Turmeric

Options
Hendrix
Hendrix Member Posts: 324
Hello again...this week I found out grapefruit is a no no...oops!!! Thank you to the lovely that pointed this out to me...what about turmeric is that allowed? Thank you Nellie xx

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I've been taking it post chemo. I've got problems with myalgia and tendonitis and there is a suggestion that it can help with inflammation and some gut issues. The onc is OK with it.

Is it working? Who knows. Im feeling better than I was a couple of months ago (I'd want to be) That could be attributed to any manner of things--exercise, time, tumeric, wine...
  • Hendrix
    Options
    @Zoffiel thank you, I might give it a go..good to hear your feeling better...I can't wait to be post chemo xx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Hendrix I've heard alot about Turmeric with great reports but haven't tried it. I've been on magnesium powder in water daily for over a year with Caltrate and Vit D and C. All of this I started post chemo, as chemo depletes the system seemed pointless to whilst going through it. Im 20 months post chemo and I really have to say I'm managing better than I ever did, I take panadol osteo but now only every few days which is huge for me. I feel more energetic and pain is lessening. I think its a combination of things. The recovery for chemo can be a few years, it all depends on the individual i was extremely ill 4.5 months through it. I had to learn to walk again basically. Now kicking goals with a wonderful Exercise Physiologist since last year and an amazing Naturopath. I'm actually better than I was before lol. Certainly lots of things you can do and take post chemo that will make a huge difference :) Melinda xo
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Just want to comment also l was going to buy a herbal tea the other day . I have a rare blood cancer as well as had bc lm on daily oral chemo and the tea reacted with all the meds im on so hence l didnt buy it.
  • Hendrix
    Options
    @melclarity you've had it tough and I take my hat off to you and everyone else who goes through  recurrence xx

@Kathy_BCNA thank you I will avoid turmeric until post chemo

• viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Well I'm glad this post came up! I've been on turmeric for several months and it's stopped my IBS and helped my osteoarthritic knees (doesn't cure but provides relief). My surgeon wasn't interested in it but the anaesthetist got me to stop it before lumpectomy and then axillary clearance ops as it is a mild anticoagulant. I haven't started chemo yet so am a bit miffed that it sounds like I won't be able to take it. I have been buying it in bar form from QLD and it's potentiated with all the right ingredients. Turmeric Life is the website, interesting reading for humans and also for your fur babies! @melclarity I see what you mean ... need to discuss with oncologist the point of me swallowing all my vitamins and oils etc ... if there's any point whilst doing chemo. Hmph. I keep trying to fix what's broke!☹
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    @Zoffiel I didn't know it helped with the gut, only arthritic conditions. Last year I struggled with IBS for nearly 9 months and TMI having to wear Depends out - at 52 - as was getting no warning.  After taking turmeric for about a month my knee pain was reduced and the IBS just stopped! I haven't had it since. I was pretty amazed as last year was dreadful ... I hope to God it doesn't come back with chemo if I have to stop the turmeric. ☹