Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

what to do??

Options
Cate64
Cate64 Member Posts: 446
Morning Girls, I am have one of 'those' days. SO close to tears & a complete meltdown.
I have a rash all over my arms that is bright red & hot to touch & the Oncologist tells me its hand & foot syndrome from Xeloda just not on my hands & feet. Why do they not listen when you talk??? I have had this rash since before Christmas, 3 months before I was put onto Xeloda.

I go in my tepid bath with either Pinetarsol or QV Oil in it every night to kick moisture into my skin, I have a tepid shower in the mornings & slather on the moisturizer afterwards.... Some days its better than others, today its bad, its hot to touch it itches like crazy. Im really at the end of my endurance today.

I just dont know what to do with myself.

Why dont they listen?? my skin has always been reactive & after 53 years I think I know what works & what doesnt.... they dont listen & so I get nowhere I just suffer, mostly in silence, till it becomes too much then I have a vent , on here...

Sorry Girls, just feel I need someone to listen to me...

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Hugs Cate64  I feel your pain my skin is my reactor to things.... 

It is hard when we don't believe we are being listened too...
    I wish it was as simple as just having a bath in something to get rid of it... 
    It is OK to VENT on here we get you .... 
    Can you try some Epsom salts to soak your arm in it  tepid water plus Epsom salts maybe lather on some moisturizer or coconut oil after to see if that helps you with the itch and heat. 

I soak in cup of Epsom salts in bath for 20 mins it helps me settle my skin but I know we are all different. 

I hear you  more hugs 
    Solidercrab

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi Cate
    I'm new to this site and just came across your post. I am so sorry you are suffering. I wish I could offer something positive suggestion wise to help but I'm not you and I can't think what would help except to say 'I hear you and yes, it sucks, and blows that this is happening'.   Can your breast care nurse offer any suggestions??
    Share Member Posts: 217
    Options

Hey Cate,

Just wondering if the rash has gotten worse since starting Xeloda & that the extreme heat you are experiencing is also something new ? Given that you have had this rash since Christmas, have you noticed that the symptoms/rash/side effects are worsening ?

Yes, hand & foot syndrome falsely leads us to believe hand & foot only !!! 

As Xeloda is tablet form, I guess it is prescribed from your oncologist directly & that the oncology dept where you are having treatment could be a go-to option is not an option ?

@Cate64, I am so sorry that you are having so much grief here. Perhaps some of our lovely admin ladies could provide some help here (or Cancer Council) ??

Big hugs xxx

• Cate64
    Options
    @Share how lovely you are here. How are you??

The symptoms are just the same my lovely, some days worse than others.... I am just over the Oncologists blaming it on the Xeloda instead of helping me get it under control.... I feel once again, TNH is letting me down...
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Hi cate64, sorry your having a hard time. I have hand and foot syndrome from paclitaxel and my feet and hands just burn and feel sore. Using ice packs helps relieve some discomfort. Sorry I can't be more help.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey lovely, have you thought of perhaps seeing a naturopath for help. Have you tried plain yoghurt?? Supposed to help sooth skin irritations and rashes and also be nice and cooling. Bug hugs Xx 
  • Cate64
    Options
    @socoda  yogurt, what a good idea, i will try that...
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Crossing fingers lovely, hope it works Xx
  • KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    Options

Cate64 said:

Morning Girls, I am have one of 'those' days. SO close to tears & a complete meltdown.
    I have a rash all over my arms that is bright red & hot to touch & the Oncologist tells me its hand & foot syndrome from Xeloda just not on my hands & feet. Why do they not listen when you talk??? I have had this rash since before Christmas, 3 months before I was put onto Xeloda.

I go in my tepid bath with either Pinetarsol or QV Oil in it every night to kick moisture into my skin, I have a tepid shower in the mornings & slather on the moisturizer afterwards.... Some days its better than others, today its bad, its hot to touch it itches like crazy. Im really at the end of my endurance today.

I just dont know what to do with myself.

Why dont they listen?? my skin has always been reactive & after 53 years I think I know what works & what doesnt.... they dont listen & so I get nowhere I just suffer, mostly in silence, till it becomes too much then I have a vent , on here...

Sorry Girls, just feel I need someone to listen to me...

Hi,

Wish I had of seen your post earlier I would of replied much sooner.  Has the oncologist actually seen the rash?  Could it be ok brain fade what do you cal chicken pox when it comes back? that?  oh gosh bad bad brain moment.

Go and see your GP and raise your concerns I've found they are immensely helpful at listening, sometimes oncologists are so fast to see you in and out it feels like you pay them for a 5min consult and get no where.

Was going to suggest pinetarsol  or egoderm oatmeal bath soak which I used to use on my babies eczema rash, you can also buy body wash and soap bars in oatmeal.

hope you are feeling a bit better this evening

hugs xx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Cate, it is tough going and you have every right to be upset!! Its not an easy road, but you do it with no fuss, you dont let it interfere with your aspirations in any way. So yes there would be days that just get too much, the rash seems quite bad. Surely there is something that can help. Naturopaths are amazing!!! certainly have helped me heaps, but I dont know what they could do when symptoms come from medication, can you ring your Oncologist? Sending a big hug!!! xo Melinda
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Dermaid is an ointment that has a topical steroid component. It is available over the counter and isn't expensive. It might be a good idea to do a small test patch and see if it helps your rash. The other option may be an oral antihistamine, one again, just to see if one makes a difference. This isn't intended to be medical advice, it's just stuff I've found helps with weird itchy shit.

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @kim wood do you mean shingles ? 

Cate64 the other thing that helps cool my skin or daughters when we have itchy skin is rolled oats in a stocking then wet it in bath or shower and let the oat milk seep onto the rash. 
  • KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    Options
    oh Lordy yep thats it damn brain doesn't work like it used to may be worth looking into though
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Yep,Dermaid is great for any rash/itch like that. It's a very low dose steroid cream.Maybe check with your chemist or doc first. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Cate may be check  with naturopath..
    perhaps overtime your skin has developed a sensitivity to pinetarsol .
    goatmilk soaps and creams are also used for skin problems 
    I assume you also avoid uv creams ,washing powders.
     Lycra and nylon fibres can also be a problem.sometimes excessive body heat due to exercise can cause flareups