ALKALINE diet - trendy or good for us. & Immune treatment working?

Options
sandramj
sandramj Member Posts: 253
Since diagnosis Ive been researching for CURES, diets, helpful hints, other people's experiences and feel a bit confused.  One particular trend I keep hearing about and now reading about is the alkaline diet and the acidic.  According to many sites and books and from people cancer cannot live in an alkaline body and thrives in an acidic body.  Ive been reading a book  called "body Ecology Diet" by Donna Gates about rejuvenating your health and rebuilding your immunity.  I have been told many times of many years I have a huge overgrowth of candida in my body and know that to be true by symptoms that come and go often.  This diet rids your body of candida and builds your immunity supposedly.  Anyway Ive been doing the alkaline drink of apple cider vinegar, honey and citric acid regularly and doing the 80/20 rule they talk about eating the right foods 80 percent of the time and eating 80% veggies and 20% meat, fish and chicken.  I just checked my PH urine level and it was almost perfect at 6.75 (7.0 is perfect).  Hubbie hasn't followed the diet and his PH is highly acidic - with makes sense as he is also arthritic.  
I've heard of people buying alkaline water, and taking supplements for alkalising their body, but I have just opted for the free parts of the diet by drinking the vinegar mix each morning and eating only lemons, limes, blackcurrant, cranberries, pomegranate & Nono raw, juiced or frozen.  Eating mostly green vegetables and not eating processed meats.  After a couple of months we can go back onto normal diet but this is supposed to help build our immunity and cleanse our systems and free up candida (in my case). 
Q1.  Im wondering if anyone else has heard of or is using this diet or just the alkaline drink?  

Anyway this diet is also supposed to build your immunity and we know now that it is our immune system that is the new leading research into fighting cancer. Jarred Roughhead has been treated for melanoma the second time it returned and this treatment was basically making his immune system recognise that the cancer cells weren't friendly as they appear in our bodies, then having our own immune system fight the cancer cells.  It makes sense to me that it would be better to make our own body fight the cancer if at all possible. 
Q2.  Has anyone else had or know personally know of anyone who has had this new treatment?

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options

sandramj said:

Anyway Ive been doing the alkaline drink of apple cider vinegar, honey and citric acid regularly and doing the 80/20 rule they talk about eating the right foods 80 percent of the time and eating 80% veggies and 20% meat, fish and chicken.  

You mention apple cider vinegar mix - I've been told a mix of this with helps digestive health.  "...Drinking a glass of water mixed with a 1-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar* 15-20 minutes before a meal can improve digestion..."
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Here is an actual study reviewing over 8,000 articles on alkaline /acid diets. Wish it was as simple as that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4916623/
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2017
    Options

Mmmm. Unfortunately, 'cures' , 'treatments' and 'preventative measures' for cancer are big business. Even more unfortunate is that desperate and frightened people can be vulnerable to all manner of rip-offs by some of the most unscrupulous people on the planet. Please notice that I am not discriminating here between mainstream and alternative medicine. There are charlatans in the wings of both. That has been proven again and again.

The approach you are taking seems to be pretty low risk both from a health and financial perspective. If you think it is improving your general health, it can only be a good thing. Anything that moves us away from processed foods and towards better consideration of our diets must surely be sensible.

I'm OK with the flogging of books spruiking the latest fad. Everyone is entitled to an opinion; if they are honest about how they came to their conclusions it's easier to decide who's view you feel is worth consideration. I'm not OK with ill people forking out obscene amounts of money chasing miracle cures that only end in tears.

As Kath has pointed out, the evidence is not convincing that this particular approach will reduce your cancer risk. I too wish it was that simple.

To quote one of my favourite protest signs:

"What do we want? Evidence based science. When do we want it? After peer review."