Post op - 2nd op in 12 days.

Collpepsi
Collpepsi Member Posts: 19
Hello this is my first post. I have just had my 2nd op in 12 days as the dr didn't get all the lobular cancer in the first op.
I am finding recovery from this op much harder than the first op. Assume that is due to not being healed after the first op. 
Pain is much worse, still needing endone 5 days after the op. Still stupid tired aa well. 
Any suggestions? Feel like I should be much better than I do.  
Also (I  know I am feeling very needy today) given how much they had to take my nipple had to be moved. This is was done in the first op and the pain around the nipple is horrible. Is this normal? 
Thanks

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

This stuff really knocks you around, @Collpepsi The anaesthetic  is hard work for your body; two in less than a fortnight is a big ask on top of the stress of being told you have to go back in. As if once isn't bad enough.

Your pain isn't something that you can compare with someone else's. The main thing is to be aware of what sort of pain it is. If there is heat or swelling get yourself back in and  get it checked immediately.

I like Endone. (too much, probably) Thing is, it isn't always the best pain relief for me. After five days it may be time to mix it up a bit and ask what you may be able to try instead. If you feel it's nerve pain something like Lyrica may help, otherwise an anti-inflammatory may give you some relief. Give your GP or Breast Care nurse a call if you haven't got access to your surgeon and get their advice.

Marg xx

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I took panadol osteo 3 times a day and also tramadol twice a day to manage pain. I ended up with nerve pain as healing which was awful, so needed lyrica for a couple of weeks. Whilst I had a different procedure I imagine pain recovery would be much the same. Tiredness  most likely due to 2 surgeries so close and also pain relief can make you tired too. Take care. Rest when you need. Kath x
  • Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Hi, i had 2 ops in 14 days,  1st lumpectomy and 13 lymph  nodes removed. Pathology test from it came back with more Canxxx (i hate the word). As a result, another op for mastectomy  was done exactly  on the 14th day.
    My pain hasnt been too bad, i just accept it, i guess we're  all different,  i do get some nerve pain every  so often. ..thats me.
    Good luck  and take care..xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    @collpepsi, I've just had breast reduction and the area around the nipple has been the most painful. 

A couple of years ago I had 2 operations very close together, a lumpectomy and then mastectomy after they didn't get clear margins. It was pretty devastating to be back in hospital again and took a while to get back in my feet.

Recently, I have been sleeping a lot after surgery and it was the morphine initially and then Endone which were making me tired. Also your body needs time to heal. The pain itself can be very draining and interfere with sleep which makes you tired. Be kind to yourself. It's such a stressful time. I'm sorry you've had to go through those operations so close together and that you're in pain. 
  • Collpepsi
    Thanks Marg. I didn't mention the fits of crying that still overtake me by surprise at times
  • Collpepsi
    Thanks LucyE. Sorry to hear about your operations.  
    I think its easy to think we should be immune in some way to the pain
  • Collpepsi
    Thanks Hulos, the quick turnaround on ops when the pathology comes back not clear is crap that is for sure. Just got the pathology all clear for the 2nd op
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Collpepsi I was diagnosed with lobular cancer . Had a lumpectomy followed by further surgery to widen margin about 10/12 days later which came back clear. Feeling needy is ok and this is a good spot to get support from those that get where you are at.Also have you got good rapport with your surgeon/ gp ? -might be worth chatting to them about your physical concerns.Tbh most of that stuff went by in a bit of a blur for me as the support I received from medical staff was astounding.I wonder if part of it is being anxious about what next. Also Endone can knock you around quite a bit which may not be helping how you feel.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I can tell you there are a lot of women diagnosed with breast cancer - 48 more each day . Also there are many women who have had breast cancer who live happy busy lives.Yes they have had flat spots and tough times - read about some on this site - but you will come through just as they have. It might be time to see if there are any local breast cancer groups in your area - google helped me as did the Cancer Council who put me touch with a lovely Brisbane woman who had been through it Hope you have the BCNA kit but for me atm the thing I needed most was to know life goes on - it's great you took the first step joining online chat . xo
  • [Deleted User]
    @Collpepsi great to hear you've got the all clear on your pathology. Hopefully you'll start to feel better soon. In my last message I was really trying to say I know what you're going through. I also can relate to be teary. I cried a lot after my second op. After having a cry I felt much better. :) 
  • Collpepsi
    Hi Romia, my surgeon is good but I haven't found him the easiest to talk to about my non surgical type things. 
    I see him tomorrow to get my oncologists referral and for him to check me out after the latest surgery.  I get anxious thinking about bringing up any concerns tbh as I know there are so many people in a much harder situation than me.
    Thanks for the comments
  • [Deleted User]
    It always helped me to write down a few questions so I remembered to ask them. I still forget to ask my doctor questions even when I write them down. 
  • Collpepsi
    Thats good advice, thanks will do that.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @Collpepsi, welcome!!! I know this must be incredibly hard to go through so very much in such a short amount of time, but try and not give yourself time limits for feeling better and healing. Your body and mind are taking a beating at the moment. If you can, rest and take it as easy as possible. If you have someone to look after you , take it and soak it up. As for the outbursts of crying - no bloody wonder!!! Sob your heart out - if nothing else it's a stress relief.  Don't expect to stop the random sobs any time soon cause they creep up and burst out at the most random times and when you least expect them. Sending you a big gentle hug. You're doing brilliantly. Xx Cath
  • Collpepsi
    Oh god you made me cry