Lumpectomy this Friday, what to take to hospital?

Options
viking1
viking1 Member Posts: 288
Hi All,
So I am in the countdown phase now. I know I have to take my scans and medication I'm on, but what about things like a nightie, dressing gown, slippers? Toothbrush and paste, hairbrush? I am in from 7.30am, surgery in arvo and  go home in morn. Do I take the bra I'm still due to pick up T KMart?  I seem to be frozen. What about when they say 'no valuables'? I will take off my rings but shall I take my handbag, purse and phone? ERGH!!! Thank you! Oh I bought strepsils for sore throat from tube as one kind lady suggested!

Comments

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Hi there @viking1 - check out the discussion here  http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/16442/prep-for-surgery/p1 - it provides lots of ideas and a link to a resource we all had a hand in developing last year :)
  • viking1
    Options
    Many thanks ☺!
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi Viking,sounds like you are only in for 1 night so you probably won't need pjs/dressing gown.You'll need toiletries and something comfortable to wear home next day ie a loose shirt/top and perhaps a singlet/cami instead of a bra.You can wear a wedding ring and they'll tape over it.If you have someone with you then get them to mind your phone/ purse/bag until you return to your hosp room.Best wishes.xx
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Good luck viking1.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @viking1, good luck and wishes for tomorrow lovely. Hope everything goes sensationally well!!! Xx
  • DearB
    DearB Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Good luck wishing you all the best.   I took magazines iPad phone and never used any of them.     The time flew.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow @viking1. You will be taking all our positive thoughts and best wishes with you. Jane xx
  • Lmc1310
    Lmc1310 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Very best wishes for tomorrow
  • gingerninja
    gingerninja Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hello there @viking1

I too would like to add my best wishes for your procedure tomorrow!!  I hope that all goes smoothly for you x

hmm..what to take to hospital, and also how long will you be there....(well apart from toiletries)... take the things that bring you comfort...ie- your most comfortable trackie dacks/ jeans/ skirt/ pj's, jumper, slipers etc.. pack clothes to wear home that make you feel like you are snuggled up on the couch on a rainy sunday night with a hot chocolate in your hand as you are settling in to watch your favourite tv show or turn the pages in a new book!!  I ran around like a mad woman seeking out button up shirts prior to my surgery - which were absolutely great and handy, but were not really my thing...I was given a few pairs of thick and fluffy bed socks by friends pre op...OMG - they were the best things ever and I really did love popping them on each day after my shower!!

I was really grateful to have been visited by the cancer council whilst still in hospital, and they bought me a few handy bits and bobs,including some small handmade cushions to place under my arms and under the seatbelt (that sits across your chest) for when I needed to travel home. But I would also suggest to pack a spare soft towel that you can fold up to place under a seatbelt if you don't have little cushions for when you go home as that works a treat too.

I guess what I am trying to say is take whatever brings you comfort and makes you feel in safe space.....I had great ideas of reading a tonne of books on my new kindle.....nup...A) turns out I hate the kindle....I need paper....and B)I was too dozey to focus on the text for more than a few minutes :)

My only other suggestion is to keep in touch here as you feel you are up to it - as there are so many avenues of support from some pretty amazing women who really do understand.  As a relative newbie here myself I can only say how greateful I am to have joined this site (despite my initial reluctance)......this is such a safe space to ask any questions, cry, vent, laugh.....and to come and go as you need to without any pressure.

Thinking of you as you embark on your new journey x

Sally x

• viking1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks I hopped straight on to that list @nikkid ☺ Sister isn't feeling up to driving me in at  6.30am tomorrow so dad to the rescue! I was going to grab an uber but he insisted. I suggested just dropping me off as I will be too anxious to put on a brave face. I found out I'm first in line for surgery in the arvo! Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Have spent the day cleaning my flat so it's germ free to come home to. Though I'm 52 and dad's a star, this is when you miss your mum and how she went about looking after you when you were ill.  xxx
  • LMK74
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @viking1, it doesn't matter what age we are we will always miss our mum. This is the hardest part of the journey for me,doing this all without my mum. I miss her so much my heart aches without her.
    Gosh now I'm crying.
    Good luck today
    Lisa xo
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @viking1 I'm glad that list helped, it really is concise and so helpful! All the best, we're thinking of you, and I totally know what you mean, I've been through this twice without my Mum, and its super hard on so many levels. I'm so glad you have your dad as did I, it was just different. Hang in there and let us know how you go, you will blitz it!!! you'll see big hugs Melinda xo

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Thinking of you @viking1 - sending big hugs and let us know how you go xxxxx
  • LMK74
    Options
    Viking1, so good to hear everything went well.
    Lisax