Travel Insurance

DCPDCP Member Posts: 19
Hi Ladies, Can anyone recommend a company that will cover me for travel insurance after a breast cancer diagnosis? My family are heading over to Fiji in July and Bali at some stage as well. Thanks.


  • tultul Member Posts: 13
    I just returned from overseas. Had Bupa to insure me. I think it increased my premium but not too much - they give you the option to make the insurance including this condition or not, I decided to include They do assessment over the phone and they approved me immediately. Just be truthful, as in case something happened and you were not honest with them your insurance will become void 
  • DCPDCP Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Tul, Im with NIB so I might give them a call and see what they have available
  • Cate64Cate64 Member Posts: 439
    @DCP it all depends on how long since treatment & whether or not you are still receiving treatment.
    If you have mets then it is very difficult to get insurance to cover it... most of them will cover everything else but that..
  • DCPDCP Member Posts: 19
    Im just recovering now from my reconstruction surgery, chemo and radiation finished last october. 
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 1,462
    I have used Covermore - criteria depends on 6 months clear of active treatment but also when the last hospitalisation was. Worth checking with them.
  • DearBDearB Member Posts: 129
    Hi I used tick travel insurance.  Original cover was 115 for 13 nights including cruise to Queensland when I finally got in touch with them they retracted that and did a questionnaire and agreed to give me cover for  $150 and refunded original payment.  This is the first time I used them so not sure if their coverage. Touch wood we have never made a claim.
  • melclaritymelclarity Member Posts: 2,995
    I concur have used Covermore alot, I recall also that  as long as you are 6 months from any treatment. x Melinda
  • jadziatoojadziatoo Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2017
    We are going to New Zealand in October and I got travel insurance through RACQ Travel Insurance (they are an authorised agent for Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance). I mentioned that I was currently undergoing radiation and  mentioned my previous cancer as well but got approved. I was quite surprised that they agreed to cover me as it will only be four months after I finish radiation that we leave. I did have to pay a higher premium though. 
  • Seamaiden57Seamaiden57 Member Posts: 12
    After my diagnosis we had to cancel our 34 day cruise around Aus. After the medical reports were lodged we were fully reimbursed through Covermore Ins. Same thing as long as you are 6 months from any treatment- you are covered. I haven't explored if a higher premium is paid from now on but l assume so.
  • Hopes_and_DreamsHopes_and_Dreams Gold CoastMember Posts: 750
    We are travelling to Japan for a week in September and wanted to take out insurance as soon as we paid for flights. The only insurer who would cover me was Covermore. I did it on line, answered the questionnaire and got immediate confirmation that insurance was fine with an extra cost. From memory it was around $140 extra. At the time I was just 6 months post mastectomy with no chemo or radiation needed.
  • DCPDCP Member Posts: 19
    Thankyou for all your responses! Ive never heard of covermore, so ill check them out
  • Mum_of_OneMum_of_One Member Posts: 20

    I will give Covermore a call but just wondering in anyone has been able to get travel insurance with metastatic breast cancer?

  • Cate64Cate64 Member Posts: 439
    @mumofone i belive not, they will cover you for everything except the cancer...
    I did read a whilebqck on a post that someone did, but when i tried with the same company they said no...
  • sandramjsandramj Worongary, Gold Coast, QldMember Posts: 203
    If you have a silver, gold or platinum Visa or Master Card and you pay more than 50% of travel on them you have automatic travel insurance.  Just find out and call the insurance company on the card and ask them about it.  So many people have credit cards and are not aware of the travel insurance.  They also cover you for that EXCESS Car hire companies talk you into. If you are in private health insurance they have travel cover also.  But I think most won't cover you for anything that happens to do with your BC - but if anything happens that is related to your BC you'd come home I would think anyway rather than be treated in those countries. Given your time frame since treatment Id say the BC isn't an issue.  RACQ, Covermore but make sure you do it with a reputable company.  But check your credit cards first.  :)
  • SusieQ2SusieQ2 MelbourneMember Posts: 25
    I had to jump through hoops with my credit card insurance: online application and phone interview, only to be denied coverage two days later.  STA Insurance and RACV Travel Insurance both offered to cover me.  I went with RACV as I have other insurance policies with them.   I still have the credit card insurance in place to cover my family and anything not relating to BC.
Sign In or Register to comment.