Overwhelmed - Still

AliMarie
AliMarie Member Posts: 11
Hi Ladies, I have recently received my treatment plan....one week on and one week off for 2 months and then once a week for 3 months. I also need a portacath in. Has anyone had this kind of treatment plan and if so how did you feel/manage? I'm also concerned about the portacath, not the procedure but just about having it in for about 12 months. Any advice? Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I had a portacath in and my treatment plan was ACT-H. The portacath insertion was quite simple. It felt uncomfortable for a bit but settled quickly. It certainly made chemo much easier. My treatment was finished in January, earlier than planned. I still have my portacath in and just get it flushed every 6 weeks. Will get it out later in the year. Just can't be bothered presently. It gives me no issues, it's been in over 14 months. 

I wasn't well on chemo. But it was doable and you quickly forget. I can now say confidently if I had to ...I'd do it again.  I couldn't work during chemo and returned to work at reduced hours and worked myself up to fitness to work full time.  Kath x
  • Mrs_H
    Mrs_H Member Posts: 102
    Hi @AliMarie, your treatment plan sounds similar to mine. I've just finished the first of 4 AC (2 months). I've got a 2 week break before starting the weekly treatment for 3 months. The nurse took one look at my veins and suggested the portacath. For the most part, the port has been easy. The first access after insert was uncomfortable but it was only 4 days after insert so there was still lots of swelling which caused the discomfort. Otherwise I've had little issues with it. I would say it is still healing though 7 weeks on due to the chemo. 

I chose to to do the port as I didn't want any issues trying to find veins and having to "settle" for crap veins in case they couldn't find a good one.

good luck with treatment. Jen.
  • AliMarie
    Thanks Kath. I am lucky enough to have a brilliant boss and have taken 6 months leave from my job. I love my work so will see how I go with the chemo but not planning on working. I still can't get my head around the hair loss....I know that's a vain thing but I'm struggling with it...x
  • AliMarie
    And I think your a brave lady saying you would do it again if you had too! That gives me a little more confidence in knowing it's doable
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @Ali Marie loosing your hair is weird. You are not being vain I cant think of anyone who was happy to loose their hair.
    In time you work with it either beanies scarfs wigs etc. Having a port in was a good thing for me.
    As to chemo everyone reacts in their own way. Some ladies have lots of side effects some hardly any.
    I made it through and I am pleased to be cancer free .
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    @AliMarie my chemo was different to you, but I agree with the others... not pleasant but manageable. I was terrified, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. They nurses were amazing. They will take such good care of you and oncologists have a lot in their arsenal to manage nasty side effects. I'm still just recovering from my final round, which I'm immensely happy about, but even now I'd go back again for peace of mind if they told me I needed it (even though I realaaaaly would prefer not!) All the best xxx
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Hi @AliMarie I have a portacath, it felt funny for a few days after insertion but now I don't even think about it. I have finished 4 AC which were once every 3 weeks and had my 1st weekly taxol today 11 to go and had herceptin too. I have been really lucky and have had very few side effects on AC and today was even easier. I actually feel normal and hoping it stays like this. Good luck! Xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Losing your hair is very hard. It's not being vain at all. Once mine started to come out in clumps I opted to buzz cut most of it.  I took control.   It was empowering for me to make the call when my hair was going. I intended on wearing a wig. Had it ready etc. But I hated it and ended just rocking the scarves and hats. Hair grows back, different for some,  definitely for me,  but it does. I had my eyebrows done with permanent makeup tattoo before losing them all. One last thing to worry about. I used makeup a lot, determined when I left the house I would glow despite no hair. And I did...on the outside at least. Inside was a battle some days. But I did, others have, and you can too. You are stronger than you ever could imagine.  

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Hi @AliMarie I've had a portacath for 17 months now and have to keep it for another 19 months. I've had a few issues with mine, including having it flip, but this wasn't too bad. I would definitely get one again. It saved me from so much pain and discomfit from collapsed veins during chemo.  Good luck with it.

• Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    I have a Bard Powerport Portacath. It took quite a while to settle down and for my body to accept it but after 4 months I hardly know it is there. I just have to use the Zonta pillow to cover it under the seatbelt when I am a passenger as it is on my left side.
    I had it in only a week before my first chemo, so it was still sore after the operation,to access, but better and quicker than trying to find a vein. 
    It gave me weird referred pains around the other side of my neck and down through the middle of my chest for a couple of weeks before it settled down.

It has been used for drips and IV antibiotics while in hospital and for taking blood too at times in hospital, which is great as it leaves your hands free. 
    It can't be used for CT /MRI scans or routine blood tests though at collection points. 

You do need to tell everyone it is in there if you go for scans, X-rays, operations etc, or are admitted to hospital.

I can't help you with your chemo schedule.
    I had FEC 3 weekly X 3  followed by Docetaxel 3 weekly X 3 
    Each infusion knocked me flat for about ten days after, before I slowly started to recover.

Good luck with your treatment, I hope you have minimal side effects.