On a healthy eating education.

Options
Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
I recently did an online BCNA course in Healthy Eating and Breast Cancer. There is a booklet available which the course followed from BCNA. You can either download it of order a hard copy for free from BCNA, thankyou btw BCNA for that. With my chemo brain I had to keep on repeating my lessons but I think i got something out of it all. I went crazy the other night and had not 5 portions of veg for dinner but 9! Ok, I had KFC last night and boy did it kill my insides. Not having that again. :(
Anyway, while exploring youtube I came across this Dr Josh Axe video on cooking oils. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BigpBa_9g
I am thinking while it is important to eat the right foods, its also important to prepare them properly. I am very guilty of frying stuff up using vegetable oils, Oops! Going to have a big chuck out of my pantry and get some good virgin olive oils in there instead. :)
How are you ladies going with cooking and food? Any good tips? When a cake mix says add vegetable oil and egg, can I substitute that for olive oil or will it taste blah?

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi @Brenda5, I was referred to Survivorship Clinic which is a 2 hour consultation with various people including a dietician. I had to fill out a 3 day eating plan beforehand. My diet is as healthy as it can be. I only eat organic including all foodstuffs. Have only ever cooked with organic extra virgin olive oil but the dietician said I wasn't eating enough veges. Family were already complaining about the amount. So a salad sandwich for lunch & 5 veges at night is not enough. It is hard on a daily basis so I think if you eat right most of the time it shouldn't matter having what you like occasionally.  You can substitute olive oil but may be a lighter one as extra virgin has quite a strong flavour. 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi ladies, I use light olive oil for cakes, muffins etc and virgin olive oil for cooking and salads. I rarely use packet cake mixes as it's just as easy and healthier from scratch- not to say cakes are healthy! I eat 2 pieces of fruit each day but sometimes struggle to get the 5 veg in every day. My biggest hurdle is my husband who doesn't like very many vegies or salad.He would eat junk food all the time if he could. I eat very healthy and if I try to get him to change his diet he reminds me that I'm the one that got cancer and he is fit and healthy.Even his 90 yr old father is fitter than me and eats crap! Good genes I guess.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I think I've only mainly used Olive Oil to be honest, now its the only thing I use :) so this is great purely as a health guideline the article. Reality is though, this is all great purely to make you feel better only, it has no bearing on BC as fit healthy people get it too...there are no common denominators. So I eat healthy and exercise now too, only because i feel better. :) Melinda 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @Brenda5, I've just in the last year started using olive oil spread (margarine) instead of canola margarine - not for any huge reason, just that it's supposed to be better for you (haven't done any research or sought proof of any type) - and have gone and had a gym program done for me so I can lose my excess weight and be healthier. Also swapped to good quality olive oil a couple of years ago. When I used to do baking I always used olive oil for cakes as it helps the cake retain its moisture. :smiley:
  • Fiona_BCNA
    Fiona_BCNA Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi @Brenda5

I am glad you enjoyed the online workshop.
    Some of the hardest things to make
    'healthier' are baking and dessert recipes, as they are usually filled
    with processed ingredients and a LOT of refined sugar and fat!

Some things to try could be

White Flour for Wholemeal Flour

Wholemeal flour is
    nutritionally better for you because it contains the outer shell of the
    grain which hasn’t been stripped off and processed. Generally this will give you more fibre, which
    plays an important role in digestion and regulating blood sugar levels. 

Butter for Avocado

This might sounds crazy, but actually works! Both butter and avocado are
    fats, however they are very different kinds of fat. Avocado has the same
    consistency as butter, and with its mild flavour you can’t even tell
    the difference between the two when you use it in baking. This is an
    easy swap to make, simply substitute butter with the same amount of
    mashed avocado.

Butter or Oil for Mashed Banana

This is also another great swap for
    butter.  As it has a stronger flavour than avocado, it is best used in
    recipes such as cookies, pancakes and muffins. Use one cup of mashed
    banana to one cup of butter or oil.

Butter for Greek yogurt

Use Greek yogurt instead of butter when you're baking to reduce fat in your finished product while keeping it moist and tender.

Australian Healthy Food Guide magazine, written by a team of dietitians, has a great website with a broad range of ‘smart swap’ ideas - http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/newsearch?api=smart+swaps

Warm regards

Fiona
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Thanks @Fiona_BCNA, some great tips there.
    im definitely going to try some of the swaps!