Surgery options for reconstruction in Brisbane

Options
onemargie
onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
edited July 2017 in General discussion
Hi there everyone haven't been on here for a while sometimes I just withdraw for a bit when it gets too much but Im back again now feeling better. Anyway after a chat to my local federal member about the wait list at the RBWH  the ridiculous 2 year wait to see a surgeon then another 18 months after that for the recon I thought Id let you know after a bit of research have found a surgeon who does intermediate surgery (private patient in a public hospital) Dr Alys Saylor who consults out of Fortitude Valley in Brisbane. i was told initially that there was no intermediate surgeons available from Brisbane to Cairns but found this info out from a lady who does the dragon boat abreast over on Bribie Island (just trying to get my confidence to give it a go!) I was in my local butcher of all places when we got chatting! Anyway I will be seeing her as soon as I can get an appointment and I will keep you posted on what she says. Also my local member Susan Lamb is bloody fantastic and was so approachable and took my concerns about the above to Canberra so fingers crossed something gets done. She said that skin cancer surgery takes priority over breast recon and while I appreciate that this is important, breast recon should be equally important. From her research BC reconstruction is considered elective can you believe that!! Yes it should be our choice whether we get it done not the bloody governments! Margie:)

Comments

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Thanks for the post. It does not directly affect me but will help others. I would like to respond to your comment you withdraw and then come back. I am similar. Sometimes it all gets too much .Time passes and then I check in .We are all in this together the highs and lows. 
  • MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    re: withdrawing & coming back, i do the same... sometimes it all get's a bit overwhelming. 
    M<y friends all mean well, they all say "stay strong" i guess they don;t know what else to say. But they really just don't understand like all here! 

re: the reconstruction - yes i had heard it's about 2 years at RBWH, i'm not looking forward to that wait! At what point do we actually get referred to a PS for recon & get put onto that waiting list?
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Maybe i'll ask this question at my pre admissions appointment. 
    Get sick of the stay positive shit too. My neighbor came over this morning and said he read chemo is nothing more than a scam and that it doesn't work in 95% of cases. Now I really am fond of my neighbor, he has done so much, but if that was trying to cheer me up lol, it didn't work. I just take comments like this with a grain of salt.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    You ladies make me laugh.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    That's the plan @LMK74 , celebrate the ridiculous :)

I know people like your neighbour generally mean well and can be incredibly kind. It is, as you say, a foot in mouth thing, I'll bet he has a few,  and you wouldn't want to upset him.

I sometimes have to turn down my auto-response function, shut my mouth and put up with nonsense because doing what I feel like doing would just cause too much trouble and take too much time to explain. Those prone to idiotic comments or unnecessary rudeness or incompetence are generally completely baffled when you call them for it.

I do find, however, that quietly imagining them in places they wouldn't want to be helps. Google Jackass Mousetrap Game (turn the sound down for your own safety) That's one of my favourite places to 'drop' people. Up yourself young registrar? Guess where nasty old Aunty Marg is visualising you right now. Take that and leave wondering why I was chuckling to myself in the middle of some unpleasant experience.