Grumpiness

Options
Cyclo
Cyclo Member Posts: 56
I was never ever grumpy and now 10 weeks post radiotherapy and about 9 weeks after starting letrozole /Femara 2.5 mg I seem to be grumpy on a regular basis. I'm not sure what's going on and don't like being grumpy! I've had an infection in the operated breast for 3 weeks now and taking keflex for that.  I wonder if other members have had experience with grumpiness and any suggestions. I'm a regular exerciser and that doesn't seem to help as sometimes I'm grumpy even when exercising .

Comments

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Lol ladies been there to s friend said go to the ensuite and get all your shit out to the person in the mirror! And l did that as well as rave at the family and even my former boss. Not sure why but bc brings out a serpent. It does go away
  • Cyclo
    Options
    So how long before the grumpiness passes? Is there something that can be done? Apart from yelling at myself of course . 
  • LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    Options
    Maybe it's winter that contributes to grumpiness.  I say just spoil yourself and that might just help.  We do have a good reason to be grumpy!
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Cyclo perhaps your grumpy or perhaps your immune system is sulking. How much stuff have we put into our bodies.  I
    chose to live and get treatment but what has my body gone thru
    . So I think when we are overtaxed we get grumpy.Its cold . MY energy levels plummet when I  am in the middle of something eg gardening ,housework shopping walking etc.
    I have stop. I throw a mini tantrum  and head back home grrr 
    What can be done? I am hoping its just time till my new normal emerges. Whens that? Who knows?
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I like that @fairydust. A sulky immune system. Sort of takes away a level of responsibility, "I'd be cheery but for my inner metabolic teenager.' 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    I have found that since giving up all medication I feel 100% better. Plus I have used the counselling services offered by the Cancer Council. They have positive mindfulness exercises. I also live by myself which helps. LOL 
  • Cyclo
    Options
    Thanks everyone a sulky immune system would explain why I feel grumpy before I open my eyes in the morning. I like that, and lucky I live alone too. Lyn 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Grumpy is a passive stage of anger and anger is one of the methods your body can use to rise up to the occasion of beating breast cancer and all the rubbish that goes with it. It takes a bit of effort to settle it all down but I tend to look at things now as 'what does it matter in the grand world scheme of things' and it makes me feel a bit better. Maybe we should be issued with a Pinyata (not sure how that's spelled) in our journey kit so we can belt the hell out of it and feel better lol.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    @Cyclo I think its more normal than you realise. Mine hit fever pitch through chemo, I became very aggressive and Im normally placid. You know what I honestly believe it is?? and for me I worked this out through chemo...it was my lack of control in the situation, it was my life being turned upside down for such a long time, I was tired and missing my life. Im now 18 months post chemo, 4 months post mastectomy/diep flap recon. FINALLY...through the help of a naturopath and an exercise physiologist am well on my way to a better me. I feel better in myself than ever before, and I was so ill through treatment. So I find your tolerance is no longer what it used to be and really? why would it be. You have to fight to get through so much crap....to come out the other side...so trivial things dont cut it anymore. So for me yeah, more the frustration of it all...it will settle in time. xx Melinda
  • Cyclo
    Options
    Thanks Melinda I've spent today being quiet and reflecting on everyone's views. I think I've tried to do too much ,tried hard to be my usual busy self and my body is just not up to it,so it seems anyway. I agree it's really frustrating , the lack of control.  I thought I was doing ok but seems like the breast infection is knocking me around a lot.  So I'm going to try and do a bit less and be a bit more patient with myself and where I can do and see if I feel any better. Any maybe see the counsellor again and back to the surgeon to see what's going on with the breast that won't settle down. Lyn
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    @Cyclo Lyn, I just kept nodding as I read your post, you've got it, exactly what I was trying to say. What I liked was you could see it and decided that doing less and being more patient with you is what you need right now. I couldn't agree more, I found it so difficult when I started chemo, I was so ill i had to stop working and lost 3 months, was horrific. I realised however, it was about me learning to stop, to put me first and nurture me right through it. It wasnt about pushing through as I'd done for many years..it was finally about me, once I let go, I was so much better. I also recommend the Counselor too, they are invaluable if you have a great rapport. Definitely see the Surgeon if you feel it's not healing too. Maybe just say to yourself, this is just for now, my body needs time to heal, when you get out the other side, slowly build back up to what you want in terms of fitness. It took me a very long time to build back up but I am finally doing it. Melinda