Rouse Hill Sydney Coffee and Chat Group on Thursdays at 1 pm

NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
I have started a Support Group for people to meet and chat on, general topics, each Thursday at 1 pm for a Coffee.  We have been meeting weekly for a few weeks.  This is a "feeder" style group, (light and motivational), so I have included all types of Cancer situations.  I am a Breast Cancer Survivor, have met a few other ladies who were interested in this form of communication and decided this was a quick and easy way to get a support group started.  We share stories, and give direction where to get advice when applicable.  Today one of the new ladies is under going treatment for Breast Cancer, so I directed her to this Website of course.  It is interesting to compare stories and feel that I am doing something positive.  It is a good networking idea at this point and we are being careful to be respectful and to be encouraging in a positive manner.  If you are interested then I will get in touch with you after you respond to this message.

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi Bel,
    I will try and pop along one Thursday- great idea. I have Kellyville Breast Buddies group meeting tomorrow at 10am if any ladies need extra support.We meet the first Friday of each month. Hope you are keeping well.Tonya x
  • NaturalBel
    COFFEE EMPORIUM 1 PM THURSDAYS ROUSE HILL TOWN CENTRE SYDNEY.  AT THE LIBRARY STAIRS INSIDE !
    SO FAR THERE ARE 4 OF US.  WE ARE ALL AROUND THE SAME AGE "50".  IT IS LOVELY TO HAVE A SUPPORT NETWORK THAT HAS BEEN QUICK TO DEVELOP AND A VERY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE. XX LOVE TO ALL
  • NaturalBel
    No group this Thursday 18th May as all are busy this week.  Shall see how they are next week.  Last week it was great to see Tonya Mercer from Breast Buddies and she reminded me of what an outstanding form of support she is with a nursing background.  Her group is well established and meets the first Friday of each month.  She has up to date information.
    She also reminded me of the Art Therapy Group that meet each Tuesday 10 to 3 at Kenthurst.
    xx Bel  
  • NaturalBel
    Please let me know if you are interested in attending my COFFEE AND CHAT GROUP this Thursday at 1 pm 25th May.
    We are an informal group and like to relax and chat with each other.  This is a mixed group of Cancer stories.  All ladies so far, and all around 50 - 60 years old.  In time I want to start off shoot networks of a walking group, movies, and even a helpers group for assisting those who need basic house work or some shopping done.  The last idea may or may not work because of people's safety and security etc.  Most people have family and friends who help them.  But its an idea worth discussing.  As we are forming from start, I will let you know that we only have about a shifting number of 6 so far.  Some are survivors, some are starting radiation, some are experiencing things that prevent them from coming.  This is why I need people to text me to tell me if they can come.  Of course Tonya can assist via Kellyville Breast Buddies.  I am still working so the time frame usually is an hour on Thursdays.  cheers from Bel Mc
  • NaturalBel
    One of my ladies who attends made a very positive comment to me via email.  She said she does enjoy the casual group meetings and likes that we keep things light,  positive and encouraging.  I am always mindful of how it feels in the early stages of the experience and making sure I am supportive and careful with not saying too much.  We all have such different experiences and some times too much info is daunting we feel.  People really just want some one to listen and understand what they are going through.  I want to encourage them with my positive experience and outcomes.  We don't go into too much detail, and keep it motivational.  I am hoping to progress down the track with extra ideas such as cinema dates, walks and mindfulness techniques to learn how to manage stress and worry.  I am practicing the breathing and focus on the here and now each day.  Learning to shift your thoughts to a positive out come is vital.  Mental strength is a savior and learning how to handle the "jibber jabber" going on in your head, really that sub conscious mind of ours, its like an untrained puppy.  Great when they behave, but drives us crazy when they won't sit still.  Hahahaaha! Focus and breath.