What music lifts you spirits?

Romla
Romla Member Posts: 2,092
As well as reading music plays a big part in my well being - my tastes are somewhat eclectic depending on my mood - pop, jazz , rock , folk and blues.Have discovered the joys of YouTube since my bc journey started and have been amazed at what I have found . Heard a wonderful radio program on The Carpenters today - Karen's voice and their harmonies were quite special.

Comments

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    The Country Music Festival is on in Broadbeach, Gold Coast this weekend.  We'll be heading in to see America on Sunday arvo. I'm not a massive country fan but you can't beat the amazing atmosphere of weekends like this. We never miss Blues on Broadbeach each May and are never disappointed.  My husband has an acoustic duo (not his day job) so I get to switch from roadie to groupie each time he plays!  I bought a harmonica and have been trying to teach myself, not hugely successful but fun :)
    No matter what shape or form it comes in, music is definitely good for the soul.  Jane xx
  • Romla
    Agreed - just been reading on fb about an old school friend who took up ukulele in the last couple of years and has a wonderful time playing around town with a large group of fellow enthusiasts on weekends - gather is a very popular instrument these days .Feeling myself time to pick up my guitar again - used to have a lot of fun late a night singing with friends
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    Hearing a song takes you back sometimes.  Whenever I hear Girls on the Avenue by Richard Clapton c.1975 it takes me back to living in Canberra. 
  • Romla
    Gee the Broadbeach blues fest sounds great - have a heard there's a good one at Byron Bay too. We have WOMAD here in mad March which is huge . Love Richard Clapton esp Capricorn Dancer iserbrown.Also been chatting to Jeff St John ( " Teach me how to Fly") on fb - he's just turned 70 and lives in Perth another great Aussie singer
  • Romla
    Music does bring context to our lives - you are right iserbrown it brings up memories of people and places - my daughter has filled my phone up with all sorts from Broadway shows we saw together in 2014 to Peter, Paul and Mary songs I taught my kids and all points in between.She even found an acoustic piece I heard Jose Feliciano play when I was 13 L'entrada Di Bilbao which I'd been looking for ever since .
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    That is wonderful. When I'm driving myself to a CoM meeting I enjoy listening to Van Morrison as it is relaxing. I also have the Addams Family as my ring tone as they live in Cemetery Lane. It cracks me up with smiles as I prepare for the call coming in.
    My Dad is in his 80s and has discovered You Tube so he can listen away.
    Endless pleasure

• wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    I find music can reallly lift your mood . Sometimes I just listen to relaxing music. I sometimes listen to the Carpenters,  Bee Gees, Michael Buble, and even Rod Stewart . Depending on the mood I'm in 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    The Broadbeach Blues Fest is fantastic.   Other than traditional blues music, we get a lot of wonderful Aussie music.   Over the last few years we've seen:  Russell Morris (love him!!!) Diesel, James Reyne, Darryl Braithwaite, Richard Clapton and Ross Wilson.  I haven't been to the one at Byron Bay but believe it's great. 
  • Romla
    Am a Van fan too esp some of his dance tunes like Bright side of the Road. Love Russell Morris too . Ian Moss ex Cold Chisel often performs at Byron Bay - only down the coast for you -sounds like an opportunity for a good weekend ? The Addams family theme for a ringtone - that is funny ! I like to get up and dance to Wham's Wake me up before you go go but you are now sworn to secrecy as my children would be horrified 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hello everyone
    Yes, music is a life-saver !  As I am going deaf that is one thing I will miss.  That and birds singing.
    Artists from Leonard, my first LP in 1969, to more sedate or popular songs can be the thing depending on my mood.
    Having just had my record player repaired (stop laughing - they are making a comeback !) my husband is amused by the range I have.  Probably my favourites are Leonard Cohen and Neil Diamond.  RIP Lennie.
    We have Lennie on CD in the car when travelling and the three furry kids don't settle until we put his CDs on !  The dog sings along with him !  (Yep, loud but funny and sometimes in tune).
    Keep on grooving ladies.
    Summer  :-)
  • Romla
    Love Leonard too - remember first hearing him in a place called Safed , Israel in the wee hours and being stunned by "Hey that's no way to say Goodbye "  and many other of his songs. Raced out next morning to buy a songbook with chords to learn some of his music and 40 years later still have it - there are some great old clips on YouTube of him with Judy Collins , Julie Felix etc
  • Romla
    Wished I'd had my record player repaired - didn't think it could be done so gave away over 300 LPs including a Cohen to a young girl across the road who was delighted. Btw the first LP I bought was Joe Cocker " Mad Dogs and Englishmen" and still love it's tracks today - Joe had quite a voice and was a lovely gentle bloke 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Yay for Leonard Cohen. My spirits get lifted by almost anything in a minor key! So Cohen, Nick Cave, Patti Smith, soft spot for Lily Allen. But I really like the old boys - Mahler, Elgar, Brahms, Beethoven, Monteverdi among others - as well as the newer kids on the block, Philip
    Glass, Arvo Pert, John Adams - and Ross Edwards, Nigel Westlake and Elena Katz-Chernin among the home grown.
  • Romla
    TBH the piece that has been drawing me lately is an old one my Mum used to play and I found it again on YouTube - " Ebb Tide" played by the Frank Chacksfield orchestra - I love the ocean in any season and fills me with memories of my beloved Port Elliot  Will check out the home grown names you mention - thanks for the tip . I also like Grieg esp " Morning song" from Peer Gynt and Saint Saens esp "The Swan" from Carnival of the Animals
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Wow I used to holiday at port Elliot when I was a kid!!i grew up in south Australia. Lived in qld for more than 20 years now.  Katy perrys Roar is a good one for me also love to crank up some Bon jovi and any ABBA song always gets me in a good mood. Also love a good Pink song too or any 80s glam rock..... oh the memories or my bottle blonde spiral permed long hair with my leg warmers and size 8 waist lol