Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Afinitor with increase in liver mets size.

Options
Concernedsister
Concernedsister Member Posts: 7
edited May 2017 in Metastatic breast cancer
My sister was initially diagnosed in 2011 with stage 3 ER+PR+ HER2 negative breast cancer with 4 nodes involved. TAC chemo shrunk the tumour then lumpectomy and rads. Oncologist started her on Tamoxifen then changed to Arimidex because said Tamoxifen would not work as good once she reached menopause.  Then bad side effects on Arimidex so switched to Exmesatene. February this year extensive bone mets with liver mets. Oncologist added Afinitor instead of doing traditional chemo. Had ct scan 2 weeks ago. Bone Mets stable but both liver mets have almost doubled in size. 
Has anyone had the same happen to them and what did.your oncologist change in your treatment. 

Comments

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Concernedsister I do not have information. Have faith in the oncologist . My oncologist was brilliant and had my best interest at heart. Can you go with your sister when she is next due to see the oncologist? The other option is getting a second opinion for treatment options. Your sister may be happy the way things are.
     I can understand if it was my sister I would also seek information. However her treatment may be the best possiblefor her. best wishes

• Concernedsister
    Concernedsister Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you fairydust. I have also suggested she get a second opinion but like you said she is happy with her oncologist. I have heard from his patients that he is one of the best and he cares for his patients. I just hope everything goes well for my sister. 
  • bevvzy
    bevvzy Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I have read heaps about tamoxifen and arimidex. More so about arimidex as am post menopause. My onc put me on tamoxifen though as i am a paraplegic eith brittle bones.  He has a funny way of saying things but said if he put me on arimidex id go from a para to a quad lol so put me on tamoxifen which i heard was usually reserved for premenopausal.  I also heard plus read here that tamoxifen wasnt as effective in post menopausal women. Is that correct? 
  • KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    Options

My sister was initially diagnosed in 2011 with stage 3 ER+PR+ HER2 negative breast cancer with 4 nodes involved. TAC chemo shrunk the tumour then lumpectomy and rads. Oncologist started her on Tamoxifen then changed to Arimidex because said Tamoxifen would not work as good once she reached menopause.  Then bad side effects on Arimidex so switched to Exmesatene. February this year extensive bone mets with liver mets. Oncologist added Afinitor instead of doing traditional chemo. Had ct scan 2 weeks ago. Bone Mets stable but both liver mets have almost doubled in size. 
    Has anyone had the same happen to them and what did.your oncologist change in your treatment. 

Hi there,

I was initially diagnosed in 2002 stage 3 ER+PR+HER2 positive bc with 8 nodes involved, did AC & Taxotere, rads, Tamoxifen / Zoladex, Oorphorectomy in 2008 then commenced arimidex which didn't agree with me so changed to femara, going along swimmingly until mets discovered in my liver in 2012.  Commenced Abraxane chemotherapy which shrunk tumors by 30%, I continued with Abraxane 3weeks on 1wk off for 12mths, then another 12mths of Abraxane fortnightly before eventually switching onto an AI drug Aromasin which I have now been on for 3yrs. liver stable.

so all I can think of perhaps ask if Abraxane may be suitable, but my cancer is her2 positive so that may differ in what treatment. if in doubt get a second opinion if unsure.

wishing you the best 

kim