Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Concerned

Options
I was diagnosed December 2016 with stage 3+ breast Cancer , ( some of you may remember I discovered my 50 mm due to heat in breast ) 
Tumour removed plus 16 nodes , now just a few more weekly chemotherapy to go prior to radiation... 
However for weeks have been experiencing pain in the same breast , which they prescribed anti inflammatory meds for .  But the pain worsened, as did the heat from the breast ..  Oncologist sent me for ultrasound concerned cancer may have returned ... It does appear however to be nerve damage , thickening under breast , discolouration.. Consistently of radiation treatment already given 
( Doctor feedback at radiology) 
I have my next chemo this week and my head really worried about pending radiation , ( they don't offer the protective film here ) consequences of nerve 
damage .. What long term effect does they have on me ?? 
Have had no contact from anyone since ultrasound.. 
Michellebella 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    They may be able to give lyrica or similar drug that can assist with nerve pain. I had terrible nerve pain from my sentinal node biopsies on inside arm and down affected breast skin (mastectomy ) and it improved rapidly on lyrica and I came off in a month. It did make me sleepy. 

Taxol chemo can irritate nerves quite a bit so it may well settle down once your body recovers from chemo. Taxol causes nerve issues in toes/hands and if any sciatica etc beforehand it can stir it up.

I haven't personally experienced what you have but just putting ideas out there.

I hope radiotherapy doesn't causes you too many issues. Kath x
  • Michellebella
    Michellebella Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks Kath , just noticed I put question under wrong heading oops ..There is so much heat coming from my breast & it is dotted ( red spots ) joys of chemo xx 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I don't like the idea of red dots, @Michellebella. That really sounds like the breast surgeon should have a look at it. Which can be difficult to arrange.
    I've got 4 more days of radiotherapy to go. It's not that bad. A quarter of my body resembles a baked ham at the moment and my throat is starting to feel a bit cooked but I'm managing the 190km a day round trip OK.

I'm driving up on my own because I'm not in the mood to spend 2.5 hours in the car with anyone who wants to talk to me and the friends that have offered to come are chatterboxes. Then they want to have lunch. Terrible, isn't it... I am sooo grumpy now and I just want to get home where I can have a pain pill, chill out and nap when I want to

The burns are nasty but not to the point of being distressing. I'm fair skinned and very sun damaged so I was expecting to get fried. The fatigue is a nuisance, but at least I don't feel sick so it's bearable too.  I've just started taking Targin in the afternoon when I get home which, though it doesn't completely kill the pain, puts me in a headspace where I don't care that much about it. And it stops me wanting to scratch the itchy bits. I love my opioids...
    Best of luck, Marg
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    Options
    I start radiation on Monday and its the one where I hold my breath - left breast with left lung and heart damage already- but I wonder what the protective film radiation is.  I feel like I'm very trusting of my oncologist and presume because the place is new and gear seems new all is well and they are using the latest.  But maybe not.  Can someone please enlighten me on what I should be asking about the radiation....  Im receiving it in a square of about 8" X 8" across breast and slightly into armpit to get breast and one lymph node that was 1/1mm but had cancer.  
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Some practices use mepitel film, which sticks to your skin, as a way of reducing skin damage. I'm beeing treated at a new facility and though they have heard about it and it's being trialed in their Melbourne facility, my rad onc didn't want to discuss it, even if I purchased the product myself. These things are difficult to assess as people's skin and reactions varies so much. Two people having exactly the same treatment will have different levels of burns. The patches are quite expensive and some people have had problems when they go to change one that is getting a bit manky, as they are bound to do considering that you leave them on and have treatment through them.

My last treatment is tomorrow, they've been zapping my neck, axilla and sub-clav nodes so I'm burnt front, back, neck and under my arm (which has started oozing). I'm pretty uncomfortable, but it's only been that way for the last week. I gather it will get worse next week, then it will get better. I just hope it works.

• KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    Options

I was diagnosed December 2016 with stage 3+ breast Cancer , ( some of you may remember I discovered my 50 mm due to heat in breast ) 
    Tumour removed plus 16 nodes , now just a few more weekly chemotherapy to go prior to radiation... 
    However for weeks have been experiencing pain in the same breast , which they prescribed anti inflammatory meds for .  But the pain worsened, as did the heat from the breast ..  Oncologist sent me for ultrasound concerned cancer may have returned ... It does appear however to be nerve damage , thickening under breast , discolouration.. Consistently of radiation treatment already given 
    ( Doctor feedback at radiology) 
    I have my next chemo this week and my head really worried about pending radiation , ( they don't offer the protective film here ) consequences of nerve 
    damage .. What long term effect does they have on me ?? 
    Have had no contact from anyone since ultrasound.. 
    Michellebella 

Hi Michelle,

Its been a very long time some 15yrs now since I had radiation therapy I can imagine it must of changed immensely since then.  What I found to be very useful for radiation burns was aloe vera gel, but put it in the fridge and apply it cold it gives an immediate relief.  I suffered from nerve damage on my mastectomy side, side effects of this longer term were nerve ending pain which began a year after I completed radiation.  It felt like I got stabbed in my chest and it took my breathe away for all of 10seconds, since that first episode I found if I turned a certain way it would trigger another attack.  All it was was the nerves repairing.  
    I saw a neurologist and was put on anti epilepsy meds for 6mths this worked for some time before relapse, so I learnt to just live with it and soon worked out how to avoid an episode.
    I saw someone mentioned Lyrica this is a good drug for pain and nerve pain.
    Ive been living with mets in my liver for the past 5yrs so I've tried a myriad of drugs for pain over this time.  Lyrica was one that worked quite well for me, but unfortunately it triggered night terrors and I have since had to cease the medication.

All the best with your next appointment, do you have a radiology oncologist that you are seeing? Perhaps phone them with your concerns, or phone the radiation clinic and tell them your worried.

Kim xx