AFTER RADIATION - TO DRINK OR NOT TO DRINK

sandramj
sandramj Member Posts: 253
Ive had seven days of radiation of the 30 sessions and wondering about flushing the body of the radiation excess by drinking heaps of water.  My daughter thought she'd not be drinking any water and letting an excess radiation flow a far through the body as it could.  But I feel like I need to rid any I don't need.  This is probably a weird question, but after having those dyes and stuff through my veins for the wire to be put in and to show up the lymph nodes and for any other cancer etc and particularly the drink that shows up under X-ray, I became aware that I should try and rid my body as quickly as possible of anything so potent.  
As soon as its finished I rub the Vitamin E cream in and get dressed and head on to the days activities.  To date there has be no change to the breast, but Ive developed a sore side under arm area.  Its kind of a GRAB like happened when I took my bra off for a couple of weeks after surgery - but the nurse at the radiation place today suggested I lie with my arms over my head a few times over the day and to do the exercises the physio gave me to do after surgery.  Ill be thrilled if that erases the problem.

Comments

• Tuppence
    Tuppence Member Posts: 15
    Hi sandramj, when I first arrived for my introduction session for radiation, the nurse advised me to drink plenty of water on treatment days. So I've been doing that.

It's probably good to keep the body hydrated when it's under stress anyway,

all the best with it
    Tuppence
  • sandramj
    THANKS Tuppence no-one had told me that.  So I will keep drinking plenty.  Regards
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @sandramj I have finished my 25 radiation session about almost three months back. I dont dispute what Tuppence was advised but at no time was I recommended to drink plenty of water.
     I was was told to keep up a healthy balanced diet. It takes a while for chemo and radiation to leave your body.
    Its okay I am alive and well and without those treatments my outlook would not be as rosy as it is this moment.

• AineG
    AineG Member Posts: 53
    Hi sandramj I had 25 session late last year and again wasn't advised to drink more or less water than usual.  I understand how you feel, but the impact will stay in your system a few months and during that time is killing any lingering microscopic cancer cells, so in this case it's a good thing. Remember this is a medical dose of radiotherapy.  
    The first few weeks I was up and out of there quickly too, then I realised it was actually a bit of me time...  no work no kids, no hassles, so I sat back and enjoyed the coffee and biscuits.  You might want to talk to the nurses about salt soaks in a week or so, just to help prevent heat build up before it starts.
    Good luck with it all
  • sandramj
    edited June 2017
    Thanks ladies - I will ask the nurse and Doctor today or tomorrow.  It seems like this journey raises so many questions and because we are so WANTING to do everything we can to get the best chance to beat this cancer and there is a Kyriad of info out there on cures, treatments, preventatives and we have to work our way through the new maze that is breast cancer.  THANK YOU for your comments.  It is so reassuring to know other people who have walked tis path are on here and so supportive.  Greatly appreciated.  Enjoy Wednesday - hump day - :)<3

• positive3negative
    positive3negative Member Posts: 323
    Hi Sandra, 
    My doctor also told me to make sure I was well hydrated but not to overdo it. You can have too much of anything, even water. I was also advised to eat a healthy diet but not to take any supplements, particularly anti oxidants, as both chemotherapy and radiation work by oxidising cells (which an anti oxidant might counteract). I was also advised against 'superfoods' and 'green smoothies' during treatment for the same reason. 
    The advice regarding my skin was to make sure that I had no creams or lotions on before radiation. Afterwards, I would take a cool washer and place it over the radiation site for about ten minutes or so. This helped to prevent blistering. I was told not to use sorbelene, but to use either rose hip oil or a special moisturiser they sold through the practice. It was paw paw based but not the commercial paw paw ointment which is apparently mostly vaseline. 
    I'm one of those 'annoying' patients that asks loads of questions (as you may have gathered!) and I know from this site that we often get very different advice from different doctors and health care professionals. It can be frustrating. Always best to go with what your team advises unless you've got good reasons not to. 
    Best wishes with your treatment.
    Meg
  • sandramj
    @positive3negative. Thanks Meg. Yes we are all on a very individual journey and our treating team have individual ideas too from their knowledge or experience..  I go to Dr with a list of questions too as I tend to worry about things otherwise.  I just need to know. And I've experienced doctors mistakes before.  Genesis cancer care have brochures printed for breast cancer patients undergoing radioAtion so the cream they recommended was Fauldings Essentials Vitamin E cream. (Cheap) and I have a tub at home and a tube in the bag they gave me to bring each day with my treatment gown and "passport" for the 'cruise'. I had rose hip oil but the BCNurse said no OIL.  They also list Dove soap unscented for sensitive skin or QV wash to use daily in the area being treated & of course no deodorant, perfume etc in the area.  After 8 treatments now I'm friendly with the staff and quite enjoy the daily social interaction.  My left side is getting sore around my ribs ( cos they don't have much fat there) but hoping this will level out and I'll progress fairly trouble free. 
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    @sandramj.  I also used Essentials Vitamin E cream on the recommendation of my team, and had no blisters or any trouble during 28 sessions or afterwards.  I still use it on my scar which is now barely discernable but gets tight from time to time.  You are right - cheap but effective!   Like Meg, I was advised against anti-oxidants/vitamin supplements. I also use Dove soap and an aluminium-free deodorant.  I know a lot of the girls use different treatments with good results also.  Good luck with the remainder of your rads!
  • Lynds
    Lynds Member Posts: 9
    I finished 5 weeks radiation end April.  I was advised to drink some water before radiation but (not too much) and I used a wet wash cloth on my boob (leftie) at least 3 times a day after about 2 weeks of radiation  (Method. Put 1 litre (with 1 tsp salt) of cold water and keep in fridge, change every 2 days.  Soak wash cloth in cold water and put on leftie, freezing makes toes curl but after 5 mins when take cloth off, cloth is warm, you can feel the relief, change water every 2 days.  I used QV cream during the day and Dermeze ointment at night, this is very greasy so used to put a tissue over it for bed . Do not forget your chest area as this can get sore and blistered as well.  I was also advised to put some QV cream on my back on the side I was having radiation every couple of days.    I also showered with QV gentle wash in the shower.  I am still using QV cream on my chest area and leftie.   Leftie still gets a bit sore as does under the arm, I was advised to put my hand on and massage in a circular movement to make sure scar tissues stays loose.  Hope this helps a bit and good luck.