How to keep on track with weight loss or anything

fairydust
fairydust Member Posts: 290
It is never about the diet that is the problem It is never about doing the exercise with me.It is always after many months I stop. Winter hits motivation diminishes. I have read wonderful ladies who have achieved astonishing results.  What keeps you going? I have some success but fall short of the finish line. This time I want to cross the finish line.

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @fairydust up until 6yrs ago I used to do gym 3 days a week and walk in between, and even ride the exercise bike too. When my marriage fell apart and I moved with my kids, I had no time for exercise anymore having to work full time and rear them. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia like 13yrs ago, so exercise was imperative to manage the pain. When I had a recurrence in 2015 the Chemo absolutely ruined me further. I had to learn to walk again that's how bad I was, Im 6 weeks post mastectomy/diep flap recon now and walking again which is great. BUT the ONLY thing I found that has really helped is an Exercise Physiologist, I've been seeing her since November last year and its a slow process but she's setting me up slowly for success. I could not have done it any other way, it wasn't a matter of dieting and jumping into exercise or going to the gym. I needed a Professional...for me it's the only thing that's made a difference, a life long one and recommend it to anyone. I have a way to go, and know I'll never be exercising the way I did 6yrs ago, but as long as Im reasonably mobile and can shift this 6kg that THANKS TO CHEMO I put on GRRRR!!! Best of Luck in what you choose to do...but this really works for me. :) Hugs Melinda xo
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2017
    It's a mystery. I lost a considerable amount of weight during chemo 10 years ago. I wasn't that ill and worked right through AC. . TC this time, combined with an oophorectomy, has had the opposite effect. 

I figured out a while back that restricting carbs and upping my exercise kept my weight down. Carbs and sugar were all I could tolerate for three months and now the side effects of the chemo and aromatase inhibitors have me so crippled I can't run, or even walk distances. Bushwalking was my default exercise program, now I can't climb up a hill. 

I am literally terrified of what could happen if I get back on my horse. He can be a cranky big shit (bit like myself) and I don't think I have the legs to hold on if I have to. The thought of hitting the ground off the back of a 17.2 hand animal makes me want to vomit.

My upper body strength is good and I'm back in the pool but the kilos are starting to creep on. OK, they are piling on. Every old injury, and I've had a few, adds to the pain and makes it more difficult to motivate myself.

Here it is, a beautiful morning, public holiday, and I'm still in bed whinging instead of trying to drag my sorry arse outside. I just ate a cherry ripe for breakfast. Pain and depression are not a great combo for someone who comfort eats. I used to joke that I look like a V8 but that my fuel consumption is more like a Prius. That's not funny anymore when the excess fuel I've consumed is slapping me on the back of the leg as I shuffle around.

I know what I should be eating and am trying to be 'good' but without some way to burn energy I think I'm doomed.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    It's all pretty variable. I too lost quite a lot of weight during chemo with no nausea - but I lost my taste buds, most food was at best uninteresting and wine tasted horrible so all of that helped. After chemo I took out a subscription to a gym (nothing like paying up front to keep you going!), cut back on alcohol (after 6 months not drinking that was fairly easy) and kept up my chemo gut health (more greens, fibre, prunes). I have put back a couple of kilos but maintained that weight fairly well. I don't do anything very dramatic at the gym - mainly yoga, walking, cycling and some weights. Which is where I am going now - regularity is the most effective, and the hardest, action! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I think the secret is ...there is actually no finish line. Maintenance is the hardest part of weight loss as there is no end. It's  about a complete  lifelong lifestyle change, and many many women like myself struggle with this part. What has helped me is being part of a weight loss group. We are just on line members, were originally part of weight watchers which had a blogging area. They have closed this now unless remaining a paid member but we formed a small facebook group of ladies and it has grown. It is a space (a little like this space) that we can share our struggle and swap ideas, recipes and motivate each other. Many women don't need this but form other supporting groups either through running or gym membership. 

