is no reduction that's men and women, I was furious at the time, so I looked extensively into it. My bone density scan however was free due to having lumbar stenosis and some other things prior to chemo. Never had any fractures and have a health care card too uuugh LOL. Unless that is something new that has come in, my Pharmacist if not the Oncologist would be aware of it, so unsure.

I take Aromasin in the morning, Ive tried it every which way, night too makes no difference. Honestly I don't feel any major side effects now, so I take it like a lolly LOL. Not a big deal. xx 
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    My experience hasn't been positive, but I'm in party no-new-hair. If anything my body hair has become thinner. Don't read this next sentence if you're queasy; I have the shortest pubic hair now, oh my gosh it gets to like 5mm strands and stops, it's like do I even shave what is the point hahaha. So who knows what the heck is going to happen :joy:
  • CellyK
    CellyK Member Posts: 23
    Update: Well I had my first tamoxifen pill last night.  Nothing, not even a stray fart.  But I guess it takes a while to 'get going' in your system (?).  I did wake up at 5 - but that was more likely because I was curious to know if I felt different, than from actually feeling different.  And it is a new moon, maybe in 2 weeks when the moon is full, I'll start scratching at the back door at 3 in the morning.
    @InkPetal - having less hair in Tazzy, sounds okay - isn't that the trend now?  Is that from hormone or chemo treatment tho?  
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    I'm 59 and osteoporotic and get my prolia for $38.00 and some odd cents. I have had the same rib fracture without a fall, eight months apart. Once from having a scan done on my stomach and again upon awakening from bilateral mastectomy. Presume they were moving my on or off the table. @melclarity , I was told that although under 70, I qualified due to the fractures sustained without force.
  • melclarity
    @AllyJay Hey! 

Yes from what the others have said if you have fractures you qualify, I've never had them so didn't qualify. I even argued that being at risk, that BC patients should be automatic but they said theyre not. I'll ring my Oncologist again but I tried every avenue possible and got NO from everyone so Im like $120 out of pocket. Stupid really. 
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    @CellyK It's definitely hormone. After chemo I got that fresh baby soft fuzz and I'm long beyond that. :lol:
  • melclarity
    @primek @romla I rang my oncologist and asked the question i have Osteoporosis in my neck and lower back, do i qualify for the concession. ..the answer was No. This is all relayed through his secretary. Kath do you know where else I can check...im due one mow and its so expensive. 
    Melinda 

Also how much does everyone pay for Aromasin or similar? It cost me $38.80.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    @melclarity google the actual PBS site use search terms Prolia pbs eligibility there are 2 criteria I read over 70 or osteoporotic and had a fracture. I had had a cracked rib show up in a scan .
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Hi Mel, I'm paying similar for Arimidex. I'm not game to change to a generic brand as so far I haven't had many bad side effects. I just don't want to make any changes and push my luck! x
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    edited August 2017
    I also pay $38 whatever cents for Arimidex and just like Hopes_and_Dreams I'm not prepared to change back to a generic to save a few dollars. My first 12 months were various generic brands and that was the time when my side effects were all over the place. I asked my doctor about ordering a specific brand (one of the generics which seemed to be better than the others) and ever since then she's prescribed Arimidex rather than anastrozole and I have refused brand substitution. 
    My pharmacist claims that they are all the same active ingredients (otherwise they couldn't sell them) but I know that on some of them my joint pain was much worse. Since I stuck with Arimidex the pain has almost disappeared - maybe it was just 12 months and my body finally got used to it or maybe it was the brand change? 
    I really don't care and while I'm pain free I don't plan on doing any experiments to find out!!
  • melclarity
    @Romla yes I know of those 2 criteria too, but I havent had a fracture, so I think thats why I said earlier that I wasnt eligible for it. Stupid thing is my Bone Density was free because I had lumbar stenosis..so you'd think that being osteoporotic in 2 spots would do the same for Prolia. What crap honestly! 

Thanks @Hopes_and_Dreams @HarleyB Oh when I said similar I meant like Im on Aromasin, similar meaning Arimidex, Tamoxifen. Reason I asked is I've always had a health care card and never paid more than like $8.60 or something so wondered is $38.80 the standard price for the meds?? bloody terrible considering thats only for a month!!! 

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    @melclarity, yes, that is the fee for some scripts which are on the PBS. Some of my, (and my husband's) scripts are less, but that is a standard charge for non concession card holders. Fortunately for us, we have just reached our safety limit of $1494.00 as a couple for the year so far, so from now on, until the end of the year, we will pay concession rates for scripts.
  • melclarity
    @AllyJay aaah good to know! I havent paid full for a script eventhough I work full time I'm a single parent, but my baby just turned 18 so the little bit extra I was getting has stopped...makes it very difficult to live let alone afford this pill monthly uuugh! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    @melclarity I know another scan but naybe fet you spine check as sometimes there are compression # that we are unaware of then you would qualify. So darned annoying. You go onto prevent getting a fracture but then disadvantaged because you didn't gave one. Grrrr

I had to argue for annual bone density scan last week so I didn't have to pay. They added me to their osteo clinic and that allowed it.

It might be something BCNA should be fighting for especially with the studies revealing a protective factor against bone mets with an AI. 
  • melclarity
    edited August 2017
    Kath, I checked the PBS but it only states over 70 and or if you have a fracture. So dumb, as I said I got the bone density for free as I had lumbar stenosis. So once Bone Density was done, makes no sense that I don't qualify, they say T Score has to be -2.5 my neck is -1.8 but Im not over 70??? CRAZY!!! ..I don't know...but he's adamant I get ZIP! who the hell can afford this!!!