Only two weeks into the journey

Options

Comments

• Danielle49
    Danielle49 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I said so much more and it didn't post ..!!!
    i wanted to say good luck with your Oncology app .. 
    I was diagnosed feb 17th with IDC Grade 3 had first chemo 5 days ago... Off to "Feel good look better session " in prep of hair loss
  • MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    Hi Danielle, I also have a male flat mate/border. He's good company when he's home, but I'm the one does all the cooking & cleaning. He washes up after dinner though. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Great you have a support person (and especially one that can give great hugs :) ). Hoping all goes well for you. Kath x
  • MKitty68
    Options
    Danielle49  good luck with your appointment. I've heard of the "Feel good look better". 
    & thank you for your well wishes, all are appreciated 
  • MKitty68
    Options
    I met my surgeon & the consultant on Wednesday, i really liked them and felt comfortable with my surgeon. 
    They both said straight out that I need to have a mastectomy due to the sizes and positions of the spots and that one is invasive. He is also doing an auxiliary clearance on the left side. I asked if he is able to save my nipple with the sensitivity intact, so he is going to do his best to do that, but said I need to be prepared that it may not survive & would then need to be removed. I have decided that it's something that is important to me to try & save it - for reasons of sensation, not aesthetics. 
    My surgeon also said that I will need chemo and he believes that I am also going to need radiotherapy.

My breasts are quite large, and he recommended that they use my tummy (which is also a bit large) to reconstruct my breast from but said that the reconstruction will have to wait for about a year as the radiation can destroy the new breast. 

I am booked for surgery on 23rd May - the day after my birthday, well at least it's only my 49th and not my 50th! 
  • primek
    Options
    Oh great that you have a plan and happy with your surgeon. 
  • Butterfly 40
    Butterfly 40 Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I am glad that you have a plan and a date for your mastectomy now. I am booked in for double mastectomy and reconstruction this Friday. I would like to keep my nipples too. My plastic surgeon did nipple delay procedure last Thursday. This procedure can increase the survival rate post mastectomy. He also took biopsy from the nipples, it will determine if I can keep the nipples. I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Best wishes for you in your journey! 

Big gentle hugs for you! Xxx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @MKitty68 Im glad too you have a plan in progress, thats half the battle. Im also large breasted and im 9 weeks post left breast mastectomy /diep flap recon (using my tummy) I lost my nipple as i had radiation in 2011 but kept most of the skin of the breast. I was so upset at the thought of losing my nipple BUT so bizarre i haven't missed it at all its weird! Literally havent thought of it..so showed the idea of the loss was worse than the reality
  • MKitty68
    Options
    @melclarity, one of my main sexual arousal things is my nipples, hence why I want to try keeping them. Only time will tell I guess. 

Thank you ladies
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Oh totally agree with you!  If i couldve i would've just wanted to say my surprise strangely i still have a sensation so odd! But haven't missed it. It is too only 1 breast so i have my good one lol. Figers crossed
  • MKitty68
    Options
    I have a question, I have a new boyfriend- very new, like 1 week new.... lol. He's aware of my cancer & is supportive & wonderful. 
    we go motorbike riding, he has a really large powerful bike (2,300cc Triumph Rocket III) , so it's a relatively smooth ride, but how long after surgery can I get back on without being in a world of pain? 
    Also, how long after surgery before we can resume sexual activities? 
  • Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    Options
    Hi @MKitty68, have you or your breast care nurse ordered a My Journey Kit? This is a free resource that we offer. It contains information, a journal, a booklet for partners, and other resources that you might find helpful. You can also order a My Care Kit, which contains a mastectomy bra and other useful things. 

To order a My Journey Kit online, visit https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/my-journey-kit/
    To order a My Care Kit online, visit https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/my-care-kit/

Or give us a call at 1800 500 258.
  • MKitty68
    Options
    @Cosette_BCNA , yes I have the My Journey kit & I believe they are or have ordering/ordered the My Care Kit for me
  • MKitty68
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I had a call from the hospital last week, there is no metastasis! They noted some thickening or something on my spine, but i'm not at all surprised by that as I have herniated disks & pinched nerves in my back. They said the Dr's are not concerned at  all, but they want to check it out just to cover themselves she said. They will book me in for an MRI, but she said that won't come up for a few weeks or even a couple of months. I'm pleased that they're going to investigate, but i'm not worried at all. 
    My daughter is now here with me & is staying until 2 weeks post op. My son who was estranged from me since September also called & things are good between us again, so i'm very relieved about that. 
    I have started to do some preparation cooking - currently making a veggie pea & ham soup, I will do a chicken & veggie soup, pumpkin & sweet pepper soup, & lasagna. A friend of mine made me some of his very yummy home made spaghetti sauce & has it ready frozen in portions. At least I know i'll have some good food that only needs to be heated up. I have also stocked up on supplies as my daughter doesn't drive. 

My work... well, i had my manager (who is young & hasn't been in the position for very long) 'offer me a payout'  when i looked at the payout figure, it was only half of what i was entitled to - she also has concocted some idea that there are performance issues with my work - something that no one else in our department can understand as i do as much work in the same amount of time as everyone else - anyway, this 'offer' was delivered as more of a threat, and delivered on a Friday and told to let them know my decision on the Monday! It naturally upset me greatly & I was very stressed out by that! I went to my union, who went to senior management, and everything is sorted now. She breached several protocol's and did not follow procedure on more than one instance. 
    I am taking the payout as no one on fixed term contracts are being renewed anyway & financially I am better off doing it this way & i get to take the time to heal from surgery, then chemo, etc. I will pay my rent up 3 months ahead & live frugally for a while to make it last as long as possible. So I have had a rather stressful week & a half, but thanks to me standing up for myself, I will be better off financially, at least for a little while.
    I finish up work on Thursday, they'll have a morning/afternoon tea for me, so that will be lovely. I have made a lot of friends in all different departments in the 6 months that I've been there & I will definitely miss the camaraderie with colleagues, as well as some of my clients.  

Pre-admission clinic is this Wednesday, then surgery next Tuesday. I am feeling pretty calm at this point, but my usual with surgeries in the past has been calm right up until i am waiting to be wheeled into theater... but those times what would go through my head was "but what if they find cancer?"  and this is for cancer... so i really don't know how i'll handle that part this time. Only time will tell I guess. 
  • primek
    Options
    @MKitty68

Re the bike riding. Its up to you but with straight mastectomy you may be ready to do a ride within 3 weeks. 6 at most.

Re sexual activity...as soon as you feel ready, my husband and I resumed within 10 days..it was really important for me to feel loved even more than before of my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I have lost all of the sensation I once loved in the breast area, but we have adapted.

Great news that no mets woohoo.

How horrible about the whole way the job situation was handled. Hope all goes well. It really was appalling treatment.