Only two weeks into the journey

Options
13»

Comments

• LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Kitty 68, I hope your surgery goes smoothly, best of luck. It's great you have your kids supporting you also. The team at the royal Brisbane are great. Sorry about your job too but you stood up for yourself so good on  you.
    All the best and let us know how you go with it all.
    Lisa x
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    If you haven't accepted that payout yet, please, please have a look at what sickness insurance you have attached to your super. If it is up to date you may be much better off telling them to shove the payout, taking leave then sitting on your insurance--which is usually 75%of your wage--for a year or so until you are well enough to resume your normal duties.

Treatment can take a long time, I've got no income at the moment and was diagnosed 3weeks after I accepted a redundancy. I can't access my super insurance because of that and it will be nearly a year off work for me, then only going back part time. I'd have been nearly $30k better off on the insurance money than I was from the payout.

BTW, I'd love to get hold of your erroneous 'manager'. It makes me see all shades of red when I read things like that. They need edumacating, they do :)

Good luck @MKitty68. I don't want to complicate things for you, but that super insurance often gets forgotten. Marg xxx
  • MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Zoffiel my contract ends in 7 weeks, so I'd not be eligible for much anyway. There was also a 3 month waiting period for it, for which time I'd have no income at all. 
    I had tried getting in touch with my super company, left a message with their message service for a call back & never got one. I couldn't find anything on their website that could tell me if I had any or not. It was confusing. 
  • MKitty68
    Options
    That company is waiting to find out if they got the HSP tender which another company has also applied for, I have a friend who now works for the other company, she believes that they will get it instead, and has asked for my resume, so I have a high likelihood of getting a job through them, she was going through chemo whilst working there, working every second day, and she said they have been wonderful. 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options

@MKitty68 What super are you with? I had 2 and at the time of chemo I exhausted all avenues of financial assistance was a bloody nightmare!! it was about 4 months post treatment I rang my education super VicSuper and they had an inbuilt component was a shitload of paperwork, but no problem at all, yes a 3 month waiting but I applied in like March/April 2016 and I had stopped working in September 2015, so I had served my waiting period and the bonus I got backpaid like 3 months, though they only pay 65% of your full time working capacity wage. Ive been on it ever since its 2yrs and runs out in January 2018. Its enabled me to work 3 days a week since March 2016 and now I had to have surgery 16 months post chemo Ive been off 11 weeks and theyve paid and I took LWOP and kept my sickleave. 

Not sure what work you do, I know your contract is ending but if you had it built into a super, theyd still pay it as your capacity to work would be reduced regardless. 

Hugs Melinda xo
  • MKitty68
    Options
    Hi Melinda, I'm with REI Super which is a real estate industry super fund as I used to work in real estate. I now work in a community services field housing refugees. 
  • melclarity
    Options
    Aaah ok, I had a bit of a look at that Super and it looks like Income Protection is additional. Ohhh community services sounds much more interesting!!! Looks like you are onto things, being asked for your resume. Let us know how you go!! Melinda xo
  • MKitty68
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'll change to a different super provider for the future! 
    I had my pre admission clinic today. I took my daughter with me, I'm glad I did - she said she feels more confident now after being there with me today. 
    I got my breast form, special bra, pillow & bag for my drain bag. 
    Suddenly it's all getting so real. :-( 

I just got my flu jab at my GP, can't afford to catch anything now! Also got some sleeping pills just in case I have trouble sleeping. 
  • melclarity
    Options
    Yes good idea try and find one with it included which is tough, but it helped me so much. Ohhh thats great you took your daughter, it absolutely helps them too.

Both my kids were 16 and 18 and came to a few of my chemo infusions, they said it helped them not be afraid of what was happening and the reality of it all. 

It is becoming real and the unknown is tough, but you sound like youre doing great, one thing at a time it really will help you stay focused and calm. xx
  • MKitty68
    Options
    My daughter is 23 & is the one who is going to be looking after me at home. She lives in Toowoomba with friends, but has come to stay for a few weeks to take care of me & do those things that I can't after surgery. 
  • melclarity
    Options
    Ohhh that's great!!! my 19yo daughter was fabulous too, thats so great to hear! xx M