Surgery 15Th August

Barney74
Barney74 Member Posts: 89
Getting very anxious and scared so close to surgery day

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    You have done the right thing - keep posting here as you will soon find lots of ladies who have "been there, done that" who will come on and support you.  Tomorrow will come and go so quickly.  Put your trust in your medical team - do not sit and worry about anything as brooding won't help - ask questions so you get the reassurance you need at the time.  We will be thinking of you.  All the best positive thoughts coming your way .....
    Big cyber hugs
    Summer  :-)
  • Barney74
    Thank you
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    wishing you all the best for tomorrow @Barney74.  You will be in good hands and out the other side before you know it.
    And ... one step closer to being cancer free.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Had a bilateral mastectomy with full node clearance on the left and sentinal nodes on the right. Aside from complications, mainly due to or exacerbated by other preexisting medical problems, it was far, far easier than I was expecting. Trust your team, don't be afraid to make your needs known to the nursing staff and just trust yourself too. Button all the way down the front nighties or pyjamas are best, as lifting your arm/s up will be difficult. I found my kindle really good as it's not heavy to hold for reading. Also took my own coffee and tea...life's too short to drink crappy tea! The very best of luck to you and best wishes too.

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

It's not as bad as you think it is going to be. OK, it's not something that we're all hoping we get a chance at, but those couple of hours in the admissions clinic waiting for your turn are absolutely the toughest part.

It's only one day in your life. There are tears and grief and all the rest afterwards, but nothing is as hard as actually deciding to do it. You're through the stress of making a decision, get the next bit done and you will never be in this place again. I think we can all appreciate just what a hurdle it is, getting over the last day or so, but if it is your best chance of survival, it's worth it.

My advice is take pain relief if you need it, you may be surprised at how little you will require but don't get behind the game and make yourself miserable. Mind you, I freely admit I just love my opiates, so maybe I'm a bit biased...

As Ally has said, if you like a nice hot cuppa, take your own teabags/coffee and a thermos mug. Hot drinks in hospital are generally shite and it's nice to have something you enjoy that arrives at your bedside and isn't weak, bitter and tepid (Gawd, that sounds like me lately)

Good luck, Marg xxx

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hang in there.  Despite the stress if impending surgety the relief that the cancer is no longer in your body is such a relief. Hope all goes smoothly for you. Kath x
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    All the best for today. <3

• Anne94
    Anne94 Member Posts: 162
    Hi @Barney74
    wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery from the surgery. Take the pain relief as needed, have your own tea/coffee. Loved my kindle too in hospital. 
    Anne xo
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    @Barney74, good luck today. Thinking of you.
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    All the best for today. I had my surgery last week and came out of it feeling better than i thought i would. Listening to my favourite music on my iPod helped heaps. Take pain relief when you need it; it makes you feel so much more comfortable.
    Best wishes xo Cath
  • Barney74
    Thank you ladies 
    Im in Pre admission at moment waiting to go thru.long day so far x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Yes, when you are waiting and waiting it seems like it won't come around  but you've got all of us here willing you along to a great outcome so you take care, take a deep breath!  Here's to success!  Take care xx

"...If blue dye is used to find the sentinel node, the urine may turn blue for 24 hours after surgery. The skin of the breast may also become blue but this will fade with time..."
    taken from https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/cancer-types/breast-cancer/treatment/what-does-treatment-breast-cancer-involve/breast-cancer-surgery/surgery-armpit-axilla/sentinel-node-biopsy

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    You must be starving @Barney74 ! It is an endurance test, isn't it. I sometimes I suspect that waiting serves it's own purpose as you move from 'I don't want to be here' to 'FFS, let's get it over and done with'. Hang in there. Marg XXX
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    I hope it all went well. I am 12 days past surgery and doing fine. Right mastectomy with full Lymphnode clearance.
    I was only in hospital for 3 nights and although I had a PCA, I only used it once.
    Had I realised it was the reason I had to be hooked up to a drip, I would have asked not to have it, as the anaethetist said it wasn't routine.
    Panadol was enough as long as I took it regularly.
    Showering was tricky as first until I got used to working around the drains, and I kept forgetting not to reach too far with my right arm.
    The Lymphnode drain was unpleasant for the last few days as it got sore around the stitch, and my Lymphnode removal area is getting irritated but once it came out, life looked up. Pain minimal, arm works fine for most things.
    The skin is healing well.
    I am wearing a soft post surgery bra now and am waiting for my soft form from Berlei.
    So I hope you have the same uneventful healing.
    I was discharged with one drain in and the home care nurse came twice a week to check me, changed the dressings and change the bag. I did it the other days and recorded the output.
    It was much easier than I thought it would be and now I am doing most of the things I would normally do.
    it is nice to have an excuse to put your feet up and watch some TV with a dog on your knees in this cooler weather.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Thinking of you and hoping all has gone well today