Achy joints and Exercise During/Post Chemo Treatment

Options
2»

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I had MUGA scans all through. I started out at 68 but dropped as low as 43. Anymore than 12% drop after starting herceptin (so they do it again prior commencing that ususlly) and they consider it an issue even if above 50%. Yes...it's very important to be comparing like with like. Hopefully you will have no issues.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    Options
    Hi Au0rei,
    I just exercised as my body allowed, on flat days I did go for a walk even if it was to the corner and back. I accessed a gym instructor when I got a little stronger for 1:1 sessions initially then joined in with a circuit group adjusting the exercises to a lower level. Also do some swimming and that helps my right arm. 
    Just do what you can, and slowly build as you are able, take it one day St a time.
    Trace xxx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @au0rei I think everyone has different experiences as we can see. For me, Chemo was incredibly debilitating I was very ill and had to stop working after 6 weeks, was in such severe pain. By the end of it I literally had to learn to walk again.I have constant cramping throughout my body, even walking has taken along time to get back to.

Im 14 months post chemo and have been seeing an Exercise Physiologist since November, she has helped alot, something I learned is Chemo shrinks the sheath across the muscles!! so thats my cramping, and pain all the time. So stretching is helping alot. She said she doesnt work with anyone going through Chemo, as the body is already stretching itself to cope with healing from the treatment. Apart from some light walking she said post is when you can rebuild. This has been really true for me. I'm in alot of pain and mostly due to chemo still, so work in progress. It is further compounded by Arimidex so am hoping if I switch it will help. 

MY Oncologist said that everyone is different, some pick up sooner than others, but its not unusual to still be debilitated 1yr plus...hmmm yep thats me...so I do what I can to improve things and praying that it gets better than this, as it SUCKS!!! 

Hugs Melinda xo
  • au0rei
    au0rei Member Posts: 248
    Options

primek said:

I had MUGA scans all through. I started out at 68 but dropped as low as 43. Anymore than 12% drop after starting herceptin (so they do it again prior commencing that ususlly) and they consider it an issue even if above 50%. Yes...it's very important to be comparing like with like. Hopefully you will have no issues.

Thanks @primek xxx
  • au0rei
    Options

@au0rei I think everyone has different experiences as we can see. For me, Chemo was incredibly debilitating I was very ill and had to stop working after 6 weeks, was in such severe pain. By the end of it I literally had to learn to walk again.I have constant cramping throughout my body, even walking has taken along time to get back to.

Im 14 months post chemo and have been seeing an Exercise Physiologist since November, she has helped alot, something I learned is Chemo shrinks the sheath across the muscles!! so thats my cramping, and pain all the time. So stretching is helping alot. She said she doesnt work with anyone going through Chemo, as the body is already stretching itself to cope with healing from the treatment. Apart from some light walking she said post is when you can rebuild. This has been really true for me. I'm in alot of pain and mostly due to chemo still, so work in progress. It is further compounded by Arimidex so am hoping if I switch it will help. 

MY Oncologist said that everyone is different, some pick up sooner than others, but its not unusual to still be debilitated 1yr plus...hmmm yep thats me...so I do what I can to improve things and praying that it gets better than this, as it SUCKS!!! 

Hugs Melinda xo

Hi Mel, I certainly agree chemo affects us all differently seeing my friends, me and on this forum. A friend had 16 rounds of TC and she was generally well and she found radiotherapy worse. For me I found chemo wrecking me more and more with 3rd and 4th rounds, nails are now sore, knees and groin ache, feels like my throat is non-existent, dry eyes, and these two days inner of my wrists and fingers are affected. I also feel weak and easily startled at times.  I know I do have a lot to be thankful for and I hope I will recover from these soon. Outwardly I look about the same me with wig and prosthesis on but definitely not 100% me.

i will surely get to a GP to get a careplan and see an exercise physiologist soon.

Said a prayer for you that you will recover from any discomfort. You are a brace lady. Xxx
  • ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Options
    Hi @au0rei

i exercised the whole way through and like others felt the benefits of reduced fatigue and some side effects. I was an exerciser before BC too. I am continuing through rads and am back at the gym. I was an exercise physiologist before I became a teacher and it would be perfect for you. 
    I have been writing a blog on my experience through chemo. Including exercise. If you wanted to have a look. https://carlysfighttowin.wordpress.com/
    Good luck x
  • melclarity
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey! I think the key is to try and find things that alleviate the symptoms. A kinesiologist I saw last year helped me alot. Now hoping the Exercise Physiologist gets me moving a bit more. There are absolutely alot of women who exercise through Chemo and have coped with it all well. Unfortunately I couldnt walk let alone exercise through it...my body gave up in every possible way which was frustrating and upsetting. Doesn't matter how positive or how much you want to do it...being put in hospital wasnt a choice, it was hard not to beat myself up that I couldnt exercise.

I know we should be thankful...but Chemo has alot to answer for and I don't think they inform you enough of the complexities of it. After 6yrs I am alot wiser and I would do things very differently, but hey at the time we dont have a crystal ball and we do what we believe we should and recommended. I know I'll never be 100% and it has honestly exacerbated my Fibromyalgia....brought it on worse than I ever had it. They say that's normal....ummmm really?? we put on a smile present like we always did, but nobody really gets the ongoing battle of symptoms side effects or pain. Its shit!! no doubt, but how amazing are we all?? we just get on with it because we have to. Hugs Melinda xo
  • au0rei
    Options

ccasper said:

Hi @au0rei

i exercised the whole way through and like others felt the benefits of reduced fatigue and some side effects. I was an exerciser before BC too. I am continuing through rads and am back at the gym. I was an exercise physiologist before I became a teacher and it would be perfect for you. 
    I have been writing a blog on my experience through chemo. Including exercise. If you wanted to have a look. https://carlysfighttowin.wordpress.com/
    Good luck x

Oh thanks @ccasper I will definitely check it out xxx
  • au0rei
    Options
    @melclarity @ccasper so I called two exercise physiologists in my suburb today and sadly they only see patients referred by Worksafe and won't see me who's a home-maker lol. May I ask if I should see a GP to get a care plan or do I call up an exercise physiologist who will do a care plan and then get a GP once I found one that does? I am not sure what to come first. xxx
  • ccasper
    Options
    @au0rei your GP needs to do the referral and they should be able to search in their database for EP's. If all else fails, you could find a physio that has access to gym equipment or exercise equipment in the clinic. The referral is called an EPC and physio's are included in there too. Good luck!
  • ccasper
    Options
    @au0rei also see your GP first as most of the time you need a clearance to exercise too. Where are you located? Inbox me if need be 
  • au0rei
    Options

ccasper said:

@au0rei also see your GP first as most of the time you need a clearance to exercise too. Where are you located? Inbox me if need be 

Thanks. I am in 3150.
  • melclarity
    Options
    @au0rei Carly is right, about a physio too. I've never heard them say they purely do Workcover. Mine was through income protection, so AMP organised it and she works with workcover too but alot are also Cancer Patients. Your GP absolutely can organize a care plan to see on. xx M
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    Options
    Keeping moving does help and is a bit of a distraction as well. ♥️