anxious

shazzer17
shazzer17 Member Posts: 3

I have been diagnosed with ductal cancer the Dr is hoping it's insitu  he is doing a partial mastectomy and taking a lymph node ,just scared of why he is taking a node as well does this mean he thinks it has spread ? I feel so sick xx

Comments

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @shazzer17 it is going to be okay. Always ask the breast care nurse if you can not ask the doctor. I had nodes taken out to and had a lumpectomy. It was all part of the diagnosis.
     Whatever is the outcome we have chemo and radiation therapy to fix it.
    The methods we have work. Some are unlucky but the majority get good results.
    I found the cancer council were great to talk to and answered many of my questions.
    You are in good hands.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I had a partial which is called lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy which I think maybe what you are having. It is used to check if it has spread yes but as you are not having mastectomy first up sounds like they suspect contained to breast .Mine was clear so radiotherapy after - they only remove 2/3 nodes and done during lumpectomy. I was not clear on margins around tumour so went back to surgery to widen margins and came back clear. Is terrible the wait but hope you have bcna kit as great source information well worth it. Also many resources on bcna site - I found reading about it all helped a lot as does access to others going thru same. You are not alone and have support here
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Even if a mastectomy it still can be confined to breast, many wonen choosecto or need a mastectomy  as opposed to lumpectomy just due to size and ir choice.  It is standard practise to take a sentinal node biopsy (that is taking 1 to 3 nodes closest to the tumour) to check if remain  cancer free. If they suspect beforehand or know beforehand then they do an auxiliary node clearance straight up to start with. Even if in nodes , it doesn't mean it's not curable. 

I've included a link which has information for you about breast cancer. Also included in that is a link to order your "My journey kit" which is very helpful after diagnosis.

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/

Welcome to the site. The beginning is so hard and we are here to help. Kath x
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @shazzer17, welcome to the site. It's scary stuff this cancer, and you are at one of the worst stages with anxiety packed uncertainties. It does get better. Once your pathology from the lumpectomy returns then you'll have your treatment plan - your very own personalised plan of attack. Until then if you can, try and focus on calming activities, meditations, deep breathing techniques - you'll still worry yourself stupid, but that's perfectly normal. Come here to vent, rant, rave, de-stress, or to just have company with what you're going through. We are your personal cheersquad!!! Big calming hugs to you. Xx Cath
  • steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Hi shazzar17 Such a challenging time  I had a lumpecyomy and 5 nodes removed nearly 3 weeks ago  I encourage you to try and not overthink things and have a key support person with you for all appoinitments  The previous posts have great insight and knowledge  and each person is individual  Thinking of you in the waiting game and keeping you in my prayers  wrap around hugs xo  
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Welcome Shazza, they usually take the sentinel node which is the one closest to the breast and yes it it to find out if its thinking of branching out to somewhere else. If the node pathology is negative for cancer that's great but if it tests positive it means they will do another op in the arm pit to take other nodes to test. That's the bit they never told me and I was totally unprepared for the possibility of it. Knowledge gives you preparation time to cope. Here is a search engine to find your local postcode one near you. https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx?close=y
    Contact her and she will be your advocate in finding out lots of things for you and for support. <3
  • steplightly
    Hi Shazza  wanted to check in with you and hope the information here and what you are being given by the people caring for you is helping reduce the anxiety.  Take care  x Ali
  • shazzer17
    Hi thank you Ali some days are ok just awaiting lymph node mapping and the op on the 4th just scared about what the result will be xx
  • steplightly
    Yes The waiting game is just riddled with pointy bits and I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you count down the days till surgery  Then the next waiting game,while you heal, for results. hoping for all good outcomes for you xo
  • shazzer17

Thanks so much Ali xx

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    It's natural to be fearful entering a world of words you never heard before . I wanted to tell you this month it will be 5 years for me but I will never forget my day I was told, there are good bad and better days but you get through it . Adean xx