Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Personalised Medicine Genome Sequencing

Options
Hi Everyone 
My mum battled breast cancer 7 years ago. She has just been diagnosed in her abdomen. Apparently it's very rare to travel there, but nonetheless this is where we are today. 
I've read a lot about personalised medicine and genome sequencing to determine the beat treatment options for the individual patient and their cancer. 
Does anyone know about this? If so did you have it done and where? 
I'm also curious as to who had cancer in their abdomen and what treatment you had? 
My mum had no symptoms until she had a bowel obstruction and they found a small tumour that squashed a section of the bowel. They ended up putting in a stoma but they didn't cut the tumour out as it was difficult to get to. Apparently it was in the muscle abdominal wall and it grabbed on to the intestine.. I didn't even think this could happen. 
They are looking at chemotherapy to shrink it. 
Anyway any info is great, we are all distressed and shocked. 
Ta x 

Comments

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hope things get better. I have no information. Just sending you a big hug . Take it one day at a time. The cancer helpline is  pretty good to talk to. Perhaps Breacan is another organization that may help. They also have a helpline.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I don't think they are running clinical trials in Australia yet. The link below was published last year. It looks as though the research is in very early stages. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160502111434.htm

Current chemotherapy can often stabilise metastatic spread as well as radiotherapy. I hope all goes well for your Mum.  Kath x
  • ThePossum
    ThePossum Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks fairydust and Katherine for your replies. 

I've contacted a few research institutes, apparently the only way is if you get into a research study or trial as it's so new. One day there will be personalised medicine for every cancer patient. And one day breast cancer will be cured. 
  • Lisa1407
    Lisa1407 Member Posts: 258
    Options
    I am a patient at Peter Mac and I agreed that my tumours could be used for research. They have now done DNA sequencing on both breast biopsies and my bone biopsy. They have now discovered I have a rare mutation in AKT-1 gene. Although it is rare, it is good news as they know that tumours with this mutation respond well to Afinitor, so I am about to start tonight. I am just fortunate to have a mutation that they have targeted therapy for (as there are not many). Also, lucky to be a patient at Peter Mac and have access to their world class researchers. Don't know if they make this service available to patients elsewhere, but it would be worthwhile having your mum's oncologist give Peter Mac a call. My oncologist is Sherene Loi and she is considered a guru in the genomics area.

Of course having to take Afinitor comes with lots of potential side effects, so I will have to wait and see how I go!

Good luck to your mum - it is such a hard road with lots of ups but even more downs! Lisa xx
  • scientist
    scientist Member Posts: 19
    Options
    There is a study at the Garvan Institute called the MoST study that is doing this: "The Cancer Molecular Screening and 
    Therapeutics (MoST) Program - A framework protocol for multiple, parallel, signal-seeking clinical studies of novel olecularly targeted therapies for patients with advanced cancer and unmet clinical need." The Lead Investigator is Assoc Prof Anthony Joshua. I guess you could try contacting them directly, or getting a referral from your oncologist. I'm not sure how easy it is to get in.

Otherwise I have been told that you can have it done commercially in the US: the FoundationOne Panel. 
    http://www.foundationone.com/ This is in its early stages so the chances of them finding a mutation that already has an approved drug targeted against it is low, so the results may be disappointing, especially if you have used your own money. 

All the best!
  • KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Im sorry to read this news, I don't know much about this area.

Just wanted to wish you all the best xx