Coming to terms with it all

Options
Artferret
Artferret Member Posts: 259
HI i'm in my early 50's, I've been newly diagnosed with early stage breast cancer after my first mammogram and having surgery within the next month. it's all a bit overwhelming at times and the emotional roller coaster is hell. Coming to terms with this was difficult as my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer a month before we found out about me...I was the icing on the cake...and I've never liked icing, even as a child I always scraped it off! What makes me laugh at the moment? The antics of our 18 month old Cavalier King Charles. My husband is my rock and gives me all the support I need and I do the same for him. The next few months are going to be rather challenging for both of us.

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Yep, they will be challenging.

A decent serving of humour can help. Laced with a splash of cynicism and sitting on a pool of cool determination topped by a lattice of frustration, humour can be served through the whole performance in either it's white, milk or dark varieties.

Good luck @Artferret.

• brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Big huggs hubby included  keep on posting and asking questions ..lots of support When you have treatment plan in place ..trying to make decisions on your treatment and DH is overwhelming so bcn support packs for inf I and contac the counsellor psychologist is ideal
    All the best xx Bright

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    My husband got early bowel cancer after I had finished active treatment. Better if he'd never got it at all, but there may be some benefits in going through treatment together!  Main thing is we are both well, so keep your sights on recovery, keep laughing at your dog's antics and you will both get through this. Very best wishes.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    So sorry you've had to join us but you'll be in good company here.I've been on the bc journey twice-2003 and again in 2010.Each time it was early bc.I'm fine now and the majority of women with early bc will live a long life.Its so scary and surreal at first but you'll get your head around it better when you have a plan.The not knowing and the waiting are the worst bits.I found it helpful to keep really busy during the 'waiting'.Keep coming back here for support because we know what you are going through.
    Big hug xx
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Bloody hell @Artferret, I've heard the saying the family that plays together.....  Bit too literal you two!!! Welcome to the forum. All jokes aside its great that the two of you have such a support system going BUT if you have family members who offer assistance (real, practical assistance) Tie them up to the furniture and make the most of them so that the two of you can breathe a bit and keep your strength for your treatments. If you've got questions throw them at everyone here, there's a slight bit of experience. Big hugs to both, keep in touch and letbus all know how you're both doing. Xx Cath
  • nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Artferret what a double whammy for you both. I'm also having my first surgery next month after being recently diagnosed a few weeks ago. The roller coaster of tests and drs has been never ending since I found out this diagnosis. Take the time to reach out to friends and family so you have a good support network around you as you will both need it. I wish you all the best of luck as you start this most unwanted journey. I'm sorry you had to join us.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    We're here for you. My dad has prostate cancer decades ago and returned to a good life. You aren't alone. <3

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Hi @Artferret (love the name!) challenging is an understatement.  As the other ladies have said there is a huge amount of support here for you. Once you have your surgery you'll have a clear treatment plan and will feel a lot more in control. You'll also be able target questions back to us - we've all had breast cancer but have so many variations in our diagnosis, surgery and treatment.  My uncle has prostate cancer a few years ago and following surgery, radiation and some hormone treatment is now cancer free.
    Just like breast cancer, there are wonderful treatments and successes in PC. You and your husband will get through this together and don't forget you now have all of us too!  Jane xx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Shit happens to good people all the time and you lovely have been just given 2 big turds to deal with. You don't know how strong you are until you face adversity and you will draw strength from each other to get through this. Hang in there this forum will give you heaps of support love and advice so feel free to whinge moan and crack it whenever you want. Best of luck with your surgery   Margie
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Artferret the most frustrating thing about cancer is what we dont know. Why me? Why not me? There are no conclusive answers for why this crap is happening.
    You then come to terms with it and  see treatment  like a job... something you need to do. The other confusing aspect is you will meet others going for treatment. All ages.. all sizes ..all different levels of activity. So there isnt one size fits all ..anyone can and does get cancer. Best wishes for both of you