Lymphovascular invasion question?

Options
Loulou1969
Loulou1969 Member Posts: 5
edited April 2017 in Newly diagnosed
My story I'm 47 married with a 19 year old son ..  I found a lump under my left arm and kept an eye on for a week or so and when it didn't go away so I thought I better get it checked out.. that was 10/3 .. doctor was not really worried but sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound.. went on the 17/3 .. Had the mammogram and the ultrasound and I didn't think anything about it but tech said the I really needed make a urgent appointment with my doctor.. One hour later the doctor called and said they had found something and the need to do biopsy and she had made it for the following Monday.. fast forward..and it came back at CANCER  - ducal invasive carcinoma 

Appointment with the surgeon next day booked in for surgery the following Wednesday for lumpectomy.. surgeon seem think it was only going to small maybe 2cm so just surgery and sental node biopsy and radiotherapy.. Surgery went fine and we when we got results the  we were in huge shock..the tumour  was huge.. 5.5 cm and the margins were not clear.. so booked in the following week for further surgery and clear the margins 

Appointment made to see the oncologist today so 6 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks radiotherapy once chemo is done.. so my cancer is 5.5cm ER + PR + HER2 -  sental node + grade 2 and the oncologist said that the lymphovascular invasion was very intensive that's was little worrisome.. so has any other ladies had a similar prognosis?

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    It's such a lot to take in and yes it can be a shock when they actually take it out and much bigger than margins. My result was also Her2 + so different treatment but you will find many women here would have very similar diagnosis. Have you had further nodes taken as well? 
    How soon until chemo?
    Are you having FECD regime?
    I hope all goes well and feel free asking any questions.
    Great that they acted so promptly and you have also seen an oncologist. Take Care. Kath x
  • Loulou1969
    Loulou1969 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    No more nodes.. she thinks chemo will clean any more cancer in the nodes..but the oncologist seemed to focus on the lymphovascular invasion as it was very intensive. She explained that the if it was to spread it could go through the blood stream. So I'm having a bone scan to check. It seems each time I get results the things get worst.

Chemo starts on the 17th of May we need to wait 4 weeks since my last surgery  before it starts. 3x FEC 3 x Decotaxal? 
    Loulou1969 said:
    My story I'm 47 married with a 19 year old son ..  I found a lump under my left arm and kept an eye on for a week or so and when it didn't go away so I thought I better get it checked out.. that was 10/3 .. doctor was not really worried but sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound.. went on the 17/3 .. Had the mammogram and the ultrasound and I didn't think anything about it but tech said the I really needed make a urgent appointment with my doctor.. One hour later the doctor called and said they had found something and the need to do biopsy and she had made it for the following Monday.. fast forward..and it came back at CANCER  - ducal invasive carcinoma 

Appointment with the surgeon next day booked in for surgery the following Wednesday for lumpectomy.. surgeon seem think it was only going to small maybe 2cm so just surgery and sental node biopsy and radiotherapy.. Surgery went fine and we when we got results the  we were in huge shock..the tumour  was huge.. 5.5 cm and the margins were not clear.. so booked in the following week for further surgery and clear the margins 

Appointment made to see the oncologist today so 6 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks radiotherapy once chemo is done.. so my cancer is 5.5cm ER + PR + HER2 -  sental node + grade 2 and the oncologist said that the lymphovascular invasion was very intensive that's was little worrisome.. so has any other ladies had a similar prognosis?

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

My recurrence was in my armpit too, though its invasive lobular carcinoma. It developed very quickly once it got going and has infected 6/15 nodes with vascular involvement. Really not great news.  I've just started radiotherapy after a rather difficult chemo treatment.

You know, I don't concentrate too much on anything but dragging my sorry arse through treatment (again). Though the people treating us are scientists, the whole process is a bit hit and miss. There is no crystal ball and no one really knows what outcomes will be. Over the last ten years I've seen people with truly appalling prognosis go into remission and keep chugging along for years. I've also seen those who apparently had less worrisome diagnosis have really sad stories.

One foot in front of the other, @loulou1969.  Don't get distracted by the treatments others are having; we are all unique and ultimately have to trust that our medical teams know their stuff. That said, it is your job to be as well informed as possible and keep all over the details that you can influence. This is a great site for support and information, particularly as you get further into your treatment and have to deal with the almost unavoidable glitches. Good luck, Marg

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I had a bone scan and whole body CT scan done straight up, which I thought was standard but apparently it isn't unless concerns. I was very happy to find out all were clear at that time. Yes FECD seems to be a commonly given regime for you specific bc type. Not long now unril chemo starts. Maybe planning meals you can freeze and scarf shopping etc might help fill the time. Kath x
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi @Loulou1969, I was diagnosed last July, even biopsy mentioned lymphovascular invasion. Had lumpectomy & sentinel node biopsy which was negative on frozen section. Then 10 days later pathology was pretty bad. I had widespread lymphovascular invasion & didn't get clear margins & sentinel node had cancer. 5 days later back in for mastectomy & node clearance. Plus I had a bone scan & CT which were clear. Final pathology 3 nodes with cancer & clear margins. My tumor was 16 mm but they estimated lymphovascular invasion to be 40 mm. I had 16 rounds of chemo, 24 radio, 1 more to go, & started Femara 6 weeks ago. So going from early cancer to "a nasty cancer" surgeon's words, was a huge shock. I wanted a mastectomy to start with but she didn't think it was necessary. I have learnt to listen to myself with their guidance now. In the end it was 16mm Er+, pr+, Her2-, grade 2 with widespread LVI. Some of the ladies I did chemo with had LVI too so it is just another characteristic of the tumour. They have worked out the best plan for your cancer so try not to think too much about the pathology. Best wishes x

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi @Loulou1969 . I had chemo prior surgery as my tumour was too large to operate. There was concern my lympth nodes were affected. So chemo extremely successful . Chemo works in halting cancer in its tracks. Radiotherapy is also good. Regardless of what you have these procedures work. . I asked the oncologist what if I didnt respond to chemo and she just said she would find a combination that I was responsive to. Dont worry be happy. You are being well looked after.