Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Cancer in Abdomen

Options
Hey everyone 

Has anyone had cancer appear in their abdomen as secondary? 

I'm told this is rare to happen from breast cancer but that's where my mum's has returned.. 

What treatments have people had? 

Her tumour is apparently small originating in the abdominal wall muscle and it grabbed on and squashed a small part of the intestine. 

They put a stoma in and now looking at chemotherapy to shrink it. They couldn't remove it. 

Any experiences would be great. It's confusing especially with all the medical professionals saying 'this is strange, it doesn't usually happen'... 

By the way she's had three CTs that showed no tumours and blood tests showed nothing either. It wasn't until they opened her up to check out the intestine that they saw it! 

That gave us all false hope. 

Devastating. 
Thanks x 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Have they biopsied to ensure it is breast cancer? ...I'll guess they have. I have heard of this in ovarian but not breast cancer but I presume as it can travel via blood stream it can end up anywhere. 

I am so sorry for your news. Hoping that chemotherapy is effective and treatment starts soon. Kath x
  • ThePossum
    ThePossum Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Kath

It's called peritoneal mets from the bc. It's rare apparently. 

I'm annoyed as she gas finally been released and every nurse and doctor we've crossed paths with have had different things to say about it, often conflicting.. 

Her oncologist popped by and said 'don't worry there's plenty of treatments out there'. 

I feel sad. I've heard so much from these people today, it almost seems like she us dead before we've even started to fight. 

I'd really love to chat to someone that has had similar. 

Thanks x 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Well bc can shrink in the breast with chemo so there is every reason it will in the abdomen and might be able to be resected then. Hope all goes well. Yes very confusing and as rare most people won't know the effectiveness of treatment. Once started you will soon know how it is going I would imagine. X
  • PaulaN
    PaulaN Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Hi my advice would be to sit you're one down & tell him that you're getting conflicting info from other medical staff & tell him it's confusing you. There's also a group here that's devoted to mets, that would be good for you to join as they have been there. Remember the old  'one day at a time'
    Take Care
    Paula XXX

• ThePossum
    ThePossum Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks Paula 
    Where do I find this group? 
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi @The Possum - in the right top corner of your screen, you'll see the word 'Groups'. Click on this and then scroll down to the 'Living with metastatic breast cancer' group.

Or under the 'Who's online' on right hand side you'll see a link to 'Living with metastatic cancer'. This will also take you to that group.

Either way, this will take you to that group - you then ask to JOIN. x
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Possum, I just wanted to send you a Hug, I'm not able to shed any light either on your Mums Cancer, but the girls have given some great advice. It can be incredibly confusing, conflicting and just downright overwhelming. Communication is everything, Ive learnt the past 6 years, if I dont understand or want to know something I pin my Oncologist down. Im not backwards anymore, we're talking about life here...definitely talk with the Oncologist. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Doctors will certainly not commit. It depends on how the tumour reacts to chemo. Some are easily managed and people live a long life with it and some can be very aggressive. You just have to see. I just watched a video on lymphoma and this Dr was very enlightening. Gosh I could be a doctor if all the training was laid out as well as this lady did it. The message I got is many people live quite well with tumours.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHx8p1c3G4
  • JeanMargaret
    JeanMargaret Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Possum, I was diagnosed with metastatic lobular breast cancer late 2012. Apparently it's not as common as ducal cancer and is easily missed.  Mine had spread to my ovaries with small spots in the bones. After chemo, surgeries and radiotherapy it was controlled with Arimidex for 3 years.  CT scans in February showed that it has now spread to the peritoneum and omentum, the apron of rich fatty tissue that covers the abdominal organs.  I believe this is typical of lobular breast and ovarian cancers.  Now on Abraxane chemo.
    While it hasn't gone the usual route of lungs and liver I expected, some of our cancers like to travel to more exotic destinations.  It seems not many people know about this one as you've found out. My onc tells me that there are more alternative treatments out there, mainly chemo and hormone therapies.  He's optimistic anyway, and as long as I'm still vertical and above ground, I try to be too.
    This is a long winded way of saying there's always someone out there who is on the same journey and this group is a good way to find them. Hugs to you and your Mum,  Jeannie

• KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    Options
    @ThePossum just wanted to wish you all the best, I don't have any advice in this area of abdomen cancer.

hugs xx