Surprise

Options
Janjansupergran
Janjansupergran Member Posts: 3
unfortunately because my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in February I decided to get an early Mammogram (our mother was diagnosed at 52) I'm 57 and my sister is 61. We have both been having regular mammograms since 40. I was not due for another 9 months. Imagine my surprise when I gat a call from Breastscreen telling me there was an abnormality.  I got an appointment for further tests the next morning when it was decided that the microcalcifications looked suspicious and they recommended I have a core biopsy.  I was to go back on the Tuesday (3 days later). I was diagnosed with DCIS. I saw the breast surgeon the next week and within 3 weeks had a partial mastectomy. Every thing seemed really positive before the surgery and my doctor seemed pretty positive that I wouldn't need any further treatment. A week later at my post op appointment I got the news that they had found another beit small 15mm mass that they didn't know was there that the pathology said was invasive. That was a blow that no one expected and I would need further surgery plus a sentinel node biopsy. I was sent for blood tests, bone scan and chest x-Ray, which have thankfully all come back clear.  So now I go in for my extra surgery in a couple of weeks and hopefully the nodes are clear. I have been told that I will probably need 5 weeks of radiotherapy. i am a bit sick of seeing the inside of the hospital (my 3 year old Grandson broke his femur in the middle of all this and he spent 18 days in the hospital in traction. Has certainly been a roller coaster ride but I'm just taking each day as it comes and dealing with each new unexpected situation as bes I can. Sorry about the length of this post.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Well thank goodness they let you do that mammogram early. What a flippin shock though. At least your sister is there for support. Have you been referred for genetic counselling?  It really is important as it may impact on what happens after your treatment and risks to children etc. Hope all goes well. We so get the sick of hospital feeling. Kath x
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Janjansupergran well the upside is with our excellent screening processes they found the cancer. Well the downside you have to deal with it. Hope your sister is okay.
    Surgery is not much fun but it is good you do not have to do chemo. I only had a lumpectomy but did recover from surgery quite quickly.
    Everyone is different but apart from being fatigued and  slightly burnt towards the end I found radiation not too bad. 
    Okay its not a gentle stroll in the park but certainly doable good luck
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Love your supergran name. Welcome to the forum. It is hard to take being told a second surgery is booked but for all that, when I had a second surgery, everything went much more smoothly than the first and I didnt have a reaction to the anaesthetic. I had chemo but no radiation. We're all different in our treatments. Well wishes with yours. <3
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Welcome Janjansupergran. I had the same thing happen to me, 6 months to my next due mammogram I found a lump. Pathology after lumpectomy more advanced that initially expected, a big suprise to my surgeon as well. I am having chemotherapy, and am getting towards the end, where I will have a second op with mastectomy and lymph node clearance followed by radiation.
    I go through periods of being totally fed up with being on this treatment treadmill and running my life around appointments. 
    I hope your pathology after your second operation is favourable and you only need radiation.
    Thank goodness it seems you have got it early.

• Janjansupergran
    Janjansupergran Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your kind comments and words of encouragement. I feel much more fortunate than my sister. She has to have a double mastectomy and she is nearly finished her chemo, she had that before surgery. It is something that I wish we didn't have in common but at least we understand, where someone not going through it never really does. Its funny, she had a moment a few weeks ago where she was really angry with the world and I thought wow that's extreme but then I had one the other day so totally get it.  The name janjansupergran has been given to me by my work mates, I have 4 daughters and 7 grandchildren and I tend to spend a lot of my spare time with them.  I separated from their father 20 years ago. I have organised to get genetic testing especially because of my 4 daughters.  But I think they are better off than us because my breast surgeon suggested that they get MRI's from 35 anyway.