Yes agree regular habits and not all or nothing thinking is the key. Well done on tbe lifestyle changes.
  • Tracey1967
    Tracey1967 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Fairydust. At the Summit we had a Wellbeing Lecture. It was all about writing goals for change and reviewing periodically- which keeps up motivation. The questions we asked ourselves (and wrote down on a chart) WHY we want to change, WHAT we want to change, BENEFITS and OUTCOMES of the change, and importantly BARRIERS to change and SET BACKS. The last two where we wrote our Plan B's . Then we tracked our sucesses and reevaluated wasn't working. I have set dates through winter  to review my diet and exercise plan. Around the October, I am going to treat myself to new clothes (I got a Katie's voucher for my b/day). We made a broad goal and then broke it down to a series of steps. So it is a conscious effort of review and writing. I look at it everyday in my diary. Also what primek said is good: talking to others about our struggles and achievements. I am from NSW and the government has a phone programme called "get healthy" - this is making me accountable to someone ( and stay motivated). The templates from the Summit, you may be able to find on the BCNA website somewhere. Hope this helps <3
  • au0rei
    au0rei Member Posts: 248

@fairydust up until 6yrs ago I used to do gym 3 days a week and walk in between, and even ride the exercise bike too. When my marriage fell apart and I moved with my kids, I had no time for exercise anymore having to work full time and rear them. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia like 13yrs ago, so exercise was imperative to manage the pain. When I had a recurrence in 2015 the Chemo absolutely ruined me further. I had to learn to walk again that's how bad I was, Im 6 weeks post mastectomy/diep flap recon now and walking again which is great. BUT the ONLY thing I found that has really helped is an Exercise Physiologist, I've been seeing her since November last year and its a slow process but she's setting me up slowly for success. I could not have done it any other way, it wasn't a matter of dieting and jumping into exercise or going to the gym. I needed a Professional...for me it's the only thing that's made a difference, a life long one and recommend it to anyone. I have a way to go, and know I'll never be exercising the way I did 6yrs ago, but as long as Im reasonably mobile and can shift this 6kg that THANKS TO CHEMO I put on GRRRR!!! Best of Luck in what you choose to do...but this really works for me. :) Hugs Melinda xo

An exercise Physiologist sounds good! Thanks Mel for sharing. I would love to get my body back into better shape although not to lose weight. I am skinny and have lost another 3kg on this journey. I would love to put back some weight. xxx
  • AineG
    AineG Member Posts: 53
    @fairydust  I couldn't have said it better myself, this is exactly what I've been struggling with, especially this last week or two.   I was very very overweight and unhealthy when I was diagnosed (last July/Aug) the stress actually caused me to loose weight for a change so I thought, i'll grab this chance to keep going.  I've lost 18 kgs but am only half way to my goal.  I could say I've lost 20kgs 'cos for the past month I keep loosing and finding the same kilo....!!!!  It's killing me, I can't seem to get past this point.  
    I have changed my eating habits a lot and been really good with exercise, but it seems I can't even look sideways at a drink or a chocolate without undoing about six weeks worth of effort!!!!
    Maybe we can just remind each other of the big picture from time to time.  I'm trying to remember "it's a marathon not a sprint" but a little forward movement would help!  Really really scared I'll just lapse back.  - If anyone sees me with a family size pack of Doritos feel free to slap me across the back of the head!!!! :)
    Aine

• au0rei
    au0rei Member Posts: 248

Zoffiel said:

It's a mystery. I lost a considerable amount of weight during chemo 10 years ago. I wasn't that ill and worked right through AC. . TC this time, combined with an oophorectomy, has had the opposite effect. 

I figured out a while back that restricting carbs and upping my exercise kept my weight down. Carbs and sugar were all I could tolerate for three months and now the side effects of the chemo and aromatase inhibitors have me so crippled I can't run, or even walk distances. Bushwalking was my default exercise program, now I can't climb up a hill. 

I am literally terrified of what could happen if I get back on my horse. He can be a cranky big shit (bit like myself) and I don't think I have the legs to hold on if I have to. The thought of hitting the ground off the back of a 17.2 hand animal makes me want to vomit.

My upper body strength is good and I'm back in the pool but the kilos are starting to creep on. OK, they are piling on. Every old injury, and I've had a few, adds to the pain and makes it more difficult to motivate myself.

Here it is, a beautiful morning, public holiday, and I'm still in bed whinging instead of trying to drag my sorry arse outside. I just ate a cherry ripe for breakfast. Pain and depression are not a great combo for someone who comfort eats. I used to joke that I look like a V8 but that my fuel consumption is more like a Prius. That's not funny anymore when the excess fuel I've consumed is slapping me on the back of the leg as I shuffle around.

I know what I should be eating and am trying to be 'good' but without some way to burn energy I think I'm doomed.

A big virtual hug to you lovely. xxx
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678

I agree with primek, maintenance is the hardest part of weight loss. Its so easy to get complacent about eating healthy and exercise.  I find my support in online programs.  I did a few, started a facebook group for one (the program finished and we kept going) and a few months ago I started a new program and got a job with them. 

My top tip would be forget about motivation, use the words dedication, determination and persistence.  Daily exercise becomes a habit after a while, especially if you are doing something you love.

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    A million thank yous. @melclarity I was thinking about a trainer....not a bad idea...@Zoffiel...You doomed ..never ..with such a good sense of humour not possible...@Afraser ...thanks  just do it...Primek support group .Well why not?
    @Tracey different approach Okay...Aine G mm big picture indeed,agree.
    Finally @Mira persistance  persistance persistance.  Isnt that what we have all been through. If I have misunderstood what anyone was trying to say I apologise. Maybe if I break it down one day one week at a time. Hey thats what I did with endless chemo and then surgery and radio guess what it worked . I will  keep you posted .
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Hey fairydust, if you want somewhere to stay accountable you are welcome to join my little facebook group.  Its a small, quiet group, very friendly and supportive.  We check in regularly with each other and there's no pressure or judgement at all.  You do your own thing, we just help you stay accountable.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/FastTrackLounge/
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I just eliminated milk out of my coffee and only drink unsweetened black now (7kj). My weight has stopped creeping up and is now creeping down which I sort of worry a bit about but hey there is plenty of padding around the bum and legs I could do without lol. Walking really is a great exercise. Don't go for the hills, just regular walks. I don't do a lot of exercise but due to my dogs wanting a walk every evening we walk 1.5km and back. They annoy me until I take them so I do. If your horse has too much energy, lunge him first, then ride him at a walk. Teach him to do the fast walking and not the jiggy jog. I had a black stallion once who could really get down and walk fast. His head would be swinging side to side and I think he thought it a challenge how fast he could do it. As in between foods I usually go for fruit and nuts and cut out soft drinks altogether. I eat a pretty good breakfast and since I get out of bed late I usually skip lunch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    Hey Fairydust,
    I walk and walk and walk. Sometimes my muscle pain pulls me back, however I can walk. That's as much as I can do at the moment......Fitbit is my friend.
    Cuddles Trace xx
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    @Zoffiel, I hear you about the horse.
    I got up on Friday, beautiful day, but nearly two months with no riding, he was frisky.
    We did walk and trot transitions, up and down, faster and slower, lots of halts and back ups. My coach has said they are the most important part of any work, and really work the brain to keep both of you focussed. 
    Monday I lunged first (he was a fool and actually ended up falling over) then we did ground work, lots of transitions again including trot, fast trot, slow trot, trot to halt. Really good work out for me the very best thing for him. My coach again, if it ain't working on the ground it ain't going to get better on top!
    I did ride but no canter until he is reliable again in walk and trot. 
    Some days I just do groundwork if I am not feeling up to riding.

I really didn't feel like going out to the stables on Friday, but once I got out there it was good.

I hope you can find your motivation too, Mel's idea of the Exercise physiologist is my best bet, I think.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Oh gawd, @Unicornkisses, I'm familiar with the falling over thing. 'Big' is not the most stable animal in any way and is prone to 'lapses of concentration'. I've seen him fall in the paddock a couple of times while being a complete dick. It sounds like a side of beef being dropped out of a helicopter. The only time I've been on him when he went down was when we were on a mad rearing jag and I pulled him over. It's a long way down. He's a volatile ex racehorse who forgets stuff, gets the wind up his skirt and wants to leave at speed. 
    When it's all going well I feel like the queen of the world up there, when he's doing airs above the ground on a busy road with his nose hauled around to my boot  and sparks flying off his hooves it's a different matter. Neither my nerves or my balance are up to it anymore